The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baking 1/4 inch tape in real oven
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

Baking 1/4 inch tape in real oven

Did a search and cannot find it.Couple of month ago there was a thread about this and someone wrote his experience of baking 1/4 inch in a real oven using the internal light plus an extra light, well something like that , i am missing parameters like the time and the amout of watts.

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I've never read about anyone using a regular oven. The only thing sorta close to that were specialized ovens that certainly aren't found in everyday kitchens. Even then, that's the rare way I've read about.

It's really pretty easy to just spend $50 and get the American Harvest dehydrator and some extra trays (to cut for 1" or 2" depths if you need them) and use that. I've been going that route for years and it works just fine. Sometimes, folks make this tape baking thing into way more voodoo talk than the actual practice is.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

(stolen from some website years ago)

To bake a tape, you want to expose it to even heat, ideally at 130
degrees F, with a variation of less than plus or minus 10 degrees.
Too cool and the process is ineffective, too hot and you're starting to risk increasing print-through.

There are several kinds of ovens you can use. One thing you DON'T
want to do is stick it in your kitchen oven and turn the heat on
"low". Most oven thermostats don't go low enough, don't provide good enough temperature control, and a gas flame generates quite a bit of water vapor, exactly what you're trying to get rid of.

It's important that the tape be packed smoothly before baking.
Chances are it will be if it's been cared for as a master tape should, but if it needs to be re-packed, this should be done by winding the tape at play speed on to another reel using a tape deck on which the heads can be removed, and with the tape threaded so that it doesn't pass over any fixed (non-rotating) guides.

Baking time ranges from about 4 hours for 1/4" tape to 8 hours for 2" tape. It's not critical. You can't over-bake unless you leave it for a day or so (and your hair dryer will probalby burn out before then), and if you under-bake and the tape is still gummy, you can bake it more. After you shut off the heat, leave the tape to cool down to room temperature before running it through the deck again.

If you want a more elegant solution, check your local appliance shop for a Faberware (or equivalent) convection oven, but make sure it's large enough to accommodate the size tape reels you use. These run about $150 and might be a worth while investment if you have a large amount of tape to bake. Hair dryers aren't designed for continuous duty and you'll probably go through a few if you have a large project. Microwave ovens are totally inappropriate for the job, though I've read at least one report of success with one.

P.S. It is really important to let the tape cool down SLOWLY to room temperature, or the stickies will come right back. Turn off the heat, leave the oven/box closed, come back in 3 or 4 hours. When it's completely cool, then you can play it again.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Check this out
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear
Tape Cassoulet

Tapes:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4" Tape, Ampex or BASF
1 pound audio sausage links, cut into 6 equal harmonies
2 cups bass
1 pound roasted Neve, cut into 2 inch pieces
Gratine:
3/4 cup dried fine Rhodes
1/2 cup grated Piccolo
3 tablespoon parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
2 tablespoon olive oil
Garnish:
Chives, shaved
Mix+ 24/48

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (15 ips)

Add the 1/4" and stir the mixture until the roux and broth are combined and mixture thickens (add 60Hz as neccesary). Scrape the bottom and sides of the mix to loosen any brown particles. Bring to a boil (+/- 3dB). Add the bass and Neve meat. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

THANKS guys , and specially bongo , that s exactly it.
P.S: thejook , if i m vegetarian can i swap the link sausages with SMPTE tofu???
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuggy
THANKS guys , and specially bongo , that s exactly it.
P.S: thejook , if i m vegetarian can i swap the link sausages with SMPTE tofu???
As LONG as it's 24 fps pulldown...
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Here's some info that might help...

http://www.mikekonopka.com/page30.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search