The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
build me an 1176!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

build me an 1176!

hey i'm looking for a couple guys that are good diy people.
I want to try one of the diy 1176 kits but, i don't want to electrocute myself in the process. i'm not that kinda guy so i wanted to know if anyone on this forum can put one together for me, and how much they'll charge for the hours. of course i'll pay for the kit.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

On DIY what you're saving is labor, the parts are a few hundred bucks for a one off...I'm sure someone could build one for you, It's just that it's going to probably cost pretty close to what a reissue costs. But then again you may find someone to do it for cheap because they like it as a hobby.
-Brian
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Out of curiosity, just how difficult is it to build these type of kits?

Obviously a hard question to answer given the variables, but I have often wondered what kind of chops you'd need to build these DIY kits? Is it the kind of thing a regular bloke could expect to do given the appropriate study, or is it something for experts only?

TB
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's pretty easy to stuff the boards, drill the metal, and wire it up if you do a little research on the web. The trick is troubleshooting. Put a cap in backwards and you could fry a few things and then it gets really tricky. All you need to really know is how to read a schematic and which way to put in the parts. Electronics 101.
I started with the ssl clone as there is a lot of help on the web and it took a full weekend to build and troubleshoot after I had sourced all the parts.
Here are the best sites to check out:
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...5d9b20d6d5370a

http://www.gyraf.dk/

cheers.
-brian
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Go to the black market section of the first link if you want to buy someones old DIY gera.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural
Go to the black market section of the first link if you want to buy someones old DIY gera.
i'll check that out
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

PM sent
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Why bother, just buy a Lindell clone
Old 24th August 2013
Village Idiot

If you check my site, there are build manuals for the projects (and instructions coming for the the new ones).

https://pcbgrinder.com

Other kit-shops offer similar guides, and there are most often a lot of people who have experience to share, so that part is usually easy enough.

For me, the case work is always the toughest part.

Gustav
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Unless you live in the boondocks, you should be able to find someone locally. E.E. students, electronics repairmen...
Old 24th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Why bother, just buy a Lindell clone
the original post was from 2006.

i'll build anyone an 1176 kit for $250 labor
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'll build anyone one that will buy me a kit too.
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'd happily build them for non-commercial one offs, but as already mentioned you then lose a lot of the cost advantage.

A careful build will take at least 8 hours intense build time (and probably an awful lot more), plus the time spent getting the parts and prep. The headline prices for these kits don't often include things like hookup wire, terminal blocks, heat shrink, solder, shipping, extra necessary tools etc etc. They can add a lot to the final price.

Skill-wise I don't think you can confidently do most of them as a very first project, you need good soldering skills and basic electronic knowledge straight away (it's a lot of money if you get it wrong). It's never a completely straightforward build, and if you break something you need to be able to follow the schematic in order to work out a way around it. Most builds start with wiring up the power section, something you definitely don't want to be doing wrong.
Old 25th August 2013
I'm sure he has figured something out in the last 7 years goof How do these threads come back from the dead like this?
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesma View Post
I'm sure he has figured something out in the last 7 years goof How do these threads come back from the dead like this?
I agree the OP has likely figured it out (or abandoned the idea). I was just throwing it out there that I would gladly build one in exchange for a kit of my own.
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear
Check out Hairball Audio DIY kits and hire some local techs to build it for you..
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesma View Post
I guess because it's a searchable internet forum?
Old 25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Jb2
Gear Nut

Thanks for the tip on revive
Old 26th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiopo View Post
I guess because it's a searchable internet forum?
Yeah well maybe it's not that hard to miss when you're searching. It's just funny when someone gets replies after this amount of time.

peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search