The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst Plug-ins on the market
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I think if you look past some of these plug ins as mixdown tools, and think about the uses of them in production, you'll find that some of them really shine.

For example, some one mentioned the modualtion plug ins from Waves, and Bomb Factory mooger fooger/voce etc etc. These plug ins are great for creating certain sounds in production, but would rarely get used during a mixdown.

Also depends on what music you write. I think a lot of them would suck compared to hardware on your traditonal band records, but for a lot of other styles of music they probably shine.

My 2 (AU) cents.
Old 21st May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi
I think if you look past some of these plug ins as mixdown tools, and think about the uses of them in production, you'll find that some of them really shine.

For example, some one mentioned the modualtion plug ins from Waves, and Bomb Factory mooger fooger/voce etc etc. These plug ins are great for creating certain sounds in production, but would rarely get used during a mixdown.

Also depends on what music you write. I think a lot of them would suck compared to hardware on your traditonal band records, but for a lot of other styles of music they probably shine.

My 2 (AU) cents.

I always thought that Waves made GREAT modulation plugs ---> Who else has a DOPPLER EFFECT plugin ???? Awesome for atmpsoheric / elctronic/movie music !!!
Great flanger too and mondo-mod and that weird thing how is it called again, well kinda wah ffect is also usable for some weird stuff ...
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSVice
Izotope Ozone is the absolute worst. T-Racks may not be great, but it leaves Ozone in the dust. (I don't use either, BTW)
That is so not true, my friend

ruudman
Old 21st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
I thought Shania Twain WAS a plug-in. You mean it's a real person?
Hah! Best post of the day!!!
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
That is so not true, my friend

ruudman
I remember people over at the Sonar forums a couple years ago raving about Ozone, so I tried it briefly. It has a nice feature set. But none of the features are pleasing sonically. It's just a program that tries to do too much. The reverb feature should never have been included.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not saying it's the best out there, but better than T-Racks IMO. I'm ignoring what it pretends to be.

I prefer the Ozone dither to IDR, PoWr and UV22.

ruudman
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
Hehe, I remember Andy Sneap telling he uses this on drums... still poop?

Crazy, but I use D-Verb all the time. Sometimes it just does the right thing.

Also, don't forget about Digi's Dynamics II (the old compressor) because sometimes it's the right thing, too, despite being such a warhorse.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Crazy, but I use D-Verb all the time. Sometimes it just does the right thing.

Also, don't forget about Digi's Dynamics II (the old compressor) because sometimes it's the right thing, too, despite being such a warhorse.
Absolutely.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
HA ha
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I'm not saying it's the best out there, but better than T-Racks IMO. I'm ignoring what it pretends to be.

I prefer the Ozone dither to IDR, PoWr and UV22.

ruudman

i agree, ozone has far better specs than t-racks. you can get free stuff for vst, that does the same as t-racks or better.

the dither in ozone is great, the limiter also for modern music and modern levels. the eq has more modes than t-racks and is way more powerful. the multiband too.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

While its probably pretty silly to make fun of freeware plugs, the old Blue Line VST package was horendous!!!!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm going to go out on a limb here and kvetch. I say Auto-Tune is the worst plug-in because it encourages laziness and if you listen, even if it is used lightly, you can definitely hear it working. And it sounds unnatural IMO. Whatever happened to staying in the studio for a little while longer and just hitting the note you mean to hit? I mean geez, even "the greatest singer in the world" "Celine Dion" uses it live in Vegas.... if Celine can't be bothered to sing in tune then I guess who can?

I read an article where Neko Case mentioned that she had visited a studio in Canada to record her latest album and was told by the engineer that of all the gold and platinum-selling artists that had recorded there, every single one used Auto-Tune.

Anyway this is just my little pet peeve of the moment, no offense to the 10 million Auto-Singers out there!
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

I use autotune extensively, but I'm not lazy about it. I don't let it do the work...I only use the graphical setting and then I make sure it can't be heard. I look at what was sung, and make adjustments as needed. It takes serious time (about an hour per song), but it's really worth it. It really helps the voices click in the track.

Whether we like it or not, everyone does use it at some point. As engineers it makes us more valuable. heh
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Worst - Antares AVOX. Terrible, IMO.

Bad - most all that comes with Cubase, particularly the EQ. The Digirack stuff that predates version III.

I don't like - Waves TruVerb, although I love most the Waves stuff.
YES, just got that demo of that.
what a great way to add anoying overtones, and digital sounding distortion to your voice. but, If i were mixing a horror movie and needed a good devil voice, I know who i would call
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Worst - Antares AVOX. Terrible, IMO.

Bad - most all that comes with Cubase, particularly the EQ. The Digirack stuff that predates version III.

I don't like - Waves TruVerb, although I love most the Waves stuff.
YES, just got that demo of that.
what a great way to add anoying overtones, and digital sounding distortion to your voice. but, If i were mixing a horror movie and needed a good devil voice, I know who i would call
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

hmmm... plugins that suck?.. well.. theres alot of free plugins that suck (and some which are actualy quite good..) but I figure I'll do the plugins as a price to suckness ratio :p..

Waves: c1, doubler, Ren Eq, L3, Ultrapitch, Audio track, Stereo maker, True Verb.. probably others..

