The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT Mix Plus on a PC?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

PT Mix Plus on a PC?

I know PT is Mac, Nuendo is PC. I mean I realize they work on either platform but basically as a generalization that's mainly the way the numbers fall...right?
Okay I had 001 and it worked great on a PC & have Nuendo and it works real well also on PC...for native that is. Times up I want out of native.

So I have a line on a really good deal for a couple of 888/24s and a PT Mix Rig sans computer. I'd be going with a PC since that's what I have. PT Mix Plus friendly on PCs? I could probably pick up a used Mac & make it work.

Point is I really don't want to be Native anymore if I can justify it...I've read as many posts here as I can find on 002 vs PT Mix but I just can't freaking decide!!!! Somebody make up the mind for me please. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

A few years back I mixed a record out of a PC based Mix Plus rig that was owned by the bass player in the band.

They tracked it themselves & had done some mixes in PT, entirely ITB and when he brought the rig into my shop we connected the outputs of the DA's to my desk and I basically used PT as a giant tape machine & submixer since we had a total of 16 DA's and an average of 40 whatever tracks.

Other then a REALLY essential Boob Factory plug-in expiring mid-mix I didn't encounter any problems, nor did he report any wonkiness during the tracking of the record outside of the 'usual' PT or other DAW stuff.

It's also worth noting that this was a dedicated DAW that reportedly NEVER saw the interknot, email or anything of that sort.

Good luck!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
A few years back I mixed a record out of a PC based Mix Plus rig that was owned by the bass player in the band.

They tracked it themselves & had done some mixes in PT, entirely ITB and when he brought the rig into my shop we connected the outputs of the DA's to my desk and I basically used PT as a giant tape machine & submixer since we had a total of 16 DA's and an average of 40 whatever tracks.

Other then a REALLY essential Boob Factory plug-in expiring mid-mix I didn't encounter any problems, nor did he report any wonkiness during the tracking of the record outside of the 'usual' PT or other DAW stuff.

It's also worth noting that this was a dedicated DAW that reportedly NEVER saw the interknot, email or anything of that sort.

Good luck!
Your mp3's on your site sound groovey!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info. The 002 vs. Mix thing wears me out. Just pick one & be done I suppose...for now.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amost
Thanks for the info. The 002 vs. Mix thing wears me out. Just pick one & be done I suppose...for now.
amost , if you record bands and record more than 2 tracks at a time , are not to fussed with midi,softsynths as your prime weapon , P.Tools is still the way to go , you can monitor directly through your software , add plug-ins at will while dong all this .

I am in the exact opposite of this and record no more than 2 tracks in my studio but use other studios when i track live drums/inst .

So i will be selling my Mix Plus , if you decide to go with a mix system (See the digi site for PC compatability)i do not think you should have many problems for PC , it's cross-platform .
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Rezz, Actually I'm like you in that I record drums and the rest in a bigger studio and just overdub a couple of tracks at a time at my house. I like the PT edit window though for recording. I just am more efficient recording with it than with Nuendo but I still like Nuendo. Kind of rethinking the whole deal, I think I just need a bigger badder audio optimized PC that won't bog down when I have alot of tracks up trying to mix. Perhaps 002 with better conversion would get me by for recording and still mix in Nuendo with a slicker PC..I dunno. Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

mix system support has been discontinued as of version 6.4 so youre essentially only benefit is the mix engine side of things...

if that isnt an issue, check out the compatability pages on the digi site, theres chipsets and all sorts of factors involved.

you might also like to check out the new "quad" chip thread in the 002 forum, theres some mighty systems being built which exceed even newer HD systems with processor grunt...

take care.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Rezz, Actually I'm like you in that I record drums and the rest in a bigger studio and just overdub a couple of tracks at a time at my house. I like the PT edit window though for recording. I just am more efficient recording with it than with Nuendo but I still like Nuendo. Kind of rethinking the whole deal, I think I just need a bigger badder audio optimized PC that won't bog down when I have alot of tracks up trying to mix. Perhaps 002 with better conversion would get me by for recording and still mix in Nuendo with a slicker PC..I dunno. Thanks.
I think you have given yourself the answer , if it's a question of a few overdubs , you will not be utilizing what P.Tools plus Digi hardware is good for , in this case a computer with more grunt and a high perfermance 2 ch convertor are your better options IMO , couple that with high perfermance plugs from URS and PSP(if you haven't got them) with great sound and instance counts and you have a killer rig ....

Do not think to much about it, you could drive yourself batty over gear options
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O
mix system support has been discontinued as of version 6.4 so youre essentially only benefit is the mix engine side of things...

if that isnt an issue, check out the compatability pages on the digi site, theres chipsets and all sorts of factors involved.

you might also like to check out the new "quad" chip thread in the 002 forum, theres some mighty systems being built which exceed even newer HD systems with processor grunt...

take care.
Thanks I checked out some of the quad threads. Some pretty hellacious plugin counts they're getting!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
I know PT is Mac, Nuendo is PC. I mean I realize they work on either platform but basically as a generalization that's mainly the way the numbers fall...right?
Okay I had 001 and it worked great on a PC & have Nuendo and it works real well also on PC...for native that is. Times up I want out of native.

So I have a line on a really good deal for a couple of 888/24s and a PT Mix Rig sans computer. I'd be going with a PC since that's what I have. PT Mix Plus friendly on PCs? I could probably pick up a used Mac & make it work.

Point is I really don't want to be Native anymore if I can justify it...I've read as many posts here as I can find on 002 vs PT Mix but I just can't freaking decide!!!! Somebody make up the mind for me please. Thanks.
I use to run mine on a PC, and it just didnt run well, midi wouldnt work at all from what i remember, and thats why i bought my G4, had no problems at all...and this was after at least a month working on trying to get it to work on a pc...its a pain in the butt.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

another quick note, be sure to read how much power the pci slots need to be putting out on the motherboard for it to work on the pc, that was my big problem, cause if they are putting out enough power, it doesnt work right...at the time of my big adventure, I only could find 2 different ones that put out enough power then had to order the motherboard...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would try getting a faster PC first.
Then buy some UAD-1 cards.
The buy some MCDSP plug-ins.
A Duende maybe.
Then see how you feel.

I think buying outdated, unsupported, computer hardware a bad idea in general.
Especially since what you are buying isn't goign to make your final product any better.

Oh, and get a better I/O box for Nuendo, and you'll have lower latency.
I use a Presonus Firebox. It's not very expensive, and you can get the latency really low.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
I would try getting a faster PC first.
Then buy some UAD-1 cards.
The buy some MCDSP plug-ins.
A Duende maybe.
Then see how you feel.

I think buying outdated, unsupported, computer hardware a bad idea in general.
Especially since what you are buying isn't goign to make your final product any better.

Oh, and get a better I/O box for Nuendo, and you'll have lower latency.
I use a Presonus Firebox. It's not very expensive, and you can get the latency really low.
Hi, thanks for the replys. Yeah faster PC coming up & probably grabbing an 002 today. I have a Lynx Two A for Nuendo and I like that pretty well. It sounds decent & with the direct monitoring option latency is pretty much a non factor but despite that I split off the pre and return to a cheezy analog mixer along with a 2 mix from the Lynx just because I like to know everything's arriving at the same time outside the box while overdubbing...just funny that way.

002 is just 'cause I like recording and some editing in PT and the session to session compatibility thing if I choose. Options are good. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search