The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath GSR-24M
Old 30th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
Just not sure what I am gaining.
What you gain from any of the daughtercards is the ability to use it as an in-line console. My most common application is to alternate channels between live ins and daw playback during tracking/overdub. It’s also the quick and easy way to go from tracking to mixing with out having to mess around with the input again…That can be left optimised for the microphone or a line in devices. A lot of my channels are permanently connected to synths.

There’s nothing you can’t get done without it but it just makes the workflow great which is what I like about this console.

One thing that some people miss about the midi capabilities is that it’s not just about being a big DAW control surface… It’s also about summing in the analogue domain with midi automation of analogue gain rides. If you do volume automation in the daw then you are hitting the front end, and any hardware inserts, with variable input levels and that may not give you what you want for example with per track mixdown compressors or saturators.

My one wish was that it had switchable balanced inserts but hey ho,
you can’t have everything.

That’s what you’re missing without the card. Might not be a big deal for you, there is more than one road to get to the end result.

Rens
Old 30th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

^^^^^^ This

Another benefit is you get a nice simple clean interface to your converters without having to add a bunch of patch bays. The patching is all in the A-D switches. But you are correct, you can use the direct outs, line ins and a bunch of patch bays to achieve a similar result.

The midi integration is the same with any of the cards.

I originally bought my console with the FW card and upgraded to a balanced audio card shortly after A&H announced the board was being discontinued. It was an epic struggle back then to find a balanced card, and ultimately I found a dealer (who didn't carry A&H) that contacted the factory and got them to build one for me. It was well worth the effort. These are fantastic boards that are highly affordable compared to the alternatives. I highly encourage everyone to get a balanced audio card if they don't have one already.
Old 3rd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It’s been a while so I sum up to see if I have understood the last few pages.

After I’ve purchased a mixer spending a little less than 10K euros not even 8 years ago, I now have to spend 1k on a “new” analog card and 3-4K for a converter?
Because A&H is not able to update the drivers of a still-functioning FW card that records at 96/24?

Are they serious?
Or did I get something wrong?
Old 3rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nope - you totally don’t have to do that.

But in my case, I have a 2012 Mac Pro that won’t update to the latest Mac OS, and is on its last legs, A&H don’t have the resources to keep up with legacy FW updates, and another way to look at it is that you don’t have to buy a new board.

You can stay right where you are, but I’m not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

GSR 24m Analogue Card

Good news everyone, I was just contacted by the main distributor in Canada for A&H and they said that A&H will be producing a small batch of the balance analogue cards in October with expected delivery in November. If you want one place your order now as this is a one time deal.
Old 5th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I haven't heard yet if they are making the V1 or V2 analog cards - but Rich at Lunchbox Audio is helping me get it sorted out, and he's been really helpful.

Feel free to ping him if you are in the US and would like to try to get hold of one of these. [email protected]

Johnny
Old 5th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Card re-issue

The distributor sent me an email today and said that the cards will be V2.
Still not sure if I’m going to go for it.
There isn’t much there that you can’t do with a patchbay.
You could use the card as a dedicated balanced insert path for outboard gear (workflow option B) with your DAW convertor outputs running straight into the console’s line inputs.
That would be a novel feature, as the standard onboard inserts are unbalanced.
I suppose having the card may make the console easier to sell (??) But, personally, I plan on keeping mine until it stops working.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear
I no longer have one of these as my 5 or 6 board failures contributed to them stopping making them anymore I imagine but I still read this thread as it would have been great if the desk had worked reliably. Im glad it is for many people.

If you have a working one I’d really recommend getting one of these analog cards. It’s safeguarding your desk against failure, means it’ll be easier to sell should you wish to and frees you up to update your computer in future.
Old 12th September 2020
Hello, how do you all control your studio monitors in the console? Since day 1 Im controlling my monitors with presonus Central station, but after upgrading to Adam S3H Im not really liking the sound I think i will switch back to the console
So how should I connect it to get the best results?
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki222 View Post
Good news everyone, I was just contacted by the main distributor in Canada for A&H and they said that A&H will be producing a small batch of the balance analogue cards in October with expected delivery in November. If you want one place your order now as this is a one time deal.
Sounds like we placed our orders at the same distributor as the delivery date I was given is the same. Looking very forward to receiving this card as it will fully accent the way I prefer my workflow. I have a new added respect for A&H due to their decision to offer one more opportunity to obtain this card. Lord knows I wasn't the only one badgering them to do so over the last year or so.
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

A & H Forum.

