The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Mic to my voice? Advice needed Condenser Microphones
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

What Mic to my voice? Advice needed

Hi. A friend suggested this forum when I asked for some advice on what mic to get for my simple home studio.

I've recorded some songs using my iPhone and you can hear me singing here
resoir's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'd love to hear your suggestions since I have no idea what to look for. I know I want to be able to sound clear when I use my "whispery voice". If that makes sense? Pardon my english I'm from Sweden.
I was thinking about spending about 450 USD.

Thank you!
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Nut

Hi Resoir,
I listened to your soundcloud, and liked what you are doing.

I'd suggest an Audio Technica AT2035. Best value for the money.
It'll give your voice the airy quality you're looking for.

Also, you may benefit greatly from using a great interface with your computer.
I'm not sure if you have that covered yet, but I'd recommend an Apogee Duet to start off with.

Cheers
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you Baraka. I have Logic Pro and garageband. Haven't used it much yet. Are you familiar with the RODE-michrophones? I found one but I don't know if it would suit my voice.
R
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

RODE makes good mics but idk which one you have in mind. You have a good tone to your voice I would definitely look at a large diaphragm condenser (that will sound clear with your voice whispery or otherwise). Also, learn how to use the plug-ins that come with Logic if you haven't already. That will be a huge help to the sound of your recording. I second the AT2035 though.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear
There are numerous affordable mics that will get the job done. Use the search engine and you'll find way too many suggestions. But don't ignore the simple things you can do to improve the sonics of the space you record in. There is a whole section here on GearSlutz devoted to acoustics and time spent there will help you improve the quality of your vocal recordings. Even hanging a couple of comforters on the wall behind the singer is beneficial.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Although this would be called a breathy style it's important to remember that, acoustically speaking, there's a lot more to it than that. When you lean on a note and sing out, there's a lot of body and warmth to capture.

So I think you need something which is good at capturing high end detail but also has a nice, natural balance across a wide frequency spectrum. A lot of people are going to suggest bright mics but I don't think you need one. If you think of a photograph with a blue colour cast, it doesn't really affect the blue colours in the photo in a very noticeable way, but it does suck some of the life out of the other, warm colours in the picture.

I'd recommend something from ADK. In your price range there is the A6, S7, Odin and (almost) the Thor. If Golden Age Music
are in your area maybe you can try some mics out first to see which one you like best.

The A6 is the one I'd try first. If you're chasing an intimate, airy sound this mic has a nice proximity effect which will let you get in close without biting back. It's good at capturing high-end detail - such as breathy sounds - but it doesn't hype anything. It'll deliver a nice, balanced sound.

The S7 comes in different flavours, bright neutral and dark, and the Thor/Odin mics have some built-in circuitry to alter their response, which is interesting. I haven't heard one yet though.

The Vienna might just about squeeze into your price range but this is designed to be a bright mic. It might be worth listening to but be careful not to press too hard on the treble pedal.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Nut

The adk a6 is a great mic!

With Rode mics, I know People who upgrade to better ones in the future and get rid of the Rode, but with the at2035, people hold on to those, even when buying more expensive mics later.

I still strongly suggest a quality interface if you haven't looked into that aspect.
Apogee Duets work easily with Logic, and will be the best compliment to your first quality mic.
I recorded a lot of good stuff wasted into focusrite and motu interfaces when I first started recording, it would have been much better if I had known which interface to use.

I still think the at2035 is a great price, leaving you with leftover cash for a quality interface

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search