The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toft Console Pics...where are they dudes?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Toft Console Pics...where are they dudes?

Love to see what this thing is appearing like these days.
Old 24th May 2006
Here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails
Toft Console Pics...where are they dudes?-tofty.jpg  
Old 24th May 2006
And more
Attached Thumbnails
Toft Console Pics...where are they dudes?-ttttt2.jpg  
Old 24th May 2006

mmmm, looks pretty damn fine to me. Like the coloured knobs. Anybody have the chance to fiddle with it?

Tim
Old 24th May 2006
Yes, I did. There was audio running through the desk. So I had a twist around on the EQ. Very nice..! Very 'useable' indeed.

I said it before in another thread but I was informed that the colors of the knobs have one more revision to go before the final version.. .. what is pink should end up red..
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac
I found the faders and knobs to having a "cheap feeling".

But the worse "feeling" was on the Oram "Dream" console: some knobs were like blocked (! very hard to move), overall feels cheap/chinese and unreliable. Plus it is bad looking, as is the Toft maybe a bit less, though it is a matter of taste.

Sorry for that negative comment. For the price range of the Toft it is ok. For the one of the Oram it is not. Other comments?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Any american distributors for the Toft consoles?
Old 24th May 2006

PMI AUDIO imports Toft's stuff.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Man that thing is sweet looking.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

to me it looks cluttered. im also skeptical that they can cram so much into this package and not compromise the design. It seems that if its still coming in at the price that was mentioned some time ago the quality cant be that great. Its only marginally more expensive than a single channel strip so what gives?????

it certainly wont be making me sell my bc3. that thing is up there, REALLY

i reckon the toft is a little step up from mackie but not much more.

just some thoughts!
Old 25th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
to me it looks cluttered. im also skeptical that they can cram so much into this package and not compromise the design. It seems that if its still coming in at the price that was mentioned some time ago the quality cant be that great. Its only marginally more expensive than a single channel strip so what gives?????

it certainly wont be making me sell my bc3. that thing is up there, REALLY
Well it's not an SSL - that's obvious, and sure, the knobs are quite close together, but still usable. From what I understand, each channel has a vertical circuit board (as opposed to the Mackies which have one large horizontal circuit board) so that means there is plently of room for the electronics below the controls. It's not surface mount (unlike the Mackie) which IMO means it will sound better (not to mention MUCH easier to service!).

Quote:
i reckon the toft is a little step up from mackie but not much more.

just some thoughts!
Well you gotta try it before you can make that assumption, really.

Tim.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAnna Manley
PMI AUDIO imports Toft's stuff.
Thanks EveAnna! heh
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tried the console, thought that it is better built than Oram. But Can't really judge the sound quality since I'm not familiar with the music being played in both oram and toft. The eq is really responsive, and I don't mind mixing my records in that console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
Well it's not an SSL - that's obvious, and sure, the knobs are quite close together, but still usable. From what I understand, each channel has a vertical circuit board (as opposed to the Mackies which have one large horizontal circuit board) so that means there is plently of room for the electronics below the controls. It's not surface mount (unlike the Mackie) which IMO means it will sound better (not to mention MUCH easier to service!).

Well you gotta try it before you can make that assumption, really.

Tim.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

I really don't think that you can even compare this console to a Mackie. For starters, it's not a live board. Secondly, the EQ on the Toft ATC-2 which is the same EQ that is in this board sounds closer to a Neve 31102 or API 550b EQ than any Mackie EQ including the ONYX. I've tried the ATC-2 and it is not only useable, it has a great smooth tone that is very nice and adds something really good to tracks instead of sucking tone. Thidly, if you are going to compare this comsole to a live mixing board, I think it is more likely to compare favorably to a Midas Venice or Soundcraft Ghost than a Mackie. It would be a big step up from a Mackie. Ask Malcolm Burn, he has mixed albums on Mackies and Midas consoles. I bet Malcolm would love the Toft. I am sure it is going to give some nice British character to people's drab ProTools files.

Thanks for the Pictures Jules!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm sorry guys, but I'm sittin here and thinking to myself, how could someone claim to have "tested" the Toft or Oram consoles with only two channels of audio, while listening through a pair of crappy headphones on the noisy show floor is beyond me. A console is a system, not just EQ, were you able to test the routing, pass 24 channels of audio through the stereo buss, or really ring out the master section? How do you know that this thing won't be noisy as hell when it's installed and everything connected?

How in the world someone could even be making such detailed comparisons with other EQs under these conditions, is, well..................

I too turned some EQ knobs and pressed some buttons on both consoles, but this does not qualify me to make an educated statement about either consoles' performance.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Why do I get the feeling there's like 12 people posting under multiple usernames about this product while the rest of us wait until this hits market and can get some real first hand advice?

I seriously think that this console may be responsible for the next great world war or something.

And, for what its worth I've read enough of Jules' posts over the years to respect that he is able to know what he's hearing while taking into account his surroundings.

Its honestly the first "hands on" post about this product that I feel like I can take to heart to a much further extent than the conjecture and outright slander thats been spewed forth about this thing.

Not that I'm helping the S/N ratio or anything.
Old 26th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc
I too turned some EQ knobs and pressed some buttons on both consoles, but this does not qualify me to make an educated statement about either consoles' performance.
Well in my book that qualifys you to comment on your EQ test and on how the buttons performed.

As for what 'educated' is - that is open for endless debate.

