The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gnarls barkley / danger mouse; genius?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

gnarls barkley / danger mouse; genius?

starting to sound that way to me...

the grey album...

the gorillaz...

now "crazy" showing up everywhere.....???

definitely a hot producer...

opinions?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Gnarls Barkley --- definitely "out there". I think its both guys that make it special. Its quirky, funny, tuneful and has retro soundscapes.

Having said that, I didn't "get" the entire album, or the latest Gorillaz stuff, but YMMV

"Who cares" --- brilliant track!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I love that guy's voice....VERY cool stuff.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
I love that guy's voice....VERY cool stuff.
Same here. Ooooooozes soul.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

The album gets a bit irritating after a while ... its a very 4ward looking record, which is good tho ...

... they like dressing up, which is also good ... I do a mean "Uncle Fester" (with light bulb in mouth ... mamooshka !!!!!) ..
Old 22nd May 2006
I like it. I can hum it right now, without having heard it for some days.
a real memory

that said there is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much (deep)house that is under the same roof when looking at the style and also is brilliant. There is so much unknown classics out there, that it's scary. The thing that got this one under the attention is purely positive, not trying to do it less justice than it deserves...

Old 22nd May 2006
A 4:4 beat with swing looped; an 8-bar tune made up of 4 basic chords that progress 2 bars at a time and repeats for the entire duration of the song; only 4 notes to the bassline. I'm not saying simplicity can't be respected, but 'genius'? Not a chance; certainly not on that track alone. As for Gorillaz - its good pop IMO; no more, no less.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS
A 4:4 beat with swing looped; an 8-bar tune made up of 4 basic chords that progress 2 bars at a time and repeats for the entire duration of the song; only 4 notes to the bassline. I'm not saying simplicity can't be respected, but 'genius'? Not a chance; certainly not on that track alone. As for Gorillaz - its good pop IMO; no more, no less.
Genius is the art of making something simple. Some of the biggest hits are exactly as you describe in the above. ie. U2's With or Without You, New England by Billy Bragg (NO bass!), The Forest by The Cure (I could go on and on).
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
I'm not saying simplicity can't be respected
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Genius is the art of making something simple.
Leonardo Da Vinci's art was fairly complex. Was he not the very definition of genius?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Leonardo Da Vinci's art was fairly complex. Was he not the very definition of genius?
Da Vinci's art works on a level that even the average schmoe can appreciate it. Simplicity does not mean "easy". In fact, simplicity is very difficult to achieve.

Look at Mac OS X. Simple and intuitively easy to use. VERY difficult to create. If it was easy, Microsoft would have just thrown a ton of money into Vista and it would be out long ago and completely defeated Mac OS X.

Or an LA2A. Dead simple piece of gear to use, but it sounds better than many more "complex" pieces of gear.

So don't confuse "simplicity" with "ease". Watching Wayne Gretzky play hockey, he made it look easy to score goals. But anyon who's ever played hockey can truly appreciate how difficult it is. Masters make things look easy.
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
Da Vinci's art works on a level that even the average schmoe can appreciate it.
I don't think so. In fact it wasn't until about 3 centuries later that ANYONE understood and recognised what he had actually invented and acheived in his lifetime.

Personally, I don't care if art is simple or complex; I like all the music mentioned in this thread. But to define something as genius implies innovation beyond the realms of normal human capabilities. I don't think this definition is applicable to the Gnarls Barkley tune in question.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I am not familiar with Ganrls Barkley, too much, other than hearing "Crazy" a little bit.
But, I thought DangerDoom was great, and the Gorillaz album.

Definately dig DangerMouse
Old 22nd May 2006

Quote:
Genius is the art of making something simple. Some of the biggest hits are exactly as you describe in the above. ie. U2's With or Without You, New England by Billy Bragg (NO bass!), The Forest by The Cure (I could go on and on).
"cripes cheif!" (said in penfolds voice)

with or with out you is right, except the break down I suppose..

