The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Studio
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

New Studio

I'm currently looking for a new building. I've been recording music in small spaces for ages and I'd like to acquire a more dedicated studio with better acoustics. What factors should I take into consideration when making decisions?

Thanks,

Amstel
Attached Thumbnails
New Studio-thumb2_liveroom-201.jpg  
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

10 feet is generally what is considered ideal.
I've seen high price studios in Miami and NY city that looked like your picture though.
If you dead set on ambient micing, you would want a higher ceiling.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

You're right, it would be ideal to get an already set up studio. This is what I prefer. However, what do you think about the studio I've mentioned (picture)? Should I be looking for a live room with a high ceiling? I want to have a considerable improvement in terms of acoustics over my current little studio.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Guru

High ceilings are a good thing, but that does not mean that the acoustics are taken care of. Even with a 10 foot ceiling, it still is going to need treatment.

>This is what I prefer. However, what do you think about the studio I've mentioned (picture)? Should I be looking for a live room with a high ceiling?<

That is impossible to give you a answer.. How is the room treated now? Did you shoot (measure) the room? What is the over all size? Is it sound proof?

>Should I be looking for a live room with a high ceiling? I want to have a considerable improvement in terms of acoustics over my current little studio.<

Like I said high ceilings are a good thing, but maybe you should try to work with your own room. What is the size of your room now? I myself only have 8 foot ceilings but have covered the whole thing with 2" rigid fiberglass and the room sounds outstanding. My point is really look at what you have now and try to make it work.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search