To All GSR24m & and non M users

You do know that there is now a direct link to A & H Forum?

https://community.allen-heath.com/fo...t-of-the-forum

I still have one of these.
And I will definitely get a Analogue interface board through the dealer here!
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It's totally awesome - I am jazzed to get this card. It's amazing that A&H are doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tape View Post
Sounds like we placed our orders at the same distributor as the delivery date I was given is the same. Looking very forward to receiving this card as it will fully accent the way I prefer my workflow. I have a new added respect for A&H due to their decision to offer one more opportunity to obtain this card. Lord knows I wasn't the only one badgering them to do so over the last year or so.
Old 28th September 2020
Hey everyone
I’ve been using the firewire card for the last 6 years, its all good but it sucks when it comes to low buffer size while recording with autotune live and using wave plugins
Thinking about buying the analoge card with a good quality converters
What would recommend? And do I need 32 x 32 converters ? Excuse my ignorance but I don’t know how this works
I don’t use the preamps a lot in the console since I have decent preamps
Does the converters have anything to do with the Daw monitoring ? If i get a 16 x 16 ad da does it change anything? I use Sonar platinum
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Hey everyone
I’ve been using the firewire card for the last 6 years, its all good but it sucks when it comes to low buffer size while recording with autotune live and using wave plugins
Thinking about buying the analoge card with a good quality converters
What would recommend? And do I need 32 x 32 converters ? Excuse my ignorance but I don’t know how this works
I don’t use the preamps a lot in the console since I have decent preamps
Does the converters have anything to do with the Daw monitoring ? If i get a 16 x 16 ad da does it change anything? I use Sonar platinum
Have a look at the manual for the card. Its the same as your firewire mapping, so how many i/os you need depends on your use case.

You can record a full analogue mixdown with only converter 2 inputs on 31/32

If you want to sum you will need as many outs as you want (up to 30), then 2 ins for capturing the mix.

32x32 gives you all the overdub functionality.

If your converters come out on dsub connectors and you go in blocks on 8 you will save big on cables.

The orion or pulse32 are pretty ideal. Tascam makes a More affordable one as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen & Heath GSR-24M-f74ece1c-12e9-4f75-b73d-c7b7fee2831a.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Have a look at the manual for the card. Its the same as your firewire mapping, so how many i/os you need depends on your use case.

You can record a full analogue mixdown with only converter 2 inputs on 31/32

If you want to sum you will need as many outs as you want (up to 30), then 2 ins for capturing the mix.

32x32 gives you all the overdub functionality.

If your converters come out on dsub connectors and you go in blocks on 8 you will save big on cables.

The orion or pulse32 are pretty ideal. Tascam makes a More affordable one as well.
I record the mixdown in 31/32
But if I get 8 ad/da, can I still send the channels from sonar to the console or it will give me only 8 channels ? And would I be able to use all the faders and pans and eq’s as usual or the I need 32/32 converter ?
Gear Addict

Quote:
I record the mixdown in 31/32
But if I get 8 ad/da, can I still send the channels from sonar to the console or it will give me only 8 channels ? And would I be able to use all the faders and pans and eq’s as usual or the I need 32/32 converter ?
I think from your questions that you should read up/watch videos on this console a bunch more to get the hang of what you are planning.

The analogue board replaces the firewire board, so each signal you want to send to the board from your daw would need a dac channel.

If by ‘8 ad/da’ you mean an 8x8 then you can send 8 mono channels out to board and then use 2 adcs to capture the 2bus. Youll have 6 adcs left over at mixdown. You could use them to capture groups..

Yes all eq panning and routing works exactly the same on he analogue board as on the firewire board.

Think hard about cables and patch bays before you jump into this.

To recreate exactly what you have with the firewire, you would need the balanced card, a 32x32 interface, and (typically) 8 dsub male to male cables.

I havent used cakewalk since the 90s but most daws work roughly the same. Your milage may vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
I think from your questions that you should read up/watch videos on this console a bunch more to get the hang of what you are planning.

The analogue board replaces the firewire board, so each signal you want to send to the board from your daw would need a dac channel.

If by ‘8 ad/da’ you mean an 8x8 then you can send 8 mono channels out to board and then use 2 adcs to capture the 2bus. Youll have 6 adcs left over at mixdown. You could use them to capture groups..

Yes all eq panning and routing works exactly the same on he analogue board as on the firewire board.

Think hard about cables and patch bays before you jump into this.

To recreate exactly what you have with the firewire, you would need the balanced card, a 32x32 interface, and (typically) 8 dsub male to male cables.

