The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would you recommend the AT4040 for Rapper/Singer?
Old 27th March 2012

Would you recommend the AT4040 for Rapper/Singer?

I want to set up a very basic studio in my room, nothing extreme, just good enough to create listenable quality music for my mix tape. It will be used for hip hop and r&b.

I'm probably going to use the Focusrite SAFFIRE 6 USB audio interface. I'll be producing, singing and rapping and will be using Reason to record.

So, would you recommend the AT4040 for recording? Like I said, this is just for my first hip hop mixtape, it doesn't need to be album quality. And also, would you recommend a better preamp or is that ok?

Sorry if my post seems clueless, I'm still new to all of this.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

AT4040 is a favorite of mine. You WILL have album quality.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Nice mics, cheap too.
Old 27th March 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

IMHO it's a very nice vocal mic, but the MXL 2003a (or CR24), sounds quite similar for less $$.

Chris
Old 27th March 2012

thx for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
IMHO it's a very nice vocal mic, but the MXL 2003a (or CR24), sounds quite similar for less $$.

Chris
I've read a few bad things about MXL's which is why i was skeptical, but the CR-24 seems quite impressive from what I'm reading/hearing. Just wondering will it be suitable for rap and r&b singing.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

AT4040 is a good mic, try it before you buy it for vocals though. It doesn't work for everyone, probably not my first choice for rap vocals. On a tight budget look into the SM 57/58 and some other dynamics. If you have a powerful voice you might get better results from one of those. Maybe a budget ribbon like Nady RSM 8 (uses phantom power, stronger signal than some of the budget "passives").
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

The 4040 is a great mic and as long as the artist has good mic technique it should be a fine pairing.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search