The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eurovision song contest sucked this time
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Eurovision song contest sucked this time

This is the first time EVER that I didn't like a single song in the Eurovision song contest. I was not surprised since the quality of music has been very low overall during the last years and the Eurovision song contest was pretty bad last year too. It's all about entertainment and none about simple honest musical talent. This time I thought there was an anti-christ type of vibe throughout the whole show. It was much about sex, revolt, external character, ego and darkness, frankly I don't think that has anything to do with music when it's the best. So in my taste this show was not a really good representation of good hit songs. It was more a sign that europeans are currently out of character and lack spiritual peace, which is really not a very positive sign. What can I say more than, the music was dead!

Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmm... I dunno...

Bosnia/Herzogovina was a really nice ballad.
France's contribution was really nice.
Ireland's, as well...
Spain rocked from the little I heard, Santana groove....
That guy from Romania is a fantastic tenor...
Germany had a great, well written and played Nashville tune.... WTF???? At Eurovision???

Finland was popular.... Good costumes and make-up.....Metal is in.... They won.. For the first time... They are masters of parody.

But hey, what do you want? It's political. It's popular. Is it musical? Well, luckily we get a couple of really well produced, well written tunes.

BTW, what's up with Greece and that lip sync ****???? Does the host country get special privileges??
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
Hmmm... I dunno...

Bosnia/Herzocovina was a really nice ballad.
I liked that one too and there were a couple of other nice tunes. Not worse than usually.... I liked the Norwegian song too.
Old 21st May 2006
lwr
Gear Addict

what the **** was the uk entry about.

we have far more talent in the uk than that
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

"Finland was popular.... Good costumes and make-up.....Metal is in.... They won.. For the first time... They are masters of parody."
I didn`t watch those but started laughing spontaniously when I heard the
results. Good You see it as a parody
Matti, Finland
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm... I dunno...

Bosnia/Herzocovina was a really nice ballad.
Ireland's, as well...
Spain rocked from the little I heard, Santana groove....
That guy from Romania is a fantastic tenor...
Germany had a great, well written and played Nashville tune.... WTF???? At Eurovision???
Bosnia sounded great, nice guitarplaying, nice arrangement.
France was out of tune the whole song, the poor girl.
Spain didn´t find the pitch either.
Germany was clean rip-off from Denmarks last years contribution.

It´s wasn´t a good year for the Eurovision songcontest.
My 5 years old kid was happy that the monsters from Finland won

Kalli
Old 21st May 2006
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr
My 5 years old kid was happy that the monsters from Finland won

Kalli

Me too. heh

-Jtt
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

'anti-christ type of vibe ...'

lol

I wish I would have been. all I saw was the typical 'try to irritate without steeping on peoples feet to much' stance that is just typical for show-biz.

anybody who takes any message in these contexts serious hasn't understood that show-biz is a business that purely functions by generating attention. any vibe is welcome here as long as it sells. and in the end of the day the consumer knows that and is smart enough not to take anything serious.

be it anti-christian today it will be pro-christian tomorrow. I wish it could be more atheist in the end of the day
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I liked the monsters! They won fair! Haard rokk Halle Luulja!

/Cojo
Old 21st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
It was more a sign that europeans are currently out of character and lack spiritual peace, which is really not a very positive sign. What can I say more than, the music was dead!
From a rather silly television show, you deduce that europeans in general are out of character and lack spiritual peace?

That's a pretty bold statement...
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

It was kind of protest.
Winning song was kind of good, well produced joke. Old Europe still has sense of humor.
To me France. Latvia (vocal band), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Romania and Sweden had nice songs.
Although Russian's singer (2nd place) is famous and well supported here in Russia, I would frankly rate his song as between 5th and 10th.
But,
EUROPE NEEDS OUR GAS. heh
I was amazed how many votes Russia received purely on geopolitical basis.
And it has nothing with music.
But it's nice to know it.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

What do you think about the singer who sung at the beginning, before the contest began?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo
What do you think about the singer who sung at the beginning, before the contest began?
If you mean the guy that was part of hosting the show? I missed some in the beginning, but on the TV show before that he sung at the beginning before the contest began and that was awesome! I wish that would have been the standard...
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon
From a rather silly television show, you deduce that europeans in general are out of character and lack spiritual peace?

That's a pretty bold statement...
I actually don't, I was referring to the ones that voted that signaled such things through the voting.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Crap ? You are joking, right ? It was pure genius entertainment ! The British entrant was awful, as always..I actually thought there were some semi tolerable entries this time round, some good stuff coming up from the east. But, on the genius of eurovision front - WHAT REALLY MATTERS.....

