The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
32 channel adat i/o exist?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

32 channel adat i/o exist?

I need a pci or pci-e or firewire interface/card for my computer that will support 32 channels of adat. Does this exist?

I am trying to connect 24 i/o of radar adat, and 8 channel i/o of lynx aurora into my computer. I have pci, pci-e, firewire, and USB.

Is there one card that does 32 channels adat? Or am I going to have to buy 2 cards?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know if there's one card that has that many I/O.

I'd go with two RME 9652. That gives you 48 I/O on adat optical.

They are rock solid, never a hickup of any kind.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I can't believe there is no 32 channel adat card for a computer
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I guess it would be better to go with 2 of the 96/32 lites

This way only 800 bucks for 32 i/o.

How are the original hammerfalls, the digi9636? I could get 2 of those for about 500.

Any other decent options?
Old 22nd May 2006
ehm if you check you will see the 9636 is the SAME as the 9652, except for a daughtercard with BRC sync and an extra pair of ADAT.
Hammerfalls are great cards, you can use multiple instances, like Gainreduction mentioned.
So there is your answer.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Haven't searched very well imo

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=56&page=1

Don't know about quality, only that it exists.

Herwig
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

You could also get a MOTU card, and a couple of used 2408mkII boxes, if all you are looking for is lightpipe i/o.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

These guys:

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products

You can get a Dakota card (16 CH) and the Montana expander card (+16 more). I used the Dakota for several years, works great.

DP
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

FRONTIER DESIGN

You should try the Frontier design Dakota Montana set up it has 32/32 we have one in 1 of our systems

Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

In firewire land....4 of the Echo Audiofire 8'w would do it. Each has adat i/o (you'd wordclock the four together for sample sync)...and I believe Echo states they've had up to 5 or 6 of the units working together flawlessly. There's your 32 channnels of adat i/o...of course you're gonna get the analog i/o that comes with them also. Contact Echo for more details because I believe the only potential bottlenect is the firewire spec itself.

Alternatively, if you have a mobo with 4 pci slots, you can go with 4 Layla 3g.s. Same layout. I have three Laylas max in several pcs here and they all work great. I'd put more on a couple of the pc's, but the mobos are all based on only 3 pci slots ea.

There is the issue that s-o-m-e-o-n-e- will snort that Layla isn't pro stuff...but, I disagree. It's great stuff. Very mature and stable drivers and converters (irrelevant of course for your adat hookup). Very good pricing. I've had them in here for ten or so years and they never cause any trouble sonically..mechanically...or from the aspect of sync.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
In firewire land....4 of the Echo Audiofire 8'w would do it. Each has adat i/o (you'd wordclock the four together for sample sync)...and I believe Echo states they've had up to 5 or 6 of the units working together flawlessly. There's your 32 channnels of adat i/o...of course you're gonna get the analog i/o that comes with them also. Contact Echo for more details because I believe the only potential bottlenect is the firewire spec itself.

Alternatively, if you have a mobo with 4 pci slots, you can go with 4 Layla 3g.s. Same layout. I have three Laylas max in several pcs here and they all work great. I'd put more on a couple of the pc's, but the mobos are all based on only 3 pci slots ea.

There is the issue that s-o-m-e-o-n-e- will snort that Layla isn't pro stuff...but, I disagree. It's great stuff. Very mature and stable drivers and converters (irrelevant of course for your adat hookup). Very good pricing. I've had them in here for ten or so years and they never cause any trouble sonically..mechanically...or from the aspect of sync.
You wouldn't need 4 Laylas, would you...?
There are 8 analog I/O's built-in - but you also have ADAT Lightpipe-connections for an additional 8-channel converter, so with two Layla 3G and two external 8-channel A/D-D/A-converters, you've got those 32 analog I/O's.

However, I would go for two RME HDSP-cards, since you can choose any converter you wish then.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

........"You wouldn't need 4 Laylas, would you...?
There are 8 analog I/O's built-in - but you also have ADAT Lightpipe-connections for an additional 8-channel converter, so with two Layla 3G and two external 8-channel A/D-D/A-converters, you've got those 32 analog I/O's.
However, I would go for two RME HDSP-cards, since you can choose any converter you wish then....."
----------------------------------------------

Well...he's not looking for analog..he's looking for adat channels...32 of them. To get 32 adat channels (not analog), four Laylas or Audiofires would do it. As an added bonus, you'd get the analog channels because they come with the cards anyway...what you'd have would be 32 channels of adat...and....32 channels of analog
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Rme cards work perfectly, I was sceptical a while ago before I purchased one, but they are very very stable.

Heath
Old 27th June 2006
Here for the gear

Motu2408 accepts up to 3 ADAT inputs for a total of 32 ADAT tracks plus the 8 analog Motu inputs. That is 40 inputs!

abm
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbestosman1
Motu2408 accepts up to 3 ADAT inputs for a total of 32 ADAT tracks plus the 8 analog Motu inputs. That is 40 inputs!

abm
Not to be a smart ass, 3 ADAT ports actually adds up to 24 channels. Not only that, to the best of my knowledge, MOTU's PCI control panel software operates in 3 "banks" switchable from ADAT/Analog/spdif. If you choose 3 ADAT banks you cannot access the 8 analog i/o or the spdif essentially limiting the 2408 to 24 channels.
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13
With the RME cards, you could run out of PCI slots, but you will get lots of ADAT channels.

