The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone else having issues with the TOFT?
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone else having issues with the TOFT?

Hey all I have had my ATB 32 for roughly a year. It has been running well but recently I have begun to run into problems. The entire left side of my mix buss has been losing audio completely, it just fades in and out when it likes to and now I can't send audio threw unless it's at around -10 db from PT with out it crackling and distorting.

Is this what I'm going to be faced with of I keep using this board? Or if I fix it up will it run smoother. Anyone been using them for a while? I know that a year ago they were the Apollo of Gearslutz.

Cheers,
KennyS
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS View Post
know that a year ago they were the Apollo of Gearslutz.
I dunno about that. I've seen plenty of criticism here. You could try this:

Contact Toft Audio

Or perhaps talk this over with Jim Williams after you look at the threads here on GS about the ATB mods he does. I had an ATB for a couple of years with no problems other than that the mix buss was a little noisy. Rather than do the Williams mod, I sold it, got a summing mixer and with that came excuses to buy more outboard!
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hey man thanks I was more just curious if I was going to keep having problems like this after I fixed it! But I hear ya.

Cheers,
KennyS
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Any analog console needs maintenance, some more than others, but they all do, its not plug ind and forget device, the older the console more work is going to be needed, thats what most people fail to see when they buy a desk.

To be fair thou, your desk is rather new so it may just be a defective component, so after replacing it, the desk can run pretty solid for quite some time. But yes, expect more maintenance calls in the future, thats just the way it is.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Just call Barry at PMI. Their tech support is fantastic.
Old 4th April 2012
Exersize the insert jacks. These sometimes loose connectivity over time. You can also shove a TRS jack in and short the tip and ring if that doesn't work.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Exersize the insert jacks. These sometimes loose connectivity over time. You can also shove a TRS jack in and short the tip and ring if that doesn't work.
Absolutely!, regular patchbay maintenance is a must. I recommend the OP to buy a Vertigo TT injector, and some CRC QD Contact Cleaner, or Caig Deoxit D5 in case the CRC doesnt work due to oxidation. The CRC works great and leaves no residue, but the Deoxit takes out the oxide with the only downside that it leaves a greasy residue.
Old 4th April 2012
Except these are TRS asian plastic jacks, not TT nor in a bay. Burnishers won't help a corroded normal connection. Use a non-residue contact cleaner, Caig will leave behind a residue that will pick up more dirt. If you use De-oxit, wash it all out afterwards.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Except these are TRS asian plastic jacks, not TT nor in a bay. Burnishers won't help a corroded normal connection. Use a non-residue contact cleaner, Caig will leave behind a residue that will pick up more dirt. If you use De-oxit, wash it all out afterwards.
Im sorry i actually meant Vertigo TRS Injector, i was cleaning a TT patchbay yesterday so i guess i got carried away with the idea, and yeah do not get the burnisher (which i do use on extreme cases), and yeah Caig does leave a residue but it has saved my ass countless times, i use it as a last resort when a non-residue cleaner is not enough.

The CRC QD Contact cleaner is what i use most of the time, and it works on everything (except when theres more oxidation), it leaves no residue at all. Since the console is only 1 year old, the CRC will be more than enough, i use the Deoxit on rather old equipment.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

I have a pilot run console here still in use every day. Had a channel (maybe two) go bad years ago and maybe a fader or two. Relatively simple fixes. My experience is that PMI will take good care of you if you let them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search