The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the tube inside the AT4060?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

What is the tube inside the AT4060?

I have a Audio Technica 4060 that sounds like the tube is going bad. Does anyone know what tube they are using inside this microphone?

Thanks,
Michael Greene
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

When I opened up mine it had a Sovtek 6922 in there. I'd like to replace it with something a bit warmer and with more character.

Anyone with any suggestions?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs
When I opened up mine it had a Sovtek 6922 in there. I'd like to replace it with something a bit warmer and with more character.

Anyone with any suggestions?
http://kcanostubes.com/content/estor...y=&product=367

http://kcanostubes.com/content/estor...y=&product=416

Not a lot of substitutes for this tube, but either of these would do the trick.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Perfect. Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Michael Greene
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been using a 4060 that doesn't belong to me, but I think the tube could be replaced on this one too. MJG, how old is that tube in yours?

Funny that the tube type wasn't in the specs. All I found was a picture of the guts.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the tube inside the AT4060?-picture-14.jpg  
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Max,
I am not sure how old the tube is. I have a pair and one I bought from a client who has probably had it for 4-6 years. The other I bought from someone here on GS who used it a couple of times and then got short on cash. Both are in mint condition and show no signs of wear. That actually is the problem. Since I got them within 3 months of each other and at the time I was buying a bunch of stuff I never marked marked then so that I would know which is which. I haven't looked at the serial numbers either ( Doh, That would probably tell me which one is the older one. I will do that in the morning) but I would imagine it is the older one that has gone bad. My client used it every day since it was his only microphone. All that being said it is actually amazing how much they sound alike even thought they are years apart and one has had a lot more use. I do know that he always used a good pop screen on it so it seems that the capsule was protected really well.

I will let you know what I find Max. I am going to try and swing by me local vintage tube guy and see what he has in stock.

Also I agree with you. I find it interesting now days that none of the manufacturers seem to list the types of tubes in their "tube" gear. You usually have to go digging deep to find them. I bought a pair of MXL V-69 mogami editions about 2 years ago to use as spot mics on big orchestral sessions and found that I liked them on some other things pretty well. I know that they could be upgraded with a better tube. When I pulled them apart the tubes didn't even have a number on them. Just a cheesy MXL logo. After digging I found out what they were. I put some NOS Telefunken's in them and they sounded a million times better. It still really pissed me off that they wouldn't put it in the lit, or even on the tube it self.

Michael Greene

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search