The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking for really good guitar amp tech
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

looking for really good guitar amp tech

Anyone know a really good guitar amp tech who can do great rehab and mod of Fender amps -- who really understands the "full, clean, jangley, into the edge of breaking up sound"?? I have an early 90's Blues Deville 2x12 that I played and loved for about 12-13 years -- until about 4 months ago, when it started seriously losing low end. I did the usual with good new tubes, etc., (it's definitely not a tube issue) and finally a local tech said it needed to be recapped. That's been done and it helped some, but it's not the same, and I really miss what I loved about it originally. I'm willing to ship somewhere to someone who really knows the Fender restoration/mod thing... I've had/played good AC30's and Matchless amps, but there's something about this amp (when it's right) that I love...

thanks!!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

IMO, sometimes what we like about our old gear is leaky, bleedy caps. Try getting some that have seven or eight years on 'em. Tell the guy you'll trade.

There's a guy 'round here called 'Zoso' whose kind of in the boutique amp cap business. Maybe check with him.

Anyhow, that's where I think the issue is. I bet it really got good about halfway thru it's tenure.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

good call! the originals were probably cheaper caps than the ones that got put in, too... sometimes i prefer cheap guitar pickups over hand wound, boutique ones... and, with battery driven pedals, the best sound is usually after the battery's a little worn in -- worn in a little/lot is better on just about everything... :-)

when you say Zoso's "'round here" do you mean on gearslutz (i'll search) or in your area(s)?

thanks!!!
Old 21st May 2006
I don't know anyone in your neck of the woods, but Jeff Bakos in Atlanta is the best.

Ben
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

In Nashville: Kye Kennedy, Clay Hullett, Todd Sharp. Google away...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

My bad. It's Sozo.

http://www.sozoamplification.com/

Yeah, I know people who have had preamps and EQ's recapped and hated the way they sound, and I know it's got a lot to do with the preference of vintage vs reissue.

Personally, with mic preamps and stuff, I wanna hear it all, so I like the sound of fresh caps, but to each his own. It seems to me that fresh caps get you more dynamic range, and perhaps extended freq. range. Softening that stuff up a bit may be more pleasing to the ear.

Anyhow, check it out.

Max
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks all -- anyone else feel free to throw in, too, but this is good info...!!
Old 22nd May 2006
Here for the gear

Voodoo Amps?...

Cheers mate!

I'm surprised no one has suggested the following:

http://www.voodooamps.com/

I've never dealt with them but my understanding is they have really good reputation. You can check their reviews on Harmonycentral.com. On their site there is a lot of info on the mods they do and you can listen to plenty of samples. Best of all, they are also near the shores of Cayuga Lake, so you can always stop by their shop and talk to them.

Hope that helps.

Go Big Red
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Voodoo's here in my hometown, and I've been working with them (they did the recap) -- VERY nice guys, etc., but I'm looking for someone with LOTS of experience with Fenders...

thanks!
Old 22nd May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff
Anyone know a really good guitar amp tech who can do great rehab and mod of Fender amps -- who really understands the "full, clean, jangley, into the edge of breaking up sound"?? I have an early 90's Blues Deville 2x12 that I played and loved for about 12-13 years -- until about 4 months ago, when it started seriously losing low end. I did the usual with good new tubes, etc., (it's definitely not a tube issue) and finally a local tech said it needed to be recapped. That's been done and it helped some, but it's not the same, and I really miss what I loved about it originally. I'm willing to ship somewhere to someone who really knows the Fender restoration/mod thing... I've had/played good AC30's and Matchless amps, but there's something about this amp (when it's right) that I love...

thanks!!
Hey analogjeff,
Have you checked your speakers? Are they in phase? Are the mounting nuts tight? Is the speaker lead cable ok and the connectors tight? Maybe one speaker is weak. Just something to check out. Maybe one or both need to be re-coned? That's not too expensive a job. Cheaper than shipping probably.

Rick
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

the best imo.....

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/service/
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff
Voodoo's here in my hometown, and I've been working with them (they did the recap) -- VERY nice guys, etc., but I'm looking for someone with LOTS of experience with Fenders...

thanks!
Tracy's a GREAT amp guy...one of the best period.

If he can't make it right then you might be searching for something that's just not entirely possible...

I have a '61 Blonde/Brown Bandmaster & it had the original caps & all other parts when I got it. Sounded KILLER & I had it recapped & gone over almost immediatly by a solid tech here in NJ.

When I got it back some of the snarl & bite that I dig was gone & I'll admit to missing it a bit but the amp still sounds REALLY good & the leaky caps & busted tube socket are gone so I won't have to worry about it melting.

I'd keep playing it for a bit until it breaks in more and/or you get used to it.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli
In Nashville: Kye Kennedy, Clay Hullett, Todd Sharp. Google away...

Hey there... Kye Kennedy is actually a friend of mine, and I am not just saying this because of that... but he is DEFINITELY a great for Fenders. He is a Fender connoisseur himself and really knows great tone. In all honestly, he and I differ in our opinions about tubes, but he is consumate professional and will use whatever you ask him to use, and set up the amp however you like it. My main clean channel amp for my live rig is a silverface bassman that Kye modded for me. He wired the right channel back to blackface specs, and the left channel to Marshall type circuit. He has a complete custom mod for those that's unique (he calls it the "weenie roast"). Anyway, mine is ultra cool.

Kye comes highly recommend for Fender work by me: 615-500-8904.. you can tell him I sent ya.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

check out savage audio

www.savageamps.com

they do tech work for the studio i interned at a while back, and really are cool guys who know their stuff

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search