The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is their a 2inch 8 track reel to reel recorder in existance
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

and plz tell me the brand or manufacturer.

I only know of 2" 16 track and 24 track unless heads have been rebuilt.

i would love to track to a 2" 8 track and mix to pt hd2 ITB and mix down to the ampex 102 2trk 1\2 or the new 2trk 1".

also you guys are very knowledgable i have learned quite a bit from this site and keep up the good work.
thanks again
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=lexxon]is their a 2inch 8 track reel to reel recorder in existance
and plz tell me the brand or manufacturer.

I only know of 2" 16 track and 24 track unless heads have been rebuilt.

i would love to track to a 2" 8 track and mix to pt hd2 ITB and mix down to the ampex 102 2trk 1\2 or the new 2trk 1".

also you guys are very knowledgable i have learned quite a bit from this site and keep up the good work.
thanks again[/life is short love it long]
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Fletcher was pretty involved with the creation of that beast. Check here for some more info. Also, for future reference, you can use Google.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Weren't the drums on Superunknown recorded to 8-track 2"?
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

There's several that I know of.

Michael Beinhorn owns one (2?!?) and has made more then a couple three records with ‘em…Fletcher or someone else could probably tell you which ones & which bits but from what I gather ‘Superunknown’ was made on 2” 24-track. Killer record BTW!

There was one at Sound Station 7 in Rhode Island. AFAIK the studio closed a few years ago & I don't know where that or any of the other gear ended up.

Mix O Lydian in NJ owned another one & that was sold a few years back, I think when the studio's owner was going though some rough times...but maybe he sold it to get their HD rig. I was living out of the area for a while & the last time I talked to someone who had worked there recently they said it was gone.

There's another one that’s currently installed & running at a private studio just outside of Chicago & that room is equipped with ALL sorts of other formats including a DAW & regular old 2” 24-track.

To build a 2” 8-track you basically start with a working 2" 16 or 24-track and build a whole new machine based around the transport & frame. Mad expensive.

Is it worth it?

From my point of view...no.

I've worked on & have heard a few dozen records that were cut to the 2" 8 that was at Mix-O back in the day and really, the difference in tone between that deck (built on an A800) and a 2" 24-track (A827) were pretty obvious when your in the control room. Even the girlfriends could tell!!!

In all actual practice though, once you stepped outta' the control room and brought the music into the 'real world' in terms of a finished record or even rough mixes the difference in tone was pretty minute & just not worth it in terms of a ‘noticeable’ or measurable difference.

In blind tests people (including myself) couldn’t consistently pick out which was 2” 8 and what was 2” 24. To contrast, the difference between 2" 24-track and digital formats were PAINFULLY obvious.

From a working perspective we'd end up cutting drums & bass to the 8-track and then have to do overdubs to either DA-88's or a toolz rig OR slave the A827 and blast through two reels of tape for a total of 31 tracks. With an average of $175 a reel it's expensive no matter how 'ya slice it or what speed you run at.

IMO the 2" 8 was great for minimalist stuff but on projects that required lots of tracks for overdubs (which is most stuff) the sonics with running the 2" 8 and digital together...well...really...I'm sort of at a loss for words in trying to describe it, but really...there's just no balance between the formats.

Most of the time it would end up with say; kick, snare, OH's, bass (one track), the main L/R guitars & the lead vocal on 2" 8 and EVERYTHING else on digital. So some of the stuff would sound killer (in the room) and the rest of it was pretty average. In my experience running one 2" 24-track consistently yielded a better & more cohesive balance of sounds and was FAR FAR easier to work with and manage in terms of overdubs, editing and just keeping the tapes and all the track sheets & other bits & pieces sorted out.

Even if I were to have the option of running 2” 8-track on a new project again I probably wouldn’t exercise it unless it was a jazz trio or something small where we could get everything onto the 8-tracks, OR keep tracking & slaving & dumping to a DAW with primo converters & mix out of the DAW to a REALLY good analog desk.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

it would make a nice mixdown deck for surround...
Old 22nd May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
it would make a nice mixdown deck for surround...
If I'm not mistaken, Elliott Scheiner has a 2" 8 track that he uses for his surround masters. I believe it's a Studer A8xx.

-chris
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it'd be fun to make a record on just one 8 track 2" machine (no slave decks or DAWs). Kinda go back to some old school recording techniques. It would have to be the right project (IE, NOT Britney Spears). Anyone out there still doing this in the rock/pop market? Maybe Ethan Johns or someone like that?
Old 22nd May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201
I think it'd be fun to make a record on just one 8 track 2" machine (no slave decks or DAWs). Kinda go back to some old school recording techniques. It would have to be the right project (IE, NOT Britney Spears). Anyone out there still doing this in the rock/pop market? Maybe Ethan Johns or someone like that?
I think the White Stripes made their last record on analog 8-track.

The reason you don't see & hear a lot of rock/pop records like that is basically 2-fold...

a) Not too many bands can play well enough to record to a format like that. Even if they could (and the bands ARE out there) the music doesn't fit into the current "big time" expectations of what's deemed "marketable" rock music by the powers that control the airwaves at large.

b) Even if the band WAS good enough & stylistically appropriate for whatever passes as 'modern rock radio' these day...the limitations of the production format mean that the recording itself most likely won't fulfill the A&R expectations of 'marketable modern rock' in terms of 'production value.'

There's NO way any 8-track production can compete with a bajillion track deal & that's what labels expect to hear these days and if doesn't sound like that then everyone's looking for a new gig.

There are exceptions to the rule like the Stripes but their the exception, not the majority.

You'll find that aesthetic more in the indie world then you will in the mainstream.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I already seen them on ebay. You have an Otari model and a Studer at least.
Old 23rd May 2006
jbo
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
There are exceptions to the rule like the Stripes but their the exception, not the majority.
ha, yeah. i guess they defy your rule about needing to be able to play well enough to record to a format like that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search