The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got a Revox A-77 for recording live mixes OMG! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Just got a Revox A-77 for recording live mixes OMG!

Recently got a Revox A-77 MK-III.

Been recording live mixes straight off the Yamaha PM 5000, then converting with an older 2 channel mytek via SPDIF into digi 002.

This tape machine is a BEAST. It's over 30 years old, but all I did is clean the heads and it sounds incredible! Very little hiss at 15 IPS and the nicest crunchiest tape sound.

Totally blown away..
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

I should mention;

The PM 5000 is a BEAST as well. Great EQ, great preamps...
Old 2nd April 2012
Motown legend

Now wire the inputs straight to the input volume controls bypassing the mike preamps and hang onto your hat!
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Now wire the inputs straight to the input volume controls bypassing the mike preamps and hang onto your hat!
Umm ok! Explain a bit more please Bob? Is this line level in you mean??
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSound View Post
Umm ok! Explain a bit more please Bob? Is this line level in you mean??
Do you mean NOT using the RCA line level inputs in the back of the machine and wiring directly into somewhere else?
Old 2nd April 2012
Motown legend

You just unsolder the wires from the RCA inputs from the PC board and solder them to the input pots.
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

revox and studer are the best tape recorders, been collecting them for some years now and you can't enough of them.
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
You just unsolder the wires from the RCA inputs from the PC board and solder them to the input pots.
Ok, I'll open it up and do this.

What exactly will this bypass?
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard you mention this before, but is it correct that it doesn't work for the B77?
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bob, would that also work on a Revox PR99 mkII? I heard these are similar design to the A-77.
Old 3rd April 2012

Quote:
Recently got a Revox A-77 MK-III.

Been recording live mixes straight off the Yamaha PM 5000, then converting with an older 2 channel mytek via SPDIF into digi 002.

This tape machine is a BEAST. It's over 30 years old, but all I did is clean the heads and it sounds incredible! Very little hiss at 15 IPS and the nicest crunchiest tape sound.

Totally blown away..
Wow- if it's that good, you should share.
Old 3rd April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hey Motown Bob! Thanks.

I soldered new connections to the line input pots and it's all good; can handle a +4 signal now no problem.
I got a bit worried when the machine wouldn't power up when it was open, then discovered the "secret circuit breaker" in the wooden housing.

Also turned the repro trims up to 100% when I was in there, now it's a little bit hot (quite a lot hot actually). Gotta go back inside and trim them to halfway.

Another new problem is the machine won't stay in play/record unless I hold the buttons down; I must have knocked one of the cards that control some logic s h i t, dunno. Will figure it out!

All the best,

Maggie.
Old 3rd April 2012
Motown legend

Quote:
Another new problem is the machine won't stay in play/record unless I hold the buttons down; I must have knocked one of the cards that control some logic s h i t, dunno. Will figure it out!
That's the remote control dummy-plug on the top that you needed to remove in order to open the case.
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's the remote control dummy-plug on the top that you needed to remove in order to open the case.

YES I shoved that in and it's happy again.

My next question (if you can be bothered) is:

I am calibrating the repro amps with the trim pots, I can 'finger these - excuse the expression - through the vent gap, but the other bias trims etc are hard to access with the old finger. Do I have to open up again for a proper line up, with a bridge over the AC safety breaker?

You're the greatest Motown BOB!
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
YES I shoved that in and it's happy again.

My next question (if you can be bothered) is:

I am calibrating the repro amps with the trim pots, I can 'finger these - excuse the expression - through the vent gap, but the other bias trims etc are hard to access with the old finger. Do I have to open up again for a proper line up, with a bridge over the AC safety breaker?

You're the greatest Motown BOB!

bumpity bump
Old 4th April 2012
Motown legend

I have no idea about later models. I had an A-77 and the folks at Abbey Road told me about doing it to their machines when I visited in 1969. The A-77 is a first generation silicon transistor machine that is very simple. Mine had its parts swapped for higher quality ones during the late '80s and at that time sounded better than a brand new ATR-100 did when I brought it in to make copies.

The head wires are very fragile and mine broke while moving it about. The record head went first so I just used it as a playback machine for a decade until one of the play channels went and I broke down and took it to the former head of US Studer service. Much to my surprise it came back with record working again and he told me it was the best measuring Revox he'd ever seen!

As for alignment, all I can suggest is getting hold of the manual, the appropriate test gear, an alignment tape and following the instructions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search