I havent used cakewalk since the 90s but most daws work roughly the same. Your milage may vary.
Thanks man, I got it, the cables and patch bays isn’t really a problem, not even the budget also, all I want is to increase the quality and be able to record with low buffer size (32, 48) without having too much crackles, My pc is solid so I think the problem is with the firewire card
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Hi All,

I have a question about sensitivity of the fader and some faders sending midi data without using it.

1. When you perform a self mixer fader test on the GSR24M (mode 8) and you turn the wheel left the Solo knobs indicator should turn off and but touching the fader the solo knob Indicator turn on.
In my case in both direction the Indicator turns On.
What I need to do to make it work correctly?

2. When I perform a MIDI test i saw that some of the faders sending wrong Midi signals without being in use.
How can make them work correctly?
Is this two cases related?

Please Help me to solved this issue.

Thanks.

Last edited by google50002; 3rd October 2020 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10th October 2020
Here for the gear
I was able to get one of the balanced analogue cards last year, but am just now getting time to install it and connect it to a Ferrofish A32 Dante. I'm curious about the levels I am seeing, and am wondering how others have their cards aligned with their converters.

When I feed a +4 dBu signal into a line input, the channel meter reads 0. With the FW card, this came in to the computer as -18 dBFS. If I sent a -18 dBFS signal out of the FW card it showed up as 0 on the channel meter. Life was good

With the analogue card, the Ferrofish shows that channel coming in at -9 dBFS. If I send a -18 dBFS signal back to the board, it reads -9 on the channel meter.

If I connect the Ferrofish to the line input and direct outputs, +4 dBU = 0 = -18dBFS in both directions, just like with the FW card, so I think the reference levels are set correctly on the Ferrofish.

Breaking out the multimeter, my test tone and the ferrofish output both measure about 1.2v between hot and cold. The analogue card's output measures 2.4v between hot and cold, with 1.2v between ground and each leg. That doesn't seem right.

Does anyone else with a balanced analogue card have a similar problem? Those who are getting this new batch, what converters are you getting to go with it?
Old 10th October 2020
Hey everyone , this question might sound stupid but I’m struggling, whats the best way to connect you studio monitors to the console and have all your master sections works? Like the talk back, Dim, Mono etc....
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hey everyone , this question might sound stupid but I’m struggling, whats the best way to connect you studio monitors to the console and have all your master sections works? Like the talk back, Dim, Mono etc....
Use the CRM/Front jacks. I also have a smaller set of monitors hooked up to the Alt/rear jacks
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollojack View Post
Use the CRM/Front jacks. I also have a smaller set of monitors hooked up to the Alt/rear jacks
Amazing, stupid me never thought of it, the sound actually is pretty good with my new Adam S3H
I was thinking buying Avocet IIA
Do you guys think the sound will improve big time ?
Old 16th October 2020
Gear Addict

Hey all-

Power supply...

My RP15 power supply fan is getting loud. I seem to remember someone doing a low-noise fan mod long ago, but I cannot find details on the fan that worked. Anyone done this/know the spec/know a part that works?

BTW A-H told me that their spec for the power supply multicore is 15 metres max. Anyone run this board with a longer power cable? In case quiet fan isnt.
Old 17th October 2020
Gear Head

FAN REPLACEMENT

Fan replacement data

I saved this to Docs and also some pics.
I have never replaced mine YET

As Posted:

The fan I installed was almost exactly the same spec I got from Mike at A&H. I asked them if there was any way to quiet it down and he suggested there might be a computer fan that would work - but it would void the warranty on the power supply.

I decided to go for it - like you Scott, I mix and track in the same (biggish) space and need it quiet in there. I personally think it's too lout to use even for mixing.

The fan spec that comes with the unit is: 80 x 80 x 25, 12VDC with two leads and at full blast runs about 40 CFM, but the designer said it "runs a lot lower than that" to keep the noise down. The fan I replaced it with was the same size and voltage, and blows 25 CFM. So I'm definitely putting less air in there, though I don't know how much less - nor do I know how efficient the fan I bought is. So there is some risk, but I've been running the board for 2 days with no thermal issues. There is a red light on the power supply that will come on if it gets too hot.

Here's how I replaced the fan (there is a LOT of juice in there, so if you do this, know that and know how to deal with it):

- Unplugged it from the wall, then turned it on, hoping the board would drain the caps.

- Unplugged the board and popped the top.

- Checked for voltage in a bunch of places, and found some low voltage, used a lightbulb to drain it.

- Unplugged the old fan and made a connector to try the new one to see if it would work.

