The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Plug-In Compressor??
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
So it's been established that the Sonalksis Compressor is very good; how about the Sonalksis EQ?? The bundle of the compressor/eq is $400 USD; the comp and eq alone are $240 USD each. So I would save $40 if I bought the bundle vs the individual products.

But is the EQ on par with other "great" EQ plug-ins or is it just mediocre, IYHO??

Thanks,

J.D.
you would save $80 correct??

yes the Sonalksis stuff is on par imo.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy
you would save $80 correct??

yes the Sonalksis stuff is on par imo.

Duh, you're correct -- I would save $80. Math is obviously not my strong suit today.

Thanks for your input on the EQ.

J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Duh, you're correct -- I would save $80. Math is obviously not my strong suit today.

Thanks for your input on the EQ.

J.D.
I just didn't want you to get ripped off
Old 22nd May 2006

yes the sonalksis eq is great, very usable in a wide array of situations. If I was getting one decent plugin eq I'd get the sonalksis, same goes for their compressor, they are both very flexible.

I also own the URS eq's and UAD comps for comparison, they are great but have a definite "sound" to them.

narco
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

PSP Mastercomp.
You need a very fast computer though!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I hate to say it, but I have been really liking Smack.

Also the 1970 from URS is great on individual tracks.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

McDSP yes, but Channel G. Very very solid.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
yes the sonalksis eq is great, very usable in a wide array of situations. If I was getting one decent plugin eq I'd get the sonalksis, same goes for their compressor, they are both very flexible.

I also own the URS eq's and UAD comps for comparison, they are great but have a definite "sound" to them.

narco

I just downloaded the 30-day trial of the Sonalksis eq & comp. The first thing I noticed when using the compressor was that it is a very "musical" compressor; it operates quite transparently. I was very impressed with its ability to perform serious compression tasks while retaining a very "clean" feel and without inducing many audible compression artifacts. This is in contrast to the other compressor I am demoing, the PSP VintageWarmer, which sounds great too but is much "dirtier"; I can definitely hear the compression and its artifacts clearly. It does have a definite "sound" to it -- a good one, but a "sound" nonetheless.

I haven't used the Sonalksis EQ much yet but so far thumbs up for that one.

After I demo the URS classic compressors and the McDSP compressors I will make a choice -- there are many reasons and many occasions where I do want a compressor to sound like an effect, but so far in my experiments the Sonalksis seems like the best bet for an everyday compressor. It is so clean and nice!!

Thanks for all the input,

J.D.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

TL Aggro

TL Aggro from my limited use sounded really good.

Did not mess with the source and you can go from transparent to colored.
Old 22nd May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

hey man

for the applications u want to use it and for the monet, the Sonalksis bundle will serve you well...

check the demo .. also, it works very handy - very user friendly and overseeable, which is also important

i'd always get Sonalksis and maybe later PSP for some extra fx

Sonalksis also sounds warm and thick
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
i'd always get Sonalksis and maybe later PSP for some extra fx
I think this is just what I will do... I am demoing the Chandler and it's mighty nice... I think #1: Sonalksis, #2: Chandler/URS (tie), #3: PSP VW

Of course I haven't tried the Sony Oxford plugins yet but I will soon enough.....

Oh, and PS: I have been very impressed with the customer service I have received while demoing the Sonalksis bundle. I had an installation problem and the support staff was very helpful, courteous, and best of all, prompt. I will look forward to giving them my money!

J.D.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search