The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So do I still need Gates for recording? DAW Software
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Addict

So do I still need Gates for recording?

I have some gates that really are just collecting dust. Figuring I might as well unload them, but wanted to ask some of the more experienced guys some questions first.

I never use them for mix. I'm in the box so often I do "remove silence" type of gating. Much more predictable and better results IMO.

Live, I don't need the gates I'm thinking of getting rid of.

So that leaves me with recording. The gates I have are keyable. Are there really ANY tricks/FX gating on the way in that can't be done in post? Please give practical examples.

Thank you everyone in advance. Most appreciated for your input!
Old 4th April 2012
I could never imagine recording with a gate, seems way to dangerous.
Old 4th April 2012
I think of gates as relics from a time when an open channel was not "silent" at all but whooshing with noise. Also I guess a factor in this era was the rarity of automated level controlling-- seems as though a general trend toward progress has left gates in the misty mist and dusky dusk.
Old 4th April 2012
The key input was used to create the gate fx synth on seal's 'crazy'

Just FYI I can't think of a trick you can't do with an ITB gate tho.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

I see Gates being used in 3 different situations.

1. Live: At my church they use a gate on the pulpit mic. When someone is walking on the platform towards the mic, it cuts out those sounds. Only when a stronger signal is present will the mic be heard.

2. Vocal track in studio: Getting rid of breathing noises, and music bleeding in from the headphones when the singer is not singing. Sure you can highlight each area that has noise and mute it on your DAW, but it can leave a un-natural silence as well. You just have to make sure the release and attack is set right.

3. Snare: If you want that Phil Collins snare effect, a gate will be needed.

Old 5th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I see Gates being used in 3 different situations.

1. Live: At my church they use a gate on the pulpit mic. When someone is walking on the platform towards the mic, it cuts out those sounds. Only when a stronger signal is present will the mic be heard.

2. Vocal track in studio: Getting rid of breathing noises, and music bleeding in from the headphones when the singer is not singing. Sure you can highlight each area that has noise and mute it on your DAW, but it can leave a un-natural silence as well. You just have to make sure the release and attack is set right.

3. Snare: If you want that Phil Collins snare effect, a gate will be needed.

Are you saying you can't do that effect with gates in post?
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Maniac

I'll still gate certain things but NEVER on the way in to pro tools. Even ITB I really only use it to control the toms and and shape the envelope of the kick, like if I don't want as much sustain or if it's too punchy a gate can be a nice way to control that.
Old 5th April 2012
Gear Guru
I'm going to agree with Joel. Gates are a relic. Unless you're using the key for a creative effect, I really can't see the advantage of using a hardware gate in the studio.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search