The advantage of the HDSP-series over the original Project Hammerfall is a mixer in card DSP. This may or may not matter to you. I would try to get 2 cards of the same series, if planning to have them in the same computer operating together (to avoid possible driver mixups).

AFAIK, RME drivers support 96KHz dual-channel ADAT (a 9632 would have 8 i/o of 96KHz 24 bit using both ADAT channels).

9652 (3 ADAT i/o) uses one PCI connector, but may interfere with fitting a neighboring PCI card if the daughtercard is fitted. 9632 (2 ADAT i/o) may be stacked in PCI slots like cordwood. If you take off the daughterboard from a 9652, it becomes identical to a 9632.

For your specific question about getting 32 channels of i/o via ADAT, 2 PCI cards of HDSP 9632 would do the trick. RME drivers are tip-top, with regular updates simultaineous with MS/Apple OS changes.

The RME website requires some digging to find the info needed, but it is there.

Karl
I am running three RME HDSP interfaces in my DAW (2 x HDSP 9652's and an HDSP Multiface). The problem you can get into with this is PCI bus overload if you start adding additional DSP cards like the UAD-1. Right now I've got the 3 x RME cards in one 13 slot Magma chassis so I can get them all on a single IRQ (unshared with any other device) and I've got 4 x UAD-1's in another 13 slot Magma and they are all also on a single (unshared by any other devide) IRQ. Using two Magmas in one DAW may sound a bit extreme, but with this much traffic on the PCI bus, it's a very fine line to walk before you start getting pops and crackles at high track counts with lots of stress on the dedicated DSP cards. Careful allocation of available resources is absolutely imperative. If only 32 I/O are needed and no higher sample rate than 48kHz, the Dakota/Montana option *might* be the more optimal setup if additional DSP cards are interfaced with the DAW. I used the Dakota/Montana combo for a couple of years with absolutely no problems.
Old 28th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
Not to be a smart ass, 3 ADAT ports actually adds up to 24 channels. Not only that, to the best of my knowledge, MOTU's PCI control panel software operates in 3 "banks" switchable from ADAT/Analog/spdif. If you choose 3 ADAT banks you cannot access the 8 analog i/o or the spdif essentially limiting the 2408 to 24 channels.
You are absolutely right! I stand corrected.

abm
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

The main advantage to going with the MOTU system is that even with two 2408 interfaces (which you'd need for 32 simultaneous channels of ADAT I/O) you're only using up one PCI or PCIe slot.

-Duardo
Old 29th September 2006
Here for the gear

What about this ?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...idge-main.html

Since you have good conversion, you just need a digital interface. I don't think it is available yet, but certainly looks interesting/promising.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokn4jc View Post
What about this ?

Since you have good conversion, you just need a digital interface. I don't think it is available yet, but certainly looks interesting/promising.
Ding, Ding, Ding! Looks like we have a winner. That M-Audio piece seems to fit the OP's bill perfectly.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think it's actually out yet. But I'll be getting one of these too as soon as they are available.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokn4jc View Post
What about this ?

Wow! I was going to say...I can't believe no one mentioned this already...I guess you guys don't have Harmony Central as your home page...To find out about new gear...
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

This unit will defineately make a number of people happy, me included, now I wonder if they will be as stable as RME interfaces. Anyway they are cheap enough to have both.
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Two Digi ADAT bridges?
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow! I was going to say...I can't believe no one mentioned this already...I guess you guys don't have Harmony Central as your home page...To find out about new gear...
No, it's not that...if you look at the posts you'll see that this is actually a fairly old thread that predated the announcement of this box until someone dug it up yesterday. That piece has been discussed at length here (more in the "New Product Alert" section than anywhere)...

-Duardo
Old 30th September 2006
Gear Addict

I'm also waiting for the M-Audio Profire to come out. Finally, I'll be able to get 16+ channels of great converters out of my Protools (LE M-Powered of course) for OTB summing .
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear
I am selling my RME 96/52 (pm if interested). great, great card. i may regret selling it, but as they say, you only live once. (so much gear, so little time, and all that!)

vic
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear Maniac

I still regret selling mine.. And I might get one again.
Old 27th October 2006
Lives for gear

So is anyone using the lightbridge yet? I'm interested to find out how stable the drivers are and if it's worth replacing my RME hdsp96/52 with the Lightbridge.

Thanks
Heath
Old 27th October 2006
Gear Head

I have the lightbridge. Easy to use. Min requirement=7200rpm HD. I have it on my Macbook pro on a 5400rpm HD, It really sucked the power installing the driver. Plays nice with Cubase SE. So far I've got eight channels going, need to configure the clocking to make it all work correctly, that's a cabling issue. When can I find the time? maybe this weekend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search