The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
gnarls barkley / danger mouse; genius?
Old 27th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Cee-lo has a good voice, and knows how to belt it out. Check out some Goodie Mob, Dungeon Family or his solo album of a few years back if the Gnarls is appealing. I'm still kinda split on dangermouse as a super-producer...RJD2 does some nice old school r&b sample mining that I do prefer, ymmv, of course.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

i don't know the gnarls barkley record, but i was at a taping of the jools holland show last
week in london and stood by them as they performed, and they definitely
were compelling......lots of spirit.....very energetic band
i don't think i would feel comfortable comparing them to sly, but to me he's
really one of a kind.....

speaking of sly, anybody ever heard of a guy from florida from the 70's called
little beaver - he was great.....i heard a piece of vinyl in an east village shop
last night......wow

be well

- jack
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

my dad LOVES gnarles barkley. its very funny when I'M showing MY DAD the music.
Old 28th May 2006
Here for the gear

I highly doubt a debate in semantics is what the poster was looking for. I missed the part where he compared DM to Da Vinci or Einstein. Picture yourself sitting at a bar, or a table with your friends and someone says "man... danger mouse is a genius for this stuff"... obviously not very "literal" sounding. Thats how I understood the post. or maybe I could be wrong and I took it out of context.

It's a good album - urination contests have no place near good albums.

tutt
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I like the production a lot. The string bass thing is great......and the strings.
But I feel that this stuff is all about the vocal. Tone and phrasing.
The producer is very fortunate to have him on board. That tune could have been treated a number of different ways and it still would work.
The way that guy sings will sell most things. It's an average tune with an outstanding vocal.

I like "crazy" but 2 things:
1 It's a great vocal in an average tune.
2 It shines in a market of mediocrity. (driftwood in a sea of ****)

Even something "half decent" sounds good these days.
But it's nice to hear something even "half good".
I'll probably buy it.
"probably" see what I mean?
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylizor
Think maybe I should let you guys in on something heh

Crazy is basically a 'library' track (production music for you in the US)! It's on one of BMG / Zomba's labels - probably early Bruton or Chappell.

Apparently, Danger Mouse has been going through their old back catalogues looking for tracks to sample / remix. Several have made it onto the album I'm led to believe.
wow, if true, that's amazing...

but, the vocals / melody / lyrics is what makes the track, imo...

btw, rjd2... i think i read in wax poetics that some older legend, axelrod, mizzell's or someone like that, was shocked to hear that rjd2 totally lifted their track with no changes to it... and no clearance / permission either...
Old 25th June 2008
AJR
Here for the gear
the G word

Genius gets thrown around way to much these days in my opinion.

IQ?
115-124 - Above average (e.g., university students)
125-134 - Gifted (e.g., post-graduate students)
135-144 - Highly gifted (e.g., intellectuals)
145-154 - Genius (e.g., professors)
155-164 - Genius (e.g., Nobel Prize winners)
165-179 - High genius
180-200 - Highest genius
>200 - "Unmeasurable genius"

not sure where danger mouse falls on this chart but one can bet not as high as
Albert Einstein

ajax
Old 25th June 2008
Deleted User
Here is where the 'CRAZY', music is sampled from.. a raw breakbeat
that isn't even in time was put over the top.

YouTube - Cowboy Bebop AMV: Gian F. Reverberi - Nel Cimitero Di Tucson

But it really works and was a standout record.

The new Beck track is sounding interesting - amazing drums..
Old 25th June 2008
Gear Maniac

I thought some of the songs were really cool, didnt really take to others, but i certainly thought the production was awesome. Dangermouse's work is pretty amazing. The first half of Sparklehorses 'spent light years...' record that he produced is really amazing.
Old 25th June 2008
Lives for gear

danger mouse has good taste and i love his stuff but i love cee lo way more - danger mouse says himself he is VERY lucky to be working with him!....he is a freak......like he announces on one of his solo records he really IS the soul machine!......i saw gnarls a coupla weeks back at a tiny london show and cee lo just smoked! he was giving it his all and nailing all his high stuff.....he is very entertaining live.....it was funny: at the start of the encore danger came out and started playing this organ line to start 'whose gonna save my soul' - a song he says he is VERY proud of.....it was supposed to be a very serious moment but then cee lo came out on stage and started to flash his fat, tattoo-covered gut and the crowd went crazy and cee lo was laughing! danger didn't look too happy! man it was funny!....a great show!

the new(ish) black keys record sounds great but then again so do their other records.....danger just added some pretty simple stuff to flesh it out and (shock-horror) some BASS in a coupla tunes!

ps - RJD2 sucks big time.....he is STILL trying to do what dj shadow did over 10 years ago and it is just lame!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search