The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for extreme in-your-face vocals
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
Solution A: put the mic diaphram just above the bridge of her nose. The air will pass beneath the mic and you can get her in closer.

Solution B: Make a copy of the vocal track cut everything below 1000Hz and slam it with an LA2A plugin followed by an 1176 plugin. Mix this track in behind the original track.
Nice tips thanks. I never placed the mic that High (above nose). I though i would loose to much of the vocals body. Must try it then. Solution B is pretty much what I do. I don´t use the 2nd plugin though, just the LA2a really thight. Sometimes it gets a bit harsh and the breathing can be heard a bit too much.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide
Has anyone got any first hand experiencce with the Reflexion screen from sE?

Does it work?

This seams very interesting indeed. Anybody try it already? Does this really work?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree montgomery
try turning your head quickly to the right or left on plosive syllables, this has worked well for me, also their is a method of passing your hand in front of your mouth on the plosive syllables, supposedly john lennon was a master at this.
multi tasking.

tree
Funny, this was exacly the idea I had ( to turn head quicky). I will have another studio session today. I will ask her ( the singer, very cute by the way!) to try it out. I´m not sure if it will distract her from the singing...will see.
Thanks, really great tips so far.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao
This seams very interesting indeed. Anybody try it already? Does this really work?
yup, had one for a few weeks now, it really does work - I bought it against my better judgement too

You can't push the mic in too far as it starts to colour too much, but for control room/project studio/bedroom recording it's got 'essential purchase' written all over it IMHO.

Good bit of hardware too, maybe a tad heavy, but not a problem.

Give it a try...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice tips thanks. I never placed the mic that High (above nose). I though i would loose to much of the vocals body. Must try it then. Solution B is pretty much what I do. I don´t use the 2nd plugin though, just the LA2a really thight. Sometimes it gets a bit harsh and the breathing can be heard a bit too much.
You can automate those breaths out on the compressed track and it ends up in a place you may enjoy.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can automate those breaths out on the compressed track and it ends up in a place you may enjoy.
true, but a good vocal technique can sort that out.

I always find a good headphone mix, as close to the final effect as possible, helps when trying to achieve this effect.

As much as the obvious things like a dead environment and mic/compression choices are important, I find it's the vocalists skill in getting as close and as good a sound as possible that's the crucial factor.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a bad ideia but maybe a bit too time consuming..no? Also, doesn´t it sound strange or not natural? I like to record 3, 4, 5 tracks per song. Imagine that 10 times ( 10 songs). It would give me 40 / 50 tracks of auto...
I get paranoid whenever I use auto or volume lines. I´m always hearing things getting lower and higher, even when i do it right! Paranoid.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a bad ideia but maybe a bit too time consuming..no? Also, doesn´t it sound strange or not natural? I like to record 3, 4, 5 tracks per song. Imagine that 10 times ( 10 songs). It would give me 40 / 50 tracks of auto...
I get paranoid whenever I use auto or volume lines. I´m always hearing things getting lower and higher, even when i do it right! Paranoid.
When its layered in with the original it sounds fine. I would however comp all your vocal tracks down a single stereo file before I applied any of this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search