The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME ADI-8 QS
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

RME ADI-8 QS

This product seems interesting, especially since the price will be under €2000... It easily beats the Fireface 800...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...-ADI-8-QS.html
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Still need AES/EBU card which adds to the price.
Old 22nd May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

it won't beat Metric Halo 2882 though
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elak
Still need AES/EBU card which adds to the price.
I believe it comes standard via D-Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM

Have you listened to them?
Old 22nd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
This product seems interesting, especially since the price will be under €2000... It easily beats the Fireface 800...
But you'd still need a firewire or PCI interface to get your audio into the computer. It's not an "interface", it's a "converter".
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
But isn't the FF 800 built on ADI converters too?

/Matt
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM

I think it will lick it clean
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
I think it will lick it clean

I'd be surprised if it didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
While the 2882 isn't shabby at all, you really have to stop thinking it is the be-all-to-end-all MDM... There have been a lot of great products produced since the 2882's debut 6 years ago!

If it works for you that is all that matters... Just try and keep the misleading and unqualified comments to a minimum please... that doesn't mean you can't tell people you are happy with your gear...

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirren
But isn't the FF 800 built on ADI converters too?

/Matt

The FF800 & ADI both use AKM chips if that is what you mean... As does EMU cards, some MOTU products, Digi 192, Metric Halo and probably quite a few more... That doesn't mean they all sound the same though, far from it. PSU, clock, analog filtering, grounding scheme, etc will affect the sound significantly.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

you will need to spend another 700-800 on a AES/EBU card or 200+ on ADAT which is useless to use it . no FiWi !!. ADAT days are numbered and I hope RME and others drop it soon.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Who thought the 2882 was better than the fireface again? Certainly not me, that 2882 had sooooooo little headroom on the A/D it was unuseable, followed by a cloudy sound that definitely didn't touch the tone of the Fireface. This will probably be a great product.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

i'm particularly interested in the limiters... have compromised a lot of headroom during live recordings just to play it safe.

can anybody tell me why there are analog and digital limiters? whats the point of limiting after the signal is converted to digital? (i'm under the impression that limiting during conversion is used only to prevent clipping the a/d converter.) I'm aware that the lavry converters also feature this capability.

thanks,

jai shankar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search