The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which MIDI controller???? Help me buy
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

which MIDI controller???? Help me buy

I have been mulling over buying an oxygen 8 for bass lines and drums, would that be a good plan to stick with?
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

For me I like something with pads for drums, no keyboards.
(Also have noted too many lower cost keyboards have premature
deaths of keys used for drumming).

Both of these are in current use here.

Korg padKONTROL (around $199)
AKAI MPD16 (around $99)
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks for pad advice, but I think I am going to still try out a keyboard.... Anyone know what kicks?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
thanks for pad advice, but I think I am going to still try out a keyboard.... Anyone know what kicks?
I like Studiologic (Fatar), you can find them at Sweetwater.

The CME line is also good I hear, but I have no hands-on with them.

Others swear by the Yamaha s90. I like it too, but I'm not a good enough pianist to warrant the price tag.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

I bought an Oxygen8 for the same thing. The USB connection flaked out soon thereafter, so I now use it via its MIDI OUT into my MTP/AV. I bought a second one (used) off a guy (since it was supposed to be my 'laptop on the couch rig'), and the new one works well, except for a frozen controller knob. Not easy to replace either, since they're PCB mount pots. At least there are 7 working knobs left (for now). They are built really cheaply throughout, and the silver paint won't hold up to any abuse.

On the plus side, their MIDI programmability is good. They don't cost much. You can power them from MIDI, AA batteries, or included wall-wart power. The keys probably have an okay feel for basslines and drums, though they are very 'y', acoustically. I guess my recommendation would be to compare it to the competition. I think M-Audio has a new model that's not so tall, which is something to think about if you plan to carry it in a bag, or mount it on a sliding shelf.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

so Johnny the oxygen 8 wasn't very impressive huh? What about the new one?
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

try the m-audio axiom modells , they have everything you need and a nice keyboard

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search