The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What mics to buy for drum overheads?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Look for a pair of AKG C460's, the predecessor to the current C480. They're modular (you can still buy all the CK-6x capsules, which AKG still makes for the 480).
Joel, do you know if the new 480 are the same as the old 460?

Otherwise, anyone with peluso CMC6 and liking them on OHs?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by funka
Otherwise, anyone with peluso CMC6 and liking them on OHs?
I've got both a pair of the peluso's and a pair of the Josephson C42s. After using the josephsons for a year in that position, I just started to try the pelusos there.
The Josephsons really excel as overheads. I like the Pelusos a lot, too, but not quite as much. The Josephsons are pretty bright which can work well, where as the Pelusos are a little smoother in the high end.

Either set will serve you well. Use 'em both to mix up the sounds.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

AKG c451b or dpa.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
I really like the Shure SM81's for overheads.
Anyone else use them?

I'm not really a fan of them for the money. I like them on Hi-Hat, but I think there are better mic's for $700 a pair. It really is a matter of opinion and the kit they are on.

Anyone use earthworks tc20s? Very inexpensive.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Josephsons are pretty bright which can work well, where as the Pelusos are a little smoother in the high end.
As I am searching smooth highs, the pelusos should do the job for me...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe you can check the AKG CK391 "system" (you can change
the capsules - different polar patterns available) as an
alternative to the C451.

Altough i think the 451´s are great....
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Anyone know anything about the SE mic's? Also, I'm reading a good bit about the Peluso stuff. Any words on that?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzent
pretty much alot. I get my fair share of Hip Hop so it'd be nice to have some versatile mic's that could work well on vox or other stuff.
heh
Try the Rode NT-2000 Many uses and they sound good...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
there's about 10,000 ways to go.

i like ribbon mics a lot the last few years, but you'll need a killer room for that to really work. if you do, a stereo ribbon like the royer sf12 will do great. or if it's not that great a room, a pair of beyerdynamic m160s aren't figure of 8 mics so they won't get too much of the room.

on the large diaphragm condenser side of things, any quality mic will do. variable patterns can help as well. pretty much anything C414 or above will get some sort of a "great" sound, again, depending on the room. i've had success with BLUE Dragonfly Deluxes, KSM44s, C414B/TLIIs, U87s, soundelux ELUX251s, etc.

i typically use small diaphragm condensers on smaller kits, like a jazz setup. schoeps spot mics, josephsons, etc. will do a great job whereas something like a $300 pair of oktavas will have a tougher time getting proper results.

These are all gret choices, although I've never been a fan of 414s. My favourite small diaphragm mics are the Schoeps 221b, just like Rudy Van Gelder used in the 1960s. In your under $1000 range, the GT44 is a good bet. There are new small diaphragm tube mics available from Golden Age Projects in Sweeden.

By the way, It's Drum SET not KIT when talking jazz drums. Also there is a BASS drum NOT a KICK drum on a jazz drum set.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Hey Chris!!

Do you have any samples of the stuff you've done with the ksm 32's? I'm really curious about them. Also, how do they favor on vox and acoustic gtr

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search