The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mesa boogie 4x12 oversize cab!
Old 20th May 2006
Here for the gear

Mesa boogie 4x12 oversize cab!

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to tthe pro guitar gear side of things, but was looking for a 4x12 and was looking at a new mesa oversize rectifier cab which I think contains 4 Vintage 30's. Just wondered what your thoughts were on pairing this up with a mesa triaxis and a simulclass 2:90? I want something pretty versatile, mostly for rock'n'roll, but that could potentially do some metal and also some laid back chilled out stuff. Some people have reviewed getting farting noises at high volume and that there's no midrange with this cabinet. Also wondering if Angled or straight would be better? If someone could explain? Would be great to hear your thoughts about this cab. Thanks guys.

Nico.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hey Nico,

I've played hard rock and metal all my life and have always been a big, mesa advocate. I have the tri/axis two/ninety set up as well. when turned up all the way with two, 4x12's it can be down right frightening! I haven't heard any difference (that I can tell) between the slanted and full cabs. (other than the full cab is better for sitting things on) the 4x12's are awesome cabs! very deep and moving. almost growling! with heavy distortion and down tuning. but! I heard one of the 2x12 "full back" recto cabs and felt it had a, "tighter" growl (if that makes any sense) so I ended up getting 2, 2x12 recto cabs. and sold one of my 4x12's. much easier to move I must say. I also incorporated a TC G force & a podxt pro as well. All I can say is, "wow, what can't I do now"? talk about the most insane tones and attitude. a very sanitary rig indeed. well, that's my rant! definitely check out the 2x12 cabs. I'm pretty sure you wont be disappointed. Klauth.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I owned two recto cabs and a couple of vintage Marshall cabs as well. I liked the sound of the Marshall cabs, even with the mesa head. I thought the voicing of the recto cab was not as punchy as the Marshall. Or at least punchy in the midrange kinda way I wanted it to be. But I wasn't dialing in super overdriven chuggy scooped tones, I was going more for vintage seventies distortion, and for that I think the Marshall beat the pants off of the recto cab.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I own a Marshall Jcm 800 cab (mid 80's) and a recto cab (1994) with cel 30's

I think both have a unique sound.

Mesa is a bit darker, with more low end and tighter.

JCM cuts a little more...

Best bet is to bring your rig down and plug into the recto cab..

best of luck
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi,

IMO Mesa's Road King 4x12 is the bomb for recording studio use. 2 x C90s and 2 x V30s, stereo or mono. It's a big cab and it sounds big. I use a Solo 50 Recto head with it a lot and sometimes a Laney LC15R, and and you'd never believe the wide range of tones I can get. Fendery cleans to thick blues to Marshall grind to Wall 'o Recto.

The rig you listed in your first post definitely would not suck either.

M
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I own a triaxis/ 20:20 rig. Been loving it for live performance for years now. Put some JJ tubes in it from Eurotubes.com . Triaxis is a very versitle unit.

I love the Mesa 4x12. Beats the living pants off any Marshall cab any day imho. The marshall always felt too scooped and slushy for me. I like the tightness and smooth mids on the mesa. Not to mention the mesa is built like a freaking tank and weighs more than a couple of fat chicks standing in an elevator. Nearly indestructable. My Marshall cab hasn't faired so well over the years. I think they is rather cheaply made. Go to banjo center, plug in, rock out and decide what you like.

YMMV
Old 21st May 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the info guys, I just looked at the 2x12's, which I would totally go for at your suggestion, but they are a fair bit pricier in Australia than the 4x12 cabs!

Does anyone have any information about the farting noises at high volumes, or that the cab might be terrible without the mids??

Thanks again for all your reply's!

Nico.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I played both the oversized and standard cabs. They sound different. I brought a standard cab for me not as scooped.
Yeah prices in OZ hey.. Might want to try Engl and Orange as well although I personally liked the standard cab better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search