The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which headphones do you like ? Studio Headphones
Old 23rd May 2006
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Which headphones do you like ?

Hi - I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones upgrading from my sennheiser hd25sp's . Obviously thay need to be good for critical listening and my budget would be about $200
Old 23rd May 2006
  #2
Gear Addict
 
StefanColson's Avatar
 

AKG K601 or Sennheiser HD600s.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #3
maq
Gear Nut
 
maq's Avatar
 

Another vote for the HD 600's
Old 23rd May 2006
  #4
Gear Head
I like the Ultrasone headphones very much.
Proline 2500 for open back and Proline 750 for closed back.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

To work on mixes: Senn HD600.

To use with musicians to record when they're listening to their cue and also for second checking, sony's 7509.

Old 23rd May 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

I have a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770's that I like alot. They are just about $200.00 I think.heh I use Sennhieser HD 280's for musicians tracking.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
lordnielson's Avatar
 

hd600 fab gear
Old 24th May 2006
  #8
Gear Head
 
chezero's Avatar
 

I like the Beyerdynamic DT770's too. I thought they were like $250.00-$300.00, though. Whatever happened to using Sony MDR-7506's for $100.00? Those things rock!
Old 24th May 2006
  #9
ultrasones are really nice.
Old 24th May 2006
  #10


I'm gonna take another tack here and say get the HD280's and spend the other $100 on a headphone amp with a cross-feed from headphone.com.

You can turn the crossfeed on and off - that will give you a better idea of what things sound like throug speakers. Without the crossfeed, you get a really good sense of the stereo field, but the center tends to go away.



-tINY

Old 24th May 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
AKG 271 Studio - too much overlooked cans.
Old 24th May 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
kingneeraj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstoff
Hi - I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones upgrading from my sennheiser hd25sp's . Obviously thay need to be good for critical listening and my budget would be about $200
Sony CD900ST (these are the japanese versions of the Sony MDR-7506)
Old 24th May 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
lawrence_o's Avatar
I had the Senheisers too.. until I met the Beyer DT700 PRO or the DT990PRO. Costs about 160USD. Best I ever heard.

Try those and you'll never want a sennheiser again.

A/B them, the Beyer is way more neutral in the mids. You can actually mix on that headphone. Couldn't do that with the Senheiser.

Cheers.
Old 24th May 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 

I always recommend sony mdr series, be it 7506 or other. It's true that they are not the flattest, but if you learn them a bit, you'll love them. They're very good for editing, for listening, for the musicians in the studio. Simply they're very good.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
john caldwell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
AKG 271 Studio - too much overlooked cans.
Yes the AKG K271 are good sounding and very reasonably priced. I bought two pairs. My only disappointment with the 271 is that is does not offer the isolation that its predecessor, the 270, offered.

Does anyone know of any current product that offers the extreme isolation that the AKG K270 offered, but with high detail and bandwith?

John-
Old 24th May 2006
  #16
Gear Addict
 
keiffer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
AKG 271 Studio - too much overlooked cans.
I like the 271's but they seem a bit mid heavy...

AKG 240DF (Openback) is nice

does anyone know how the HD600 compares to the 240DF?

a bit OT but I really like the 171's for tracking. a bit hi-end hyped which is great for drums
Old 24th May 2006
  #17
Gear Addict
 
StefanColson's Avatar
 

Of the Beyer line, the DT880 actually sounds better than the DT990 (more detailed and natural).

