The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spring mounted floors and acoustics
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Spring mounted floors and acoustics

Wasn't sure where the best place to post this question would be so thought I'd pop it here!

I'm moving home soon to start a rather excellent new job and will be setting up my little home setup in one of the rooms. Now upon visiting the place I was informed that the floors are spring mounted. They weren't half! It was almost like walking on a trampoline Well, not quite that bad but you could definitely feel movement.

I have no idea why they would choose to build the floors like this, perhaps the flats used to be a gym or something, but anyway ... can anyone comment on what effects this might have on acoustics / soundproofing etc? I'd like to think the floors would act as a giant panel trap but that might perhaps be over-optimisitic!
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Guru

perhaps the former owners were dancers. I was in a house that had such floors- they gave dance lessons out of that room.

My guess is that it might be very good as trapping and isolation for your room.

considering how expensive such a floor is to put in, I would give it a try and hear how it sounds before you rip it out.
Old 24th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoobley
can anyone comment on what effects this might have on acoustics / soundproofing etc?
You'd need to know something about the springs, their natural frequency, what the forcing frequency will be (what kind of sound are you concerned with and what will be the lowest frequency), the load you will put on them (how heavy is your stuff), and calculate the required static deflection, then see if these springs will fit the bill. If you can feel them bouncing that much, I'd guess they won't be as useful as you'd hope, though under load perhaps there will be less movement. Then again, under load they may be compressed out of usefulness. In the end, could be great, could be terrible, could have minimal impact either way. As with so many things... it depends...
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks - hard to impossible to find the answers to these details unfortunately, as its a rented property I'll doubt they'll let me rip up the floors for testing!

Shame to hear it could be as much a bad thing as a good thing, was kind of hoping it would either be 'good' or 'insignificant'. Well, its only a shop below so I wasn't too worried about the sound insulation. If anything, if the flat above has similar floors I guess it would be a good thing as it will at least mean I shouldn't hear peoples feet tapping on the ceiling, although I might hear springs creaking!

I'll carry on with my rigid Fibreglass panels plan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search