The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your success so far
Old 21st May 2006
Here for the gear

Your success so far

My general outlook from reading around different studio engineer/producer discussion boards is that becoming an audio producer/engineer is not very profitable to nearly non-profitable in some situations. I'd like to kinda test that by taking a poll here and see what happens.

Obviously, the answer to this question is going to be very different for each person. But here is goes:

1)At least very roughly (to your best average estimate), how much paid work time do you get in your studio a day? A week? (or do I dare say, a month?)

2)What city (and state or country) is your studio located? ...And

3)What is the general caliber of your studio size and operation?

The last two questions help to put into perspective the first one, and only need to be short answers.

I'm just hoping to get a sense of the field and where the best opportunities for opening a studio lay. And also trying to get a general sense of how much success others have obtained in the field.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Guru

I hate to bust your bubble but this is Gearslutz.

It's not the entire audio community.

99% of the people I know who are successful in this business, do not come to these forums. They work really long hours and do other things with their personal time.

While a site like this one is bound to gather tons of people looking to learn.

So I believe that your poll will not be very accurate.

I will give you my 2 cents though.

This is a very hard business to be successful at unless you're either great, or unbelievably motivated and won't take no for an answer.

Most business's allow for a certain amount of incompetence and can still make money. Unfortunately I see this more and more each day.

Our business is not one of those. Be great or learn to require less.

Enjoy.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

My work is largely done as a charitable contribution to my local non-commercial radio community. On the rare occasions when I get paid, I put the money into improving my equipment. I have a day job that otherwise pays the bills. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher
99% of the people I know who are successful in this business, do not come to these forums. They work really long hours and do other things with their personal time.
I do not know if this is true or not but, we have done very well. I make my entire living off of music i.e. producing, engineering and/or the studio. I check in here often. A great place to gather knowledge, see what other people are doing and how, as well as networking.

This biz does take some tenacity but I can not imagine doing anything else. Fortunately I get to work with extremely talented and pleasant people. If they were all a**holes I don't think I could do the long hours.

I agree it can be a tough biz and there ups & downs but I love what I do.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

That's been my experience too. I come on here cuz I'm an amateur engineer trying to get better. But I'm a professional musician and I don't go to music forums to talk about guitar. (Although I love it when I see someone like Bob Katz posting!)
Old 22nd May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Actually, there are quite a few successful engineers/producers who have been involved with GS. Admittedly the days are long in this business, but I don't think many go straight to bed when they finish recording for the day.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear
also, being a producer/engineer is NOT the same thing as owning a "studio"... even what now passes for a "studio"

they may overlap, but the studio business, the engineering business, and the producing business are different jobs.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
99% of the people I know who are successful in this business, do not come to these forums.
Luckily for us, Bob Olhsson and Harvey Gerst do. They're the 1%.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
"et al"

not mentioning any names.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

I'm going to take responsibility (cause that's what effective people do) for being misunderstood here. It is not your job to understand me. It is my job to be understood. So, once again, I've failed.

Allow me to clarify.

I never said that 99% of the people at Gearslutz are not successful. That would be ludicrous, pompous and stupid. Although I am a few of these, my statement had a different meaning.

What I said was "99% of the people that "I KNOW" that are successful, don't come to these forums."

A very different statement and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

I would bet that most people here are quite successful.

I just don't know enuff of you.

Peace.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm going to take responsibility (cause that's what effective people do) for being misunderstood here. It is not your job to understand me. It is my job to be understood. So, once again, I've failed.

Allow me to clarify.

I never said that 99% of the people at Gearslutz are not successful. That would be ludicrous, pompous and stupid. Although I am a few of these, my statement had a different meaning.

What I said was "99% of the people that "I KNOW" that are successful, don't come to these forums."

A very different statement and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

I would bet that most people here are quite successful.

I just don't know enuff of you.

Peace.
That's what I thought you meant when I quoted you the first time and I was saying the same thing (so you're not a total failure!). I didn't realize anyone was taking it a different way so I too hope I wasn't being misunderstood. Obviously there are a good amount of people on here who are successful enough to be doing it for a living and even a few extremely successful ones who are nice enough to share their knowledge. I wish more of them would come on here.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

My studio is my only gig. It's relatively small - control roomHaving said that let me say that my business model has been one of diversity. I do just about everything you can do at a studio nowadays except video work - track and mix local bands, short run cd duplication, graphic design (subcontracted out to my brother), local club "live" recordings, produce beats for hip-hop artists, the list goes on. I even hold recording workshops here on from time to time.

I think the key to finding any success in the modern recording/audio world is to hussle yer ass off! Research your area and find out what's missing and try to cater to the need. My studio is located in a very small town in western MA, USA but I'm succeeding due to the fact that I'm a one-stop-shop for bands. Since I'm in a rural area, most of my clients love the fact that they can come record, mix, master, and leave with a cds to sell at their next show.

Peace
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I would say I'm booked roughly 30 hours per week.
I could get more work, but I'm also in a Rock band thats going on tour next week.
It allways seems that when my studio starts cooking, i have to take off a week or two to take care of band stuff.
I'm in Chicago in a Session studio (More like a B room of a nice studio).
I charge $30.00 per hour.
Actually, Gear slutz has help me put a freeze on alot of gear.
It has helped me determine not to buy prosummer stuff, and go for the goodies!
I focus mainly on full album projects, but theres alot of things you can do to make a buck.
voice overs and books to tape are good bread and butter gigs.
You can make a living, may not move to the high end part of town, but if you minimize the gear you buy, you can make it!
Like S sibs said, Hustle is the name of the game.
Take all the sessions you can because you never know when the studio will die down and you only have a few voice overs for the entire week!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
William Wittman is way more successful than I am. Plus, he gets to stare at Cyndi Lauper all day. I get to stare at a lot of grungy Death Metal musicians all day. Not the same thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search