I may have worked in over 100 studios during the last 24 years, but I know people that I would descibe as far more 'golden eared' than myself who have experience of far less studios and whos own gears monitary value is a tiny fraction of the stuff I have.

My verdict from the show

Mic pre - no idea
Mix buss - no idea
Crosstalk & noise floor - no idea
Egonmics & feel - seemed good
EQ - "Very nice..! Very 'useable' indeed"
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

seems like a darn dood deal! This is on my short list of things to try!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Well in my book that qualifys you to comment on your EQ test and on how the buttons performed.

As for what 'educated' is - that is open for endless debate.

I may have worked in over 100 studios during the last 24 years, but I know people that I would descibe as far more 'golden eared' than myself who have experience of far less studios and whos own gears monitary value is a tiny fraction of the stuff I have.

My verdict from the show

Mic pre - no idea
Mix buss - no idea
Crosstalk & noise floor - no idea
Egonmics & feel - seemed good
EQ - "Very nice..! Very 'useable' indeed"
Jules,

The intent of my post was not a jab at you or anyone else in the thread, and I don't understand why your name was pulled out of the hat by the previous poster.

My observation was just that if we're tralking about a console, then there may be more to look at than just the EQ, since a console's general performance is a sum of all the things you listed above. I personally have no interest in either console, but in this era of buying audio equipment based on mp3 samples on the net I thought it would be important to make the point. I think that it's really important that some of the less experienced people who seek answers, understand the importance of getting this information for themselves through testing or other forms of research.
Old 26th May 2006
OK fair enough but I think you are missing one large 'unsaid' point to all this.. The arrival on the scene of an alternate brand, low priced, 16ch or 24ch or 32ch console with a DECENT eq.. Is headline news... for SOME people.... Obviously as you state there is more to a console, but there seems to be a big gap in the market.. hence all the interest. IMHO
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear
whatever... although I am intersted in the console the eq looks boring...can it really give you all that much control with no adjustability in the high and low sections?? and if they make the pink knobs red then it will look like christmas and I am going to have to pass on that. lol.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar
whatever... although I am intersted in the console the eq looks boring...can it really give you all that much control with no adjustability in the high and low sections?? and if they make the pink knobs red then it will look like christmas and I am going to have to pass on that. lol.

EQ looks boring? From what Jules said, the EQ "sounds" interesting.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

First let me say that after looking at my original post again I realize that the wording should have been different, at least we wouldn't have any misunderstandings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
OK fair enough but I think you are missing one large 'unsaid' point to all this.. The arrival on the scene of an alternate brand, low priced, 16ch or 24ch or 32ch console with a DECENT eq.. Is headline news... for SOME people.... Obviously as you state there is more to a console, but there seems to be a big gap in the market.. hence all the interest. IMHO
This is very true indeed, and I do understand why these consoles would generate serious interest. All I'm saying is that the interested parties need to do some serious homework, The great EQ will be of little use if the stereo buss is ****e.

Anyway no probs Jules.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc
First let me say that after looking at my original post again I realize that the wording should have been different, at least we wouldn't have any misunderstandings.
This is very true indeed, and I do understand why these consoles would generate serious interest. All I'm saying is that the interested parties need to do some serious homework, The great EQ will be of little use if the stereo buss is ****e.

Anyway no probs Jules.
Unless people just run through the board and use the direct outs into another summing solution. If the EQ's are cool then you're goldylocks with 16 channels at a really reasonable price.

I totally concur about the homework part.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

If the summing on this Toft console is not the bee's knees then all you do is spend a measley extra $800 on a Folcrum summing mixer and take all 16 direct outs from the console into the Folcrum for summing. For example:

D/A convertors > line inputs > Toft EQ, Aux Sends/returns, fader level line out > Folcrum > Portico

Even if we had to do this to achive high sonics we would still be getting the use of 16 really sweet EQ's and lots of effects sends/returns for $3000. That is remarkable still.

If the Toft's summing bus is as good as a Folcrum then this thing is really going to be revolutionary and blow people away. It all comes down to the components used int he Toft mixer's summing amplifiers. If they chinsed out and went for low quality opamps we may end up looking elsewhere for summing.

Alan, the board looks good but I think the red faders should be Green and the pink knobs should be hot pink. It's kind of growing on me. It looks like candy. I think the knobs should be knurled on the sides for better grip and that the edges of the knobs should have a softer rounded contour. The original Trident A range knobs would be ideal. Can the knobs be changed by users if we so wish to do this? Do they screw off?
Old 27th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit

Even if we had to do this to achive high sonics we would still be getting the use of 16 really sweet EQ's and lots of effects sends/returns for $3000. That is remarkable still.

If the Toft's summing bus is as good as a Folcrum then this thing is really going to be revolutionary and blow people away. It all comes down to the components used int he Toft mixer's summing amplifiers. If they chinsed out and went for low quality opamps we may end up looking elsewhere for summing.

Or you could swap out the chips with something to your liking, assuming it makes a better sound and the PSU can do it.
Old 27th May 2006
stop talking bs about something you never tested..

it might be high priced lowbudget equipment or good quality stuff with an superb price/value ratio.

so can we rely on the facts now and stop talking bs about stuff we dont know by heart.

cheers George
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola
stop talking bs about something you never tested..

it might be high priced lowbudget equipment or good quality stuff with an superb price/value ratio.

so can we rely on the facts now and stop talking bs about stuff we dont know by heart.

cheers George

Thanks for the Photo Jules

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search