Also, be sure to listen to Ultrasones before you plunk down the cash. I ordered a pair of the Proline 2500s and 750s before listening, and I've never returned a product so fast. To my ears they were unbelievably terrible. About the only people that I can imagine liking them are bass players with significant HF hearing loss... But that's just like, my opinion man...
Old 24th May 2006
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

dt-770 all the way, great stereo imaging, great isolation, nice low end.

akg lacks low end and they arn't isolated enough
sonys are seriously hyped, much like their patented " loudness"
Old 24th May 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 

Beyer headphones always seemed to me lack of midrange, though sony has abundance in midrange, but with a beyer you can easily think that something sound nice, though it isn't. Although you have to hear every piece yourself to decide.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 24th May 2006
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon
Beyer headphones always seemed to me lack of midrange, though sony has abundance in midrange, but with a beyer you can easily think that something sound nice, though it isn't. Although you have to hear every piece yourself to decide.
Regards Tamas Dragon
that's a good point, but I'm a metal guitarist. SCOOP those MIDS! Who needs them?
chuck
Old 24th May 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
Sony CD900ST (these are the japanese versions of the Sony MDR-7506)

what's the difference?


.
Old 24th May 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Not too long ago I picked up a pair of Beyer headphones. These are the sealed, isolating version of the DT770 with an inline volume control...I think they're a DT770M. They are probably the worst sounding headphone I've personally tried. In-house I have several pairs of Audio Technica ATM40's, a pair of Senn HD600 and some Remote Audio 7506 phones used for mic placement, etc. The Beyer's I got are the headphone equivalent of crappy laptop computer speakers IMHO. Maybe it's just a tradeoff for getting a 32db isolating, closed phone, but I just know the AT's I've got sound WAY better. I picked them up for use in my one-room studio to be able to do some basic monitoring and keep my ears sheltered from the volume in the room and/or use them for drummers. I guess they'll serve the purpose but I knew the DT770 phones are well regarded and I love their mics, so I was figuring the phones might also be good for tracking vocals as a high quality phone that also was isolated and wouldn't bleed into the mic and that might not be the case. They are quite well isolated, but the sound is just not what I thought it would/should be. Fortunately I bought them as B-stock at a reduced price, but still...a bit of a bummer. I sure love Beyer mics though!

Has anyone else tried these phones that could confirm the experience? I was thinking of selling them off as nearly unused at a good price and just putting the money back into a pair of regular DT770 phones. Then again, I've honestly thought they may be defective and have considered sending them in...and definitely wouldn't want to sell them if this is the case. Anyone out there used these before?
Old 24th May 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
lawrence_o's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon
Beyer headphones always seemed to me lack of midrange, though sony has abundance in midrange, but with a beyer you can easily think that something sound nice, though it isn't. Although you have to hear every piece yourself to decide.
Regards Tamas Dragon

No offense but if you feel Beyers lack midrange, I'd say senheisers have no midrange at all if being compared. I was sceptical against beyer. I took a Sennheiser and a Beyer DT770. Costed the same, inserted them into the headphones plug of a TEAC CD player and didn't take a second to realize the beyer had more mids. That's why I don't like the senns, they sound as with the "loudness" button pressed...
Old 24th May 2006
  #24
Gear Head
 
ObnoxiousTyrant's Avatar
 

Sony 7509's
Old 24th May 2006
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell
Yes the AKG K271 are good sounding and very reasonably priced. I bought two pairs. My only disappointment with the 271 is that is does not offer the isolation that its predecessor, the 270, offered.

Does anyone know of any current product that offers the extreme isolation that the AKG K270 offered, but with high detail and bandwith?

John-
Try the Ultrasone HI-FI 550
Old 25th May 2006
  #26
Gear Nut
 
JazzYoda's Avatar
 

sometimes headphones need to be matched to an amp. I had used AKG 240s for a number of years, and they sound superb when driven by an impedance matched source. Unfortunately, 600 ohms is no longer studio standard, especially when it comes to headphones. Now that all my work is on DAW, I find myself in need of good headphones with a lower impedance. I still use my 240s however, but in order to properly drive them I have to fire up both channels of my Ampex 351 and both channels of my Altec 1567a summing rig. Most of the time I don't bother, but when I do take the time to do it, the sound of those cans driven by a 600 ohm tube source is amazing.

