The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to move from a Eureka to 2 good pre's ...Help?
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Looking to move from a Eureka to 2 good pre's ...Help?

Hey folks …I currently have a simple (1 track at a time) home hobby studio. I run Logic Pro 7.2 on a MBP, I use a Presonus Firebox interface, a Presonus Eureka Mic Pre, And have a Neumann TLM-103 and Sure SM57 for capture. My sources for capture are a Mesa Amp, a Taylor Acoustic guitar, and male voice. I plan to add a Shure SM81 (one now and one in the near future) for more versatility on acoustic. I use the TLM103 on voice, the tlm103 and sm57 on my amp cab, and plan to use the tlm103 and sm81 or two sm81’s on acoustic.

In my recording (which isn’t at all edgy) I often enjoy blending an panning different mics to get a nice dimension to the sounds.

Now to my question …I like the firebox as an interface, but find its pre’s to be noisy and sort of weak when I compare to my second channel on the Eureka. I made the mistake previously thinking only my expensive mic needed a good pre and now I know I need two good pre’s.

So The Eureka is nice but its actually the only decent pre I have used. I am looking to unload it and get 2 good channels or perhaps another eureka. I don’t really need the Eureka’s compressor or mediocre EQ so I feel I could get something better at around the same price.

I have been eyeballing the FMR Audio RNP (Really Nice Preamp) for its price point. I am not sure if this would be a down/up/or lateral move but I like the idea of a no frills pre. Also two-used Grace 101’s would probably be my max budget but if the RNP is as good or better than the Eureka I am inclined to go there due to price (unless there is some other option that’s a major jump)
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Here are a few suggestions.

If you have the money, Presonus ADL600 or find a six space API 500 series lunchbox and asome OSA pres.

If your on a budget, the Eureka's are pretty good pres.
Sytek MPX 4A WOuld get you 4 channels that sound pretty good.

There are tons more that others will recomend so keep an open mind and be willing to try out a few before you decide.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntp
I have been eyeballing the FMR Audio RNP (Really Nice Preamp) for its price point. I am not sure if this would be a down/up/or lateral move but I like the idea of a no frills pre. Also two-used Grace 101’s would probably be my max budget but if the RNP is as good or better than the Eureka I am inclined to go there due to price (unless there is some other option that’s a major jump)
Honestly, given the above choices, you might as well stay with the Eureka. I don't think you'll notice radical improvement jumping to the others.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

You might want to consider a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, Great clean sound, not huge, but accurate. Basic 2 band eq, but good compression on each channel. Eve Anna probably won't like this, but I bought mine new from a dealer for $1500.00, and I've seen several on ebay for about $1000.00.
Old 21st May 2006
Jai guru deva om

The Eureka is certainly a decent unit anyhow, but you're going to have to spend a bit more to move out of its league in sound anyhow. The Eureka is also a channel strip with pretty useful EQ and compression, using with the Firebox I don't know how much a preamp step up alone is going to net you.

I would just stick with what you have, my $0.02 anyhow.

War
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
The Eureka is certainly a decent unit anyhow, but you're going to have to spend a bit more to move out of its league in sound anyhow. The Eureka is also a channel strip with pretty useful EQ and compression, using with the Firebox I don't know how much a preamp step up alone is going to net you.

I would just stick with what you have, my $0.02 anyhow.

War
Warren,

From what you've tested...what is a noticable step up? I'm in the same boat as shawn.

...Don't to make a horizontal move, too expensive and frustrating.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

I'm also considering (with recent research) dumping the presonus gear and getting Apogee Mini-Me ...Seems like this might be a step up and get me the 2 quality channels I need.

I am really just looking to be able to capture 2 higher quality mic channels rather than the 1 pretty good quality channel I have now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search