Antares mic simulator thing.. and Avox

Tracks, R-verb

Nomad factory in general (I tried to like these.. I got told by a pretty good mixer that they were some of the best plugins out there.. though they seem to have all been updated since I used them.)

Theres probably heaps of others.. of course.. almost any plugin can be used as an effect or for purposely crappy sounds.. but yeah.. these are the plugins that arent gonna be worth the money
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought Shania Twain WAS a plug-in.
She is. I'm sure Mutt plugs into her regularly.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah the simple 2 knob/3 input interface isnt too bad though........
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I dislike the worst plugs i know:

Waves - I have just found the L1 as a useful tool, but not a real good one! Searching for an alternative!

To me the URS and the Izotope PlugIns are great! I like them a lot na duse tham a lot! Oh thanks for the nice shirt to IZoptope by the way! Hopefully will get the opurtunity to work with McDSP, Tritone Digital, Sonalksis and Sony stuff. Some of them have tom release AudioUnit and VSTs first! har har har

Best regards,

Andreas
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Knee Mal
Yeah the simple 2 knob/3 input interface isnt too bad though........
LMFAO!
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm
i agree, ozone has far better specs than t-racks. you can get free stuff for vst, that does the same as t-racks or better.

the dither in ozone is great, the limiter also for modern music and modern levels. the eq has more modes than t-racks and is way more powerful. the multiband too.
Perhaps it does have great dither. I didn't use it long enough to compare that feature to anything else. But, there's nothing it does as far as dynamics or EQ that the Waves plugs don't do better.
As far as Ozone having better specs, I'm not sure what that means, or rather, I suppose I don't feel that necessarily translates to "better sounding." Again, I'm not a big T-Racks fan either. I can get much better results chaining good plugs together in Sound Forge. I just found it intuitive and much easier to get results from.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm

Perhaps it does have great dither. I didn't use it long enough to compare that feature to anything else. But, there's nothing it does as far as dynamics or EQ that the Waves plugs don't do better.
As far as Ozone having better specs, I'm not sure what that means, or rather, I suppose I don't feel that necessarily translates to "better sounding." Again, I'm not a big T-Racks fan either. I can get much better results chaining good plugs together in Sound Forge. I just found it intuitive and much easier to get results from.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

This is all silly. Even the so called worst tools are still tools and useful for something. I can't think of any plug in or piece of gear in this entire field that I haven't found adequate for doing some job at one point or the other. Even the standard apple computer microphone is the perfect mic sometimes. Sucking in a new and cool way has it's uses.
Old 26th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer
This is all silly. Even the so called worst tools are still tools and useful for something. I can't think of any plug in or piece of gear in this entire field that I haven't found adequate for doing some job at one point or the other. Even the standard apple computer microphone is the perfect mic sometimes. Sucking in a new and cool way has it's uses.
you're damn right bro -- it's nonsense -- it's just spitting for the fun of it, it's actually not funny really -- we're waisting time here...
but the Shania Twain-joke is funny though !
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Man oh man.

If you don't like plug-ins, then just don't post in something like this. It really isn't the place. I really understand the value of actual, electrically live signal flowing through the real gear and I'm sure most everyone here does as well. The fact is most people here use tools that work for them.

The bottom line is: It's all F**king relative! Some people here make tunes for themselves and remix **** for parties or raves and some people record the finest of string sections on a daily basis. Some posts here clearly are targeted to their intended audience.

And, I have to say that in the world of modern rock, I know of a zillion releases that have used plugs tastefully and wholly acceptable to their audience.

I think the original posters intent was to get some valuable (to some!) insight into things to not bother with. People posting anti-plug rhetoric is as tired as any rhetoric gets.

We get it. You don't like plugs. Move on.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSVice
As far as Ozone having better specs, I'm not sure what that means, or rather, I suppose I don't feel that necessarily translates to "better sounding."
The philosophy behind Ozone is that you can only maintain 64bit precision between processes if they remain within the plugin. This explains the inclusion of reverb (which is someimes usefull in mastering).

If you have a plugin that processes at 64bits it has to go back to the hosts resolution before it can be passed onto the next plugin.

So, the idea with Ozone was to put all the processes that you might need to master a track within one plugin.

I may be a bit off on some of the technical details, but that's the gist of it.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Worst - MicModeler...ouch

Best - (For the Price) any PSP stuff, they all rock, especially VintageWarmer

Best - (just the best) Waves IR1 ConReverb...
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

I can't get anything useable out of shania twain.

Um, yeah, antares. AVOX, I believe it is called? Someone was asking me, just this morning, about AVOX , and I literally threw a chair at a wall, then he asked me why I threw the chair at the wall, and I stated "That's 1/10th of how you feel if you get suckered into buying that crap". Man, when I was demo-ing those plugins, I couldn't help myself from falling over myself in laughter.

I'm not big on Antares Filter, either. Sounds super cheesy.

Ohm Force, while kind of cool, don't really have that sonic quality you would look for.

Any Digi RTAS plugin, and any Bomb Factory Plugin. Period. Yuck.

I'll take that back. There was a trio of free Bomb Factory modulation plugs.
I use one of them every so often.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

Oh, and yes, anything labeled "Mic Modeling" gets no attention.
I'm gonna make a radio shack mic sound like a Schoeps?
Really? Does it modulate the soundwaves/frequencies that the the transducer
didn't pick up? Seriously.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nomad Factory Stuff
tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt tutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search