The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AT4060 Tube Mic or Soundelux U195?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT4060 Tube Mic or Soundelux U195?

I realize that these are two completely different microphones, but I would like to hear input from owners of these mics. I have heard great things about the 4060, but have never been able to demo one. I have used the U195 and was generally impressed when using it on kick drum and for my vocals. However many people have commented on the U195 saying it has a sibilance-enhancing problem. I didn't notice this when using it on my voice because I am not a very sibilant singer.

These mics are each about $1100 USD, and I would like to get one or the other. My primary microphones up until now have been an AT4047/SV, a C414B-XLII, and a B.L.U.E. Blueberry. I would like to know which of the two mics listed above would be the best compliment to my existing mics. The applications it will be used for is mainly limited to vocals. I don't own a tube mic but have had the oppurtunity to use a U99 (which I LOVED) and have some experience using an M147.

Any advice or experience with these mics on vocal applications is greatly appreciated.

My primary preamp is a GR, but I sometimes use a VoxBox that belongs to a friend (if this helps).

Thanks in advance,

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I used to have a Soundelux U95(hated to part with it), and I have a AT4060 (and 4047) now. The 4060 doesn't sound like the 4047 at all so you can go by that as a reference although, they are both high quality. The 4060 has a flat top end and a fat extended low end. It can make a little voice sound much bigger. I found that I have to be careful how close the singer is to the mic. It for sure has a sweet spot. I've used it to mic just about every kind of instrument and it's always performed well. The Soundelux I had was very open in a vintage kind of way. Often I didn't have to EQ a thing. The U95 was more than 2x the price of the AT though.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I own a 4060 (and a 4047 also). I have found the 4060 to be a bit bright on some male vocalists (which is why I tried/bought the 4047). I just finished a project and we tried the 4060, RODE K2, and the 4047 and found the 4047 to sound best on his voice.

That's the real trick. Try a few mics on each vocalist and 1 will sound better! It might not be the best mic choice (if you don't have every mic ever made) but 1 will sound better. It's kinda like the saying "Vanilla icecream tastes the best if you've never tried chocolate or strawberry".

I'm also looking into the U195. Good price and seems to be a good "general use" mic.
Old 20th May 2006
While I've never tried the u195, I own a 4060 and ME-1NV. Prior to this I was using the 4033 into the fireface pres.

I find that the 4060 paired with the great river has a nice big sound, a tad on the dark side, but in a good way. It blew away my old combo, which was grainy and harsh by comparison. I also use the 4060 with a Phoenix Audio DRS-1, this sounds great and stands out in a big rock mix wonderfully. The 4060 works really well has a mono drum over head or FOK, as well. It is very smooth and warm.

Also, check ebay because I got mine for $750.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

You could also think about spending a bit more for a tube mic.
Maybe a Pearlman or Charter Oak? That would put you in the $1500 range and would really be another step up.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword in Hand
While I've never tried the u195, I own a 4060 and ME-1NV
I find that the 4060 paired with the great river has a nice big sound, a tad on the dark side, but in a good way.
I also use the 4060 with a Phoenix Audio DRS-1, this sounds great and stands out in a big rock mix wonderfully. The 4060 works really well has a mono drum over head or FOK, as well. It is very smooth and warm.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Since I have a GR pre as well, it's good to know about how it pairs with a 4060. My problem is that I have heard many people praise the GR with a U195, so that makes my decision harder. I know that realistically I won't be wasting money either way; they are both good mics.

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
Maybe a Pearlman or Charter Oak? That would put you in the $1500 range and would really be another step up.
Yes I am considering perhaps a Lawson L47MP MKII. I have used this and it sounds great on my voice. I don't have any experience with the Pearlmans and Charter Oaks. All I know about them is what I have read here on GearSlutz, mostly high praises...
My singing style is very dynamic and I am good at "compressing myself"; I have a 3-octave range and so I need a mic that is not too bright but then not really "dark"... For example, the Soundelux e47C sounds great on my voice, but I cannot afford it (yet)...

I have read that the Charter Oaks are "dark"... is this true IYE??

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs
I own a 4060 (and a 4047 also). I have found the 4060 to be a bit bright on some male vocalists (which is why I tried/bought the 4047). I just finished a project and we tried the 4060, RODE K2, and the 4047 and found the 4047 to sound best on his voice.
Yes, I use the 4047 regularly. I like it, but IME it is also a "bright" mic; maybe sometimes a little too bright for my tastes. So the 4060 is brighter than the 4047??
Hmmmmm.........

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Yes, I use the 4047 regularly. I like it, but IME it is also a "bright" mic; maybe sometimes a little too bright for my tastes. So the 4060 is brighter than the 4047??
Hmmmmm.........

J.D.
ymmv but man i don't think the 4060 is bright at all. I'd even say it's leaning more on the darker side of things, but it's not dark dark if you know what i mean. it's a pretty unhyping mic. I've got a brauner phantom c and it's much more interesting sounding, but at the same time, it can bring out the suckiness of a particular voice. the 4060 on the other hand doesn't do that. it's really even other than it's big low end.

on the 4060, it's all about mic placement because at the right proximity it's a killer vocal mic, but too close and it's mud. too far and it sounds, well too far.

ok i'm not making any since now
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I havent used the Soundelux U195.... so sorry - no info there....

BUT - What compressor do you have?

My AT 4060 thru my Distressor is AWESOME on many a singer. Keep that in mind.... that I'd MUCH rather have my setup than a more spendy mic and no Distressor.

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
BUT - What compressor do you have?
I just happen to have an EL-8X (with British Mod)... and my best friend has a TRAKKER and a Drawmer 1968 so I kinda have those too...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
My AT 4060 thru my Distressor is AWESOME on many a singer. Keep that in mind.... that I'd MUCH rather have my setup than a more spendy mic and no Distressor.
That's really cool to hear. I will have a tough decision between these two mics. I will probably own both by the end of the summer because who needs to eat anyway??

thumbsup thumbsup

J.D.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
I will probably own both by the end of the summer because who needs to eat anyway??
ha thats exactly what i did with my decision between 4060 and brauner phantom c.
i bought the 4060 and then turned right around and bought the phantom c.

you guys are a bad influence on me lol
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Guru

The 4047 is the best deal going. It is as good as others many times the price.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmmmm.........
I just said I found it too bright on some male vocalists...just my experience...YMMV, of course.
Old 21st May 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
A 4060 IS a tube mic. And just because it has a tube doesn't make it better. Having said that, the 4060 is kick-ass.

I wouldn't describe it as bright, but more of a super clear character.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

i use the 4060 with api 512c. and daking compressor. fantastic
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

4060 vs u195

I have both mics and have found that I rarely use the u195 for vocals but I've used it for almost everything else(acoustic intruments,guitars amps, front of kick for drums,sax, harmonica, accordian, fiddle) primarily through a GR MP 2nv. The 4060 get used almost exclusively for vocals with only occasional use on acoustic instruments and I usually run it through a Buzz MA 2.2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search