The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions on best audio book for teaching
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Opinions on best audio book for teaching

As some of you may know I teach recording technology at a high school magnet school. I am getting ready to purchase text books for next year and I would like to know you guys thoughts on a good nuts and bolts book that covers the basics of as much as possible (tracking, plugins, computers, fx, etc.). In other words, a book that doesn't just focus on say computer recording. I am going to use Bob Katz's book for my advanced class which will keep them on their toes (and moreheh ) but I still need some opinions on this first book. There are just so many to choose from.

Thanks!!!
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

I teach some classes at a commuinity college and occasionally at the graduate level as well.

Audio In Media by Stanley R Alten is a great textbook for a level one audio course. It covers the basics well. It starts off with talking about air molecules and soundwaves, and builds from there. Computers don't even figure in until the middle of the book.

I recently switched to Modern Recording Techniques by Runstein and Huber only because it is available in paperback and is a bit cheaoer for the students to buy. I print up a lot of handouts and don't rely as much on the book these days anyway.

If you are in a school where the school purchases the books and lends them to the students, get Audio In Media in hardback.

You might want a second book that focuses on the specific software you have in your studio, assuming you are computer based. For Pro Tools, I really like the Visual QuickStart series by Peachpit Press. They also have books on Cubase, Reason and other programs.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
I recently switched to Modern Recording Techniques by Runstein and Huber.
This is one of the textbooks that I used in recording school (Colorado Institute of Art) to learn recording. It is a very good book. The Musician's Guide to Home Recording: How to Make Great Recordings at Home is a nuts and bolts book also. It does not dwell on a lot of theory of sound, logarithms etc... it's a practical approach.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook
Modern Recording Techniques
Audio Dictionary
Mixing Engineers Handbook
Mastering Engineers Handbook
Recording Engineers Handbook
Make Money with Your Studio - Tom Volinchak
Dan Lavry's White Papers (a few) (http://www.lavryengineering.com/supportpage.html)
=======================================================
Trillium Lane White Paper on Digital Distortion & Intersample Peaks
(Been Searching for 45 mins and can't find a working link to it .... Maybe one of u could post it)

=======================================================
~Scott
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Ethan, I think I asked before, but where are you located? I heard of a high school around here that has a "recording" magnet of some sort...

And sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestionbs
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
Ethan, I think I asked before, but where are you located? I heard of a high school around here that has a "recording" magnet of some sort...

And sorry, I don't have any constructive suggestionbs

I am in Memphis, TN ... you live around here?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Nope, Orlando. But I heard the one around here isn't much anyway... and yours sounds like a high-school I'd kill to have gone to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search