The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst Plug-ins on the market Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 20th May 2006
  #31
Gear Addict
 
phelbin's Avatar
 

Cosmonaut Voice is the coolest looking and the most useless plugin. Digidesign includes it in all their pluging bundle upgrades...as if they're giving you something for your added money. Seriously...I'll pull it up every so often because I like looking at it. But what am I supposed to do with it...honestly! tutt

I just got the Waves SSL bundle and I think it sounds great! It was definitely worth the money.
Old 20th May 2006
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
cheeky b's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Logic Pro's internal Compressors and Eq's - boy, do they suck ! - they sound like crap, really - I can't believe some people say they sound great - they suck like sh...t

Furthermore : All Dynamics plugins from TC electonics suck BIGTIME - Ueber-sucking is their LOUSY LOUSY emulation of the 1176LN -- Jeeeeeezzzzz this things is total sheisse - Great design, Danish, so looking great, but sounding CRAP - Booooo !
I've never met anyone or read anyone say that Logic's compressor and EQ are great. But there are those that say, and I'm one of them, that they do the job when needed - they don't sound like boutique analog pieces but used intelligently they're fine.

As for the TC electonics plugs, I don't hate the 24.7 it's ok, it's a bit flaky to set up and distorts like a bastard when abused, but so does my 1176. I don't use the vintage CL but I get a lot of use from the Voicestrip - again it does what a compressor is supposed to, control level. We're not all looking for analog sounding plugs.
Old 20th May 2006
  #33
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
Reverb A, and especially Reverb B in Cubase SX! My Gawd, do the suck. The built in multiband compressor in same program, does not sound any good either. Brrr

Hopefully, the algorithms for the integrated effects will be completely rewritten for SX 4. I think the built in effects in Logic sounds way better.
Old 20th May 2006
  #34
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

I'd have to say, to me, the number one most useless plugin I've ever
dealt with is the Bomb Factory 1176. I've never managed to make that
do anything musical.


2.) The Waves eq's are really horrible.
3.) Waves Trueverb, and all their modulation based stuff I find completely
useless.
4.) Maxim
5.) Analog Channel. I just don't get it. Everything just gets mushy.

That said, I've owned the PSP Vintage Warmer for a long time now, and I
keep finding new and inspiring uses for it.
Old 20th May 2006
  #35
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare
2.) The Waves eq's are really horrible.
3.) Waves Trueverb, and all their modulation based stuff I find completely
useless.
4.) Maxim
5.) Analog Channel. I just don't get it. Everything just gets mushy.
3/4 - agreed- although I use Enigma and Monodo mod from time to time.
5) - Can I respectfully offer that you are overusing it?
AC gets a big thumbs up here

For me Waves Super Tap has a dreadful interface- especially compared to Echoboy, which is the greatest delay plugin available, imho.
The Bomb Factory mooger fooger plugins- I have owned them for ages- don't think I have ever used them on a final track.
Old 20th May 2006
  #36
Gear Nut
 

ones I Like:

Sony Oxford, URS (A, N), McDSP (filterbank, compbank), Waves rencomp/trans-x, Hydratone, Cranesong Phoenix (awesome), Altiverb (lexi 480 responses really useful dialed in right - fat plate etc), Bombfactory fairchild 660 (yes! works for me on vocals sometimes), BF vocespin/telray delay, channelstrip is REALLY useful for the presets as starting off points.......

ones that I don't:
AVOX (what tha fcuk??), BF 1176 (and most of the others not mentioned above), T-Racks (just add mush and noise), Nomad factory.......
Old 20th May 2006
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Just a thought on the Waves TruVerb ... the reverb itself is ... well ... awful ..

BUT ... the early - refection part ... which can be used just by it self ...

kind of rules ... try it on ... acoustic guitar ... percussion ... conga's etc. ......

anything with short sharp transients ...

seriously .... try it ... supa
Old 20th May 2006
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
Cosmonaut Voice is the coolest looking and the most useless plugin. Digidesign includes it in all their pluging bundle upgrades...as if they're giving you something for your added money.
Shhh (whispering): A new 'massive' is on its way from digi...
Highlights:
*Cosmonaut Voice LE
*Funk Logic Virtual Rack (new!)
*Waves Q-1

ruudman
Old 20th May 2006
  #39
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Best plugs (IMO):

Waves SSL
UAD plugs
Sony Oxford
Massenburg EQ
Cranesong Phoenix
URS EQ
Line 6 Echo Farm
Old 20th May 2006
  #40
Lives for gear
 
John The Cut's Avatar
 

This is stupid. It totally depends what you're using the plug-in for.

For example, I wouldnt use Cubase's Reverb A as a main vocal reverb.. because it sucks for that! But as nasty spot effect reverb that doesnt tax the whole mix or cause my computer to give up and go and make a cup of tea.. it's great!

Same with built in channel EQs. I wouldnt insert a Pultec Pro for the shaker, but for a broad boost somewhere up top, Channel EQ does that job.

Of course, some plug-ins suck under any circumstances. ie Antares AVOX.

but again.. have you tried it as a weird doubler for guitar parts? sounds quite cool
Old 20th May 2006
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Jeff16years's Avatar
 

digidesign D-Verb


poop
Old 20th May 2006
  #42
Lives for gear
 

i hated anything by antares and nomad factory.


as far as ****ty companies, its gotta be waves and native instruments. i will never buy anything from either of them again.
Old 20th May 2006
  #43
Here for the gear
 

bitheadz sucked

the worst plugin of all time was unity sessions 3.0 virtual instrument !!!!

retro as1 and unity ds1 were great under mac os 9.2.1 but as soon as they combined them and ported them to osx they never worked again . But don't worry Bitheadz went out of business because of it.
Old 20th May 2006
  #44
MDM
Gear Addict
 
MDM's Avatar
Of course, anything can be used - In creativity, there's no limits

Someone said something like "you're a dumbass if you cannot mix with bad plugins..." that sort of messages..

Those messages are not very charming in a thread like this ... Probably the guy is right, but, it 's slightly hostile to say that .. Isn't it fun to just whack and smack on all the lousy plugs and still use them maybe sometimes ... or not .. ?

AVOX -- To HELL you Go Antares shame on you !!!

Waves blah blahl



Ooooooooiiiiijjj !!! Do you see what I see on the I'net ???

http://www.uaudio.com/products/digit...pak/index.html


Now we can stop complaining -

For the PT users, what are you actually complainging other than the f.....n price yo have to pay .. and for the Native users :

Yahoo ! Get Powercore PCIexpress with Sony Oxford and MD3 and on of their reverbs
and then the UAD1 express on top of that and then you'll have some really hot plugz !
(without the SUCKING waves support were you have to pay 100 bucks a month otherwise you wont get the upgrades etc)
Old 20th May 2006
  #45
Lives for gear
 
blackcom's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
digidesign D-Verb


poop

Hehe, I remember Andy Sneap telling he uses this on drums... still poop?
Old 20th May 2006
  #46
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
Cosmonaut Voice is the coolest looking and the most useless plugin. Digidesign includes it in all their pluging bundle upgrades...as if they're giving you something for your added money. Seriously...I'll pull it up every so often because I like looking at it. But what am I supposed to do with it...honestly! tutt
yeah, I shoulda included Digi plugins when I said Bomb Factory. Basically, they're mostly good for padding the upgrade packages, as you say.

The new III comp and eq and the D-Fi are ok.
Old 20th May 2006
  #47
Gear Nut
The T-Racks compressor can be used as a very colorful effect for eg. bass. As a "mastering" tool T-Racks' no good. Unless you use one of the vintage presets for effect.

It's funny that a few mentions mda. Free plugs that are, what, five years old. And with some interesting, if not great sounding, plugs in the collection. I don't use them often, but sometimes a mda plug is just what the doctor ordered. I got a folder with all the Smartelectronix stuff, and sometimes I need one of their plugs. Like the DMI Hammer... go figure.

The worst plug I've encountered was without any competition the Focusrite Saffire guitar amp sim.
Old 20th May 2006
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Jeff16years's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
Hehe, I remember Andy Sneap telling he uses this on drums... still poop?
yes, still poop.
Old 20th May 2006
  #49
Gear Addict
 
Psyko/Acoustics's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
yes, still poop.
Chuck Dye uses it on MILAR because of the poopy sound!
Old 20th May 2006
  #50
Gear Addict
 
dhughes's Avatar
 

I've found uses, at one time or another, for pretty much every pluggin mentioned here. Some have very limited applications but....can be used.

Just don't stick 'em in yer master bus.
Old 20th May 2006
  #51
Lives for gear
 
allstar's Avatar
 

I actually love the Bombfactory Moogerfooger bundle.

The autowah is great.

The delays is pretty cool too, not a match for Echoboy though.
Old 20th May 2006
  #52
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 

Quote:
what if there was a topic called "worst plug-in users on the market" and people could post and be like "I'm a dumbass and can't make things sound good with plugins"

then maybe they could say "neve" or "tubes" a few times

lol - classic!!!! - You win £5.00!!


who said MDA?... fool, you never tried their speaker sim on drum loops then, oh wait, thats because you're too busy recording some farty old cowboy group twanging telecasters thru Fender Twins and singing about how good the old hardware used to be!

lol
Old 20th May 2006
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Rob King's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Worst - Antares AVOX. Terrible, IMO.

Bad - most all that comes with Cubase, particularly the EQ. The Digirack stuff that predates version III.

I don't like - Waves TruVerb, although I love most the Waves stuff.


Yep, this one is horrible.

Rob
Old 21st May 2006
  #54
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko/Acoustics
Chuck Dye uses it on MILAR because of the poopy sound!
I don't know about Charles Dye or Andy Sneap, but I use it on drums sometimes just because it sounds like trash! I love that. Sometimes the last thing you want is a good sounding reverb. For everything you would want a good sounding reverb for, yeah, it's donkey doo.

I think most plugins suck on most things. Once in a while though you can get them to work on some things- cosmonaut voice is the epitome of useless most of the time but sometimes you can feed a verb or delay send with it or use it in parallel underneath a track and it works for an effect.

I think compressor and filter plugins are the worst.
Old 21st May 2006
  #55
Gear Addict
 
JSVice's Avatar
I'm telling you, if you're going to bash a "mastering" plug-in, Izotope Ozone is the absolute worst. T-Racks may not be great, but it leaves Ozone in the dust. (I don't use either, BTW)
My vote for most useless plug-in goes to Antares Kantos. It makes some cool sounds.... some cool, worthless sounds.
Old 21st May 2006
  #56
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

All the talk about D-Verb... D-Verb is good for the Non Lin algorithm. Outside of that it's not even worth talking about.
Old 21st May 2006
  #57
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher
Waves Ren EQ and Compressors.

These are horrible IMHO.
If you think those suck listen to Shania Twain "Up" on all the Vocals they used R-Comp.
Old 21st May 2006
  #58
Lives for gear
 

I thought Shania Twain WAS a plug-in. You mean it's a real person?
Old 21st May 2006
  #59
Lives for gear
 
robot gigante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSVice
My vote for most useless plug-in goes to Antares Kantos. It makes some cool sounds.... some cool, worthless sounds.
Never been able to get a useable sound out of that one either! The interface is godawful too.
Old 21st May 2006
  #60
Gear Addict
 
phelbin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
Someone said something like "you're a dumbass if you cannot mix with bad plugins..." that sort of messages..
That's like saying that real mixing engineers don't need anything more than a Behringer. Of course, they can do something with it, but they'd do much better work with their quality gear...it's the same with plugins. D-verb is not good...Altiverb is much better.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Third Story / Music Computers
2
Vaphoron / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Grasshopper / So much gear, so little time
24

Forum Jump
Forum Jump