The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TF P38 and Drawmer 1968 ME vs. Distressor Pair!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

TF P38 and Drawmer 1968 ME vs. Distressor Pair!

Hi,

still on my search for the optimal compression set up! 3.5k bucks fot it right now! I just got a lot infos and found out a lot about the distressor. I believe it is a good unit and it has to fit my rack someday! But I am wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to take two cheaper stereo units at first!?

Has anyone used these three units and can tell me if he could rather live without the distressors or without the other two units? I heard they are fine units! P38 very versatile for a lot of jobs and the drawmer great for the buss and a little fattening and warmthening?

I also thought about the API 2500, but this one is not as versatile as these two setups, right? Please help me!

Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

i have the 1969 wich is the same compressor unit as the 1968 but with some more added stuff. i have also a pair of distressors e8xs, but no expirience with the ftpro.
however, the drawmer is one of my all-time favourites for buss work, especially on drums. it can - if the matrial is right - very good for master buss duties especially in rock heavy context, too.
i also use it for tracking. vox, bass, crunch guitars etc.

the disessor is - in my small world - the **** for tracking almost everything from any source because of it's vast versatilty. in mixing i use it on guitars, bass, room drums, kick, snare. but, it is in my opinion not really a master buss compressor. i tried it once and it just did not do it for me. i also never heard of anybody using a distressor on the masterbuss.

the tfpro. i have not used that unit, but i read some good things about it here at slutz. maybe do a search.

hope this helps you a little bit.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

wow big thanks, this is kinda ost I love to read here!!!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

TFPro P38 + Drawmer 1969 = 3400
Distressor 2 = 2500

I think Distressors are more expensive in Europe and Drawmer/TFPro cheaper.
Anyway, TFPro/Drawmer is great pair of compressors (Optical+FET) that will bring you mach further than 10 Distressors.
I had or have all three, love them, but Distreesor has in reality very broad range of good (usable) and limited range of great (means the best for the task) sounds.
TFPro and Drawmer are the best bang for buck among compressors, so no doubt what is better choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search