I, for one would love to hear anybody's experience with the Grace m902. I am seriously considering it (it's other function as a big knob monitor controller and DAC is nice too) but haven't heard enough info from real life users.


JazzYoda
Old 20th July 2009
  #27
Here for the gear
 

This Guy is right on about the Beyer 770's

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
Not too long ago I picked up a pair of Beyer headphones. These are the sealed, isolating version of the DT770 with an inline volume control...I think they're a DT770M. They are probably the worst sounding headphone I've personally tried. In-house I have several pairs of Audio Technica ATM40's, a pair of Senn HD600 and some Remote Audio 7506 phones used for mic placement, etc. The Beyer's I got are the headphone equivalent of crappy laptop computer speakers IMHO. Maybe it's just a tradeoff for getting a 32db isolating, closed phone, but I just know the AT's I've got sound WAY better. I picked them up for use in my one-room studio to be able to do some basic monitoring and keep my ears sheltered from the volume in the room and/or use them for drummers. I guess they'll serve the purpose but I knew the DT770 phones are well regarded and I love their mics, so I was figuring the phones might also be good for tracking vocals as a high quality phone that also was isolated and wouldn't bleed into the mic and that might not be the case. They are quite well isolated, but the sound is just not what I thought it would/should be. Fortunately I bought them as B-stock at a reduced price, but still...a bit of a bummer. I sure love Beyer mics though!

Has anyone else tried these phones that could confirm the experience? I was thinking of selling them off as nearly unused at a good price and just putting the money back into a pair of regular DT770 phones. Then again, I've honestly thought they may be defective and have considered sending them in...and definitely wouldn't want to sell them if this is the case. Anyone out there used these before?

No you are correct. The high's on the Beyers, and some portion of the upper mids are like having a paper bag over your head. If we are talking about mixing? I use them to see what's going on in the low end or for lining up BD samples, or for an overall low end check. If you are light in lows on the 770's then you need more bottom. For a single use headphone I do not recomend them, only for tracking Bass or Drums, good isolation and very comfortable!
Old 20th July 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Might wanna check the specifics of which Beyers you're talking about... The 770 M's and 770 Pro's are two totally different sets of cans.

770 Pro's are for monitoring and 770 M's are for drummers to wear while tracking... so I can understand why you think the response is totally whacked up on the M's.
Old 20th July 2009
  #29
JDN
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Loves Gear View Post
No you are correct. The high's on the Beyers, and some portion of the upper mids are like having a paper bag over your head. If we are talking about mixing? I use them to see what's going on in the low end or for lining up BD samples, or for an overall low end check. If you are light in lows on the 770's then you need more bottom. For a single use headphone I do not recomend them, only for tracking Bass or Drums, good isolation and very comfortable!
Couldn't disagree more. The DT770's are by far my favorite headphones. My only complaint is mine are REALLY low volume compared to other headphones, great in a pro environment where this isn't an issue, but a lot of consumer devices simply can't provide enough to get them loud enough. Granted, mine are over 10 years old, so they could be different now, as someone mentioned a pair with a volume control
Old 20th July 2009
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The DT770's are by far my favorite headphones. My only complaint is mine are REALLY low volume compared to other headphones, great in a pro environment where this isn't an issue, but a lot of consumer devices simply can't provide enough to get them loud enough. Granted, mine are over 10 years old, so they could be different now, as someone mentioned a pair with a volume control

Mine don't have a volume control, so I do not know what model they are.
Tracking is great with them! But mixing is not even close to an option. I do mostly rock stuff. A/B Grados or other high end phones and it's not even a discussion. I'll give you if you are doing Hip Hop or Dance they may work for you by themselves? But for any detailed Mixing or EQing that would be like doing neurosurgery with a pair of construction gloves on. I guess for the price, Under $200 they are good!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mac black / High end
6
rickrock305 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
9
Loyct / Low End Theory
6
Renegade / Low End Theory
4
Rickenbackerfan / So much gear, so little time
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump