The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Two VS. RME Multiface
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Lynx Two VS. RME Multiface

Don't want to start a war or anything, just wondering if anyone has compared these two directly. I am about to purchase one of the two and would like a final opinion on converter quality.

Mind you a can get a good price break on RME so I need to know if the extra spent on the Lynx would really make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsnoise
Don't want to start a war or anything, just wondering if anyone has compared these two directly. I am about to purchase one of the two and would like a final opinion on converter quality.

Mind you a can get a good price break on RME so I need to know if the extra spent on the Lynx would really make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
I have not heard them, but from what I've read the Lynx Two beats the Multiface pretty easily...
Old 19th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsnoise

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Personally I doubt it. I has a Rosetta 200 in my studio for a week and did extensive testing to compare to my Multiface and spent the time getting lots of different people to BLIND A/B test (the only way to test IMHO).

The musical style was Pop/ Rock so take that into account - but NOBODY managed to pick the Rossetta over the RME more than 50% of the time is was half and half!

If the test had been purely acousitc instruments in a great recording room I think the Rossetta would have started to show an edge, so the real question is what kinda music do you want to record?

Trebor
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow
Personally I doubt it. I has a Rosetta 200 in my studio for a week and did extensive testing to compare to my Multiface and spent the time getting lots of different people to BLIND A/B test (the only way to test IMHO).

The musical style was Pop/ Rock so take that into account - but NOBODY managed to pick the Rossetta over the RME more than 50% of the time is was half and half!

If the test had been purely acousitc instruments in a great recording room I think the Rossetta would have started to show an edge, so the real question is what kinda music do you want to record?

Trebor
Electronic, that is why I am leaning towards a multiface. I could get a good D/A to accomapany the RME as I mostly do everything in the box with soft synths. The only thing that I record are Vox, electric bass and guitar (which I usually DI----Ahh the apartment life). I just figured the Lynx might be a solution where I wouldn't have to add anything (external converters), but if the RME is close in quality I may not have to add anything to that either.

Decisions, desicions....

Thanks for the reply.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've had both of them and to me there was a huge difference. I actually replaced my good old LynxONE with a Multiface and that was the biggest soundcard mistake of my life. My LynxTWO fixed that a little later.

Still I know lots of people who wouldn't hear any difference, but to me the Multiface sounds grittier while the LynxTWO sounds a lot more open and has better bass response aswell. And the Lynx installation, drivers and support are a lot better too. In short: Multiface is low end, LynxTWO is high end.
Old 20th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by amino
I've had both of them and to me there was a huge difference. I actually replaced my good old LynxONE with a Multiface and that was the biggest soundcard mistake of my life. My LynxTWO fixed that a little later.

Still I know lots of people who wouldn't hear any difference, but to me the Multiface sounds grittier while the LynxTWO sounds a lot more open and has better bass response aswell. And the Lynx installation, drivers and support are a lot better too. In short: Multiface is low end, LynxTWO is high end.

Mmmh, great praise for the LynxTWO indeed it must be way better than the Rossetta 200!

I was testing with my own vocal, recording with my BLUE Bottle and an Origin STT-1 which have a very clean revealing sound and in this setting there was virtually nothing between the RME and Rossetta, so I must test the LynxTWO sometime soon, sounds to good to be true!

Trebor
Old 20th July 2006
Here for the gear

Hi to everyone here!

I work with LynxTWO. Have it more than 3 years. Great card, great converters.
I worked a little with RME Multiface in my friends' studio. Great too. Of course, only valid comparision is A/B so I won't compare them.

Well, I was in doubt which one to buy. More I/O and MIDI on Multiface, you know...
My brother was in the USA and made a phone call to USA RME (directly to big guy there). After a few questions he bravely asked: Which card is better, RME Multiface or LynxTWO?

The answer was:
Listen, I work in this company and I can't tell you that LynxTWO is better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search