"Hey - we're got a robot made out of a tin tray & a busicuit tin..yeah we need that on stage with our acapella number. Oh, and don't forget to moonwalk. Why ? Cos you can.."

"We are the winners of the eurovision ! VOTE !! VOTE !!"

German country western with green lightrope cacti. Oh wait, David Hasslehoff is an artist there...anything is possible.

and basically a Finnish GWAR won...and eveyone liked it for all its rubber suited ****e heavy metal silliness.

And did you notice how many beautiful women there were ?

Tell me something better that's been on TV recently ???!!!
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

Sorry I meant the female singer that sung at the beginning and during the time of the voting.(That part of Aristophanes comedy )
Old 21st May 2006
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I enjoyed this year more than another.

The Finnish entry rawked- Terry Wogan was drunker and funnier than usual and did I mention that chick from Moldova?

JR
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon
Yeah, I could read that from her performance. The woman needs help...
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

??? did you Hear the performance of that???
the pitching was WAAYYYY out!!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
??? did you Hear the performance of that???
the pitching was WAAYYYY out!!
Did you hear Andre from Armenia? That was like on a completely different level in terms of the vocals not being in tune.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon

Damn, I thought I couldn't laugh any louder than during her performance.

I was so wrong heh

Thanks for the link
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

'Eurovision Sucked This Year' , as opposed to last year , ha ha ha ha ha, i though it kinda sucked every year ......

But the chics from Norway and Ukraine were awesome . worth watching just for that
Old 21st May 2006
Gon
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
But the chics from Norway (...)

Yeah, she is rather cute
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

i didnt see the entire show but most of it, and i agree there was not a single decent song.
those who say liked some of them, would you listen to any of them any day of the week? would you even waste HD space on your laptop storing any of the songs?

i think what was shown in the Eurovison contest is exactly what's been happening to the music industry (and killing it) for the last 10 years or more. The only things to take care of were the looks, the short skirts and the dancing girls.

Music is not important in todays music.

btw, i was surprised the (very bad song from the) weirdo Finns won, i though Eurovision was a kitsch show for older people.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
'Eurovision Sucked This Year' , as opposed to last year , ha ha ha ha ha, i though it kinda sucked every year ......

But the chics from Norway and Ukraine were awesome . worth watching just for that

Reganomics doesn't suck ??? really ???

I only find myself watching it when I'm in the United States of Macedonia ... the whole thing is a joke and should be called anti-talenti !!!

I still don't understand how Israel is part of Europe ??? and Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon is not ???
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymite
Reganomics doesn't suck ??? really ???

I only find myself watching it when I'm in the United States of Macedonia ... the whole thing is a joke and should be called anti-talenti !!!

I still don't understand how Israel is part of Europe ??? and Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon is not ???

Hey Tony , our girl Elena was very cute as well , she is a good singer ,though did not shine vocally on the night !

As far as countries being in Europe , where did Armenia come from ? aren't they on the other side of Turkey ?heh

Pozdrav
Old 21st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyNarrowBand
'anti-christ type of vibe ...'

lol

I wish I would have been. all I saw was the typical 'try to irritate without steeping on peoples feet to much' stance that is just typical for show-biz.

anybody who takes any message in these contexts serious hasn't understood that show-biz is a business that purely functions by generating attention. any vibe is welcome here as long as it sells. and in the end of the day the consumer knows that and is smart enough not to take anything serious.

be it anti-christian today it will be pro-christian tomorrow. I wish it could be more atheist in the end of the day
Two thumbsup
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey Tony , our girl Elena was very cute as well , she is a good singer ,though did not shine vocally on the night !

As far as countries being in Europe , where did Armenia come from ? aren't they on the other side of Turkey ?heh

Pozdrav
I can kinda understand Armenia - since they are direct decendant's of Alexander the Great .. just like the Hunza and Kalash people of the Himalaya's, north of Pakistan.
But geographically ... I dunno ??? i suppose sub-saharan greeks are part of europe too ???
Old 21st May 2006
Deleted User
Hey.

Soon it is the 6:th of june 2006.

No wonder the finnish ensemble took home the prize.

And YES - there were a lot of singers completely out of tune. I suspected someone had put a pitch shifter between the main out and the in-ear monitors, before I undestood that the singing must have been severly disturbed by the singers brain working the coordinated dance moves on stage.

Whattamess!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search