The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spliting cable and phantom.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Spliting cable and phantom.

If I want to record the same condenser mic with 2 pre´s ( don´t ask me why heh ) can I use a Y cable ? what happens with the phantom power ? Should I give phantom with just one pre ? What happens if I give 48v with both pre´s ? Can i fry the mic?

I want to try I few things like recording the same take with 2 different pre´s for comparing. Also it can be usefull for recording live vocals to prevent distorsion if the singer goes mad so using 2 pre´s ( the same ) but one with less gain for safety.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
If I want to record the same condenser mic with 2 pre´s ( don´t ask me why heh ) can I use a Y cable ? what happens with the phantom power ? Should I give phantom with just one pre ? What happens if I give 48v with both pre´s ? Can i fry the mic?

I want to try I few things like recording the same take with 2 different pre´s for comparing. Also it can be usefull for recording live vocals to prevent distorsion if the singer goes mad so using 2 pre´s ( the same ) but one with less gain for safety.
You can use a mic splitter. I use a rack of 1 in 2 out splitters.
Here is a cheap one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=428712

One output is direct. This is the one you feed phantom power.
The other output is transformer isolated (and will not pass phantom).

Done.

Buena Suerte,
David

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search