New England has more than one chord pattern(LOVE billy bragg)

Forest has more than one chord pattern (again and again and again and again etc..), but the main riff is fantastically simple

nice taste in music btw..

maybe you should've mentioned "blue monday" it was the biggest selling single ever at one stage I think.. same simple chord pattern throughout
narco
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

listened to the Gnarles Barkley record on a road trip over the last couple of weeks. I think it's a good solid half-album iwth a couple of brilliant flourishes. Half of it feels very fresh and groovy - the other half feels like filler to justify selling the good half. That said - the good half is worth the price of admission.

cheers,
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

That album is genius, no doubt. but it is all opinion, so take my interpretation or temas's the same. "personally" Ill take simplicity over any over theorized music anyday. unless your making smooth jazz or numetal or trying to do that joe satriani lick keep it "hard helmut and lunch box"
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
A 4:4 beat with swing looped; an 8-bar tune made up of 4 basic chords that progress 2 bars at a time and repeats for the entire duration of the song; only 4 notes to the bassline. I'm not saying simplicity can't be respected, but 'genius'?
true, but u forgot one ingredient... the key one....

the ability to create enough vibe to make millions of people click for their rewind button as soon as the track is finished....

the first parts you mentioned u can master by your sophomore year in music school...

the last bit they never get around to teaching.... i guess cuz it can't be taught...

but dangermouse is doing it on the regular

ha ha ha bless your soul

like the song says... "i'm out of touch... but not because i don't know enough... i know too much... does that make me crazy?"
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity"
- Charlie Mingus
Old 23rd May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft
"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity"
- Charlie Mingus
I'm with charles on that one

naco
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

Genius..? No, but I like it. It's the kind of funky soul that I believe people like Sly Stone or Al Green would be putting out these days. In fact, Cee-Lo is a crooner that reminds me a lot of Al Green and Otis Redding... not the best voice, but damn if they can't pelt it out with style and feeling. It's refreshing to hear someone who can actually sing, unlike most of the pop acts these days.

And I agree, DangerDoom and Gorillaz were nice. DM is on a roll.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

i think dangermouse is starting to step up. grey album was cool but i though the whole deal around it was a little overhyped. he has the spotlight now and i continue to enjoy the work he is laying down. hes taking risks. i like how his albums have a "theme" and the songs go together nicely as a single body of work. (eg dangerdoom). kanye does this well also imo. its cool when hiphop albums are produced by a variety of talented producers but its also nice when the album flows together from the vision of one person guiding it. if done well it gives the album more of a classic feel that i think helps it stand the test of time.

i havent heard the c lo/dm album straight through yet. but as i think someone mentioned before it sounds very forward looking after first listening to it.

electric
Old 23rd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
but u forgot one ingredient... the key one....
I would have thought the key ingredient was marketing.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The Gnarls record is a cool album ,with some great touches and fantastic melodic and harmonic elements.

I really don,t rate the mixes on a lot of the songs though,very unsatisfying sonics wise,not enough light and shade and suffering from "nose against the glass"syndrome.

If the same organic approach that was used songwriting/sound design wise was applied to the sonics/engineering i would be a bigger fan.

"crazy" is a great song though.It was one of the records which made be stop what i was doing and just listen when i first heard it .
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Dangermouse kills Chopin. Hands down.

Oh, wait...*cough*...SARCASM.

Re-adjust your "genius" meter, please. I'm certain he's a nice guy though.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have thought the key ingredient was marketing.
marketing can get people to hear a song...

but i haven't found it can really make people love a song...

danger mouse has produced hot songs in the last couple of years, under different names...

i'll bet alot of kids downloading his gnarls barkley tracks don't even know he's the guy behind the gorillaz tracks...

but why be cynical, temas?

if its so easy, do it. get paid!!!
Old 25th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane

but why be cynical, temas?
Sorry. I have been dealing with a very difficult and upsetting situation at home this week, whilst being very busy with work, and hence feeling a bit antagonistic I guess. I actually like Crazy too - especially the recording of the strings in the chorus - really deep and full bodied. Any idea on the size of the string section? (I'm presuming they were live recordings).

thumbsup
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

Think maybe I should let you guys in on something heh

Crazy is basically a 'library' track (production music for you in the US)! It's on one of BMG / Zomba's labels - probably early Bruton or Chappell.

Apparently, Danger Mouse has been going through their old back catalogues looking for tracks to sample / remix. Several have made it onto the album I'm led to believe.
Old 26th May 2006
heh
well, he did do a good job IMHO
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Dangermouse a genius??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylizor
Think maybe I should let you guys in on something heh

Crazy is basically a 'library' track (production music for you in the US)! It's on one of BMG / Zomba's labels - probably early Bruton or Chappell.

Apparently, Danger Mouse has been going through their old back catalogues looking for tracks to sample / remix. Several have made it onto the album I'm led to believe.

I tried to listen to the grey album, but (for me) it was un-listenable.
I don't get how Danger Mouse is a"genius". <??>

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search