The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many compressors do you use?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

How many compressors do you use?

How many hardware compressors do you use on a mix? Is there a baseline for you?

I find I definitely use hardware on the Lead Vox, Bass and Drum Submix - sometimes also on the 2-bus. Everything else gets compressed ITB if it needs it.

For me it's Squeezebox on Vox, Distressor on Bass, Fatso on Drums or guitar, and STC-8 on 2-bus or drums or sometimes these get switched around depending on the application.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc
For me it's Squeezebox on Vox, Distressor on Bass, Fatso on Drums or guitar, and STC-8 on 2-bus or drums or sometimes these get switched around depending on the application.
This sounds like an IDEAL setup to me. It's exactly what I would use were I able to afford a Squeezebox!! I do use a Distressor and LOVE the STC-8.

J.D.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

cool thank s I am really happy with my outboard selection - I try to pick and choose the most versitile/top of the line stuff to maximize sound/money spent. Clients all dig the results - and that what really matters.
Old 23rd May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
This sounds like an IDEAL setup to me. It's exactly what I would use were I able to afford a Squeezebox!! I do use a Distressor and LOVE the STC-8.

J.D.
Minimum of none, maximum of about 30 or 35.... There are no rules...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Totally agree that sometimes no compression is required and there are no rules. This was more for "standard" whatever that means mixes. I mean most guys will reach for an LA2A,1176, or distressor, or squeeze box for vox for pop/rock stuff right? And typically the bass and drums need something (even if it is just to even out a db or 2 or blend them together?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Somewhere between two and a dozen. Last week I had a vocal that needed 3 hardware and two software ones to get the right vibe. It really depends how it was recorded. If it's a cool mic with a vibey compressor for tracking It's not always needed. I almost always use a C2 on the buss and something to bust up the drums a bit (fatso/1178/33609/ssl) otherwise, some of the ITB plugs like smack! are great.
-Brian
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Brian,

Dig your stuff. I've never tried more than 2 compressors in series - I will try next time to see what it does.

Thanks for the tip.

m
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I usually use 2-4 in my vocal chain. 1-2 Hardware & 1-2 Plugins. Not for everyone, but I like the results.

Rob
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Although, I primarily mix in the box ( to some degree), I typically insert compressors on kick, snare, bass, lead vox and the master buss. If the mix requires more than I will use more. This is pretty much the standard staring point for me - no question.
Old 24th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I use 11, some on inserts some in parallel because that's how many I have. I want more. After that I go to plugz for the rest. I sometimes use the UA LA2A as a precompressor before I go out to the hardware.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

HHMMM......ON mixdown I use a Manley Vari-mu on the drums, ADL 1200 on vocals, Manley e-lop on guitars and a SSL G series stereo comp in the mix buss going to a Waves L2. So far...so good...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

As the true cliche says there are no rules here, but I found myself not using many compressors during mixing. First I try to make some mixes without compression, than decide which need some.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm with Dave Martin on this - though I have to stop at 30

Jo
Old 24th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
I'm with Dave Martin on this - though I have to stop at 30

Jo
Wimp.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Anywhere from none to all of them, and I have about 55 options to choose from...
This is so heavily influenced by the source that i am not sure how else to answer.

Sometimes I seriously dont use more than two on a full band mix, versus the times where the mix sounds "lively and open" but I really had like 25 compressors all over the place... sometimes my lead vocal chain will have three or four compressors and a tube de-esser, along with a waves de-esser and highpass before any of the comps... Or I just have a pultec and a sta-level and thats it... It depends. Whatever is appropriate. Funny when you find yourself at a point in your life that you can choose from like 50 great, great compressors, and you wind up with the Dbx 160X on the bass DI because it works for that song/player/tone.. That is half the fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search