The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need some opinions on a good but not too expensive summing amp.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

need some opinions on a good but not too expensive summing amp.

Hey all,

i have some questions about summing amps.
i work with around 90% digital stuff, using libraries, plugins etc. but i think there would be a major upgrade or boost in sound when at least using some analog outboard stuff to sum a signal at the end, by not just using the internal summing of e.g cubase.

however, i have pretty much experience with all kinds of digital gear, like eq, compressors etc. but i definitely think that the digital code written stereo master channel of e.g. cubase or logic is NOT the same as i would use an analog summing amp of tubetec, spl or so.

i already browsed and found a few things here and there, but i just wanted to ask you guys if you have some tips, tricks and suggestions about a good and maybe not too expensive summing amp?

thanks in advance!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

A good inexpensive summing amp is the Danerous 2 bus LT , you will find that no matter which summing amp you will choose your DA convertors are the ones that will give you the 'edge' on your digital bus, if such a think exists , without good DA'S like Apogee or Lynx your Digital bus will probably sound better to you .
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

hey and thanks. i only have the motu 828 firewire. no other d/a involved so far.

oh by the way: isn't it danGerous? sorry but in names you can never be sure. i just found something when google corrected me

... ah and sorry, i thought the sum amp had something like audio in/outs. i didn't know that it works best with adat connection.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

My take on the whole summing craze is that if you haven't reached the maximum cabability of what you're using, it's probably not going to help you that much. I don't know what your situations is like on your end, so forgive me... but summing busses seem like one of those things that if you're asking general questions about them, then they may not be cost-effective for you.

My suggestion for you is that you consider outboard gear instead of a summing buss and maybe process tracks and print them and still mix itb. You mentioned cubase, which as I understand it has a "ping" function that allows you to measure & compensate for individual pieces of outboard gear...

Analog summing with no analog gear won't bring you results on a whole new level...

hey, just one man's opinion...
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm with H-Rezz here. The D2B LT is a good option. That little purple box rocks.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

but basically what generally comes to my ear and what seems more important than a summing amp, is a good clock device, like big ben etc?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search