- Unscrewed the circuit board from the bottom of the unit (about 8 little screws), lifted it just enough to get to the fan screws, removed the fan and replaced it with mine, putting small squares of rubber from an inner tube between the fan and the mount. (Note - you'll need a bunch of different sized Torx screwdrivers - and precision ones because you need to get through a hole in the front of the fan with the shaft of the screwdriver to get to the screw head).

- Put it all back together. Took me about 15 mins.

It changed everything for me. Maybe my fan was louder than yours - but ithe original one was way too loud for my space before, and now I can't hear it at all unless I stick my ear right down next to it.

Again - it's not a supported mod, but I feel it is a necessary one

AND...

Thanks for the write up Johnny. I actually inquired about replacing the fan (in this thread I believe) back when I first got my GSR, but no one replied and I just learned to live with it. Your post has prompted me to take action. I just ordered this fan - ARCTIC COOLING ARCTIC F8 AFACO-08000-GBA01 Case Fan - Newegg.com. Claims 31 CFM at 22 dBA. I'll report back how it works out.

Hope this helps someone.
And I do hope that the original posters dont mind me reposting this.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Allen & Heath GSR-24M-img_4402.jpg   Allen & Heath GSR-24M-img_4403.jpg   Allen & Heath GSR-24M-img_4404.jpg  
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by google50002 View Post
Hi All,

I have a question about sensitivity of the fader and some faders sending midi data without using it.

1. When you perform a self mixer fader test on the GSR24M (mode 8) and you turn the wheel left the Solo knobs indicator should turn off and but touching the fader the solo knob Indicator turn on.
In my case in both direction the Indicator turns On.
What I need to do to make it work correctly?

2. When I perform a MIDI test i saw that some of the faders sending wrong Midi signals without being in use.
How can make them work correctly?
Is this two cases related?

Please Help me to solved this issue.

Thanks.
Does anyone seen this issue and know how to deal with it?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was able to get one of the balanced analogue cards last year, but am just now getting time to install it and connect it to a Ferrofish A32 Dante. I'm curious about the levels I am seeing, and am wondering how others have their cards aligned with their converters.

When I feed a +4 dBu signal into a line input, the channel meter reads 0. With the FW card, this came in to the computer as -18 dBFS. If I sent a -18 dBFS signal out of the FW card it showed up as 0 on the channel meter. Life was good

With the analogue card, the Ferrofish shows that channel coming in at -9 dBFS. If I send a -18 dBFS signal back to the board, it reads -9 on the channel meter.

If I connect the Ferrofish to the line input and direct outputs, +4 dBU = 0 = -18dBFS in both directions, just like with the FW card, so I think the reference levels are set correctly on the Ferrofish.

Breaking out the multimeter, my test tone and the ferrofish output both measure about 1.2v between hot and cold. The analogue card's output measures 2.4v between hot and cold, with 1.2v between ground and each leg. That doesn't seem right.

Does anyone else with a balanced analogue card have a similar problem? Those who are getting this new batch, what converters are you getting to go with it?
I’ve just order the Ferrofish 32a Dante. Just waiting for the analogue card to come. I will have a look at that. Have you contacted Ferrofish support? I’m also interested in how the ADAT setup on the Ferrofish will work with FireWire card as well. I tried the RME Digiface but it was a no go. Could not get the audio to come back to the board from my DAW. Were you able to get the Ferrofish to work with the GSR24?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by google50002 View Post
Does anyone seen this issue and know how to deal with it?
Same problem here!
Gear Head

Fader sending midi data when NOT touched

Greetings.
In test mode 8 when you scroll the data wheel
If the fader PFL lights are not responding to touching the fader you have an issue and if you dont know what the test mode 8 is then you will need to learn! NOT from me.

I have had some people say they just spray the faulty faders out!?

LET ME SAY
I would never just do that.

I had a couple of bad Fader Servo boards.
They are under the faders them selves and are in boards or 8 so there are 3 of them.
The faders plug into these.

You can if you know what you're doing or are capable switch the fader looms from say 7 to 8. The looms will reach "just"
[Or you could swap servo boards around to see if the problem fader issue moves to a different bank or 8 ...BE very very articulate & careful]

However if the issue moves to the next fader then you know you have a problem with the board! And so its not the fader.

If the fader still does not work correctly then you could take it out and maybe attempt to wash it?
I had to have microscopic cloth fibers removed!

Please be warned there are microscopic feeler wipes in there.

I do not think these these faders were just an Alps brand fader off the shelf as one would say.
I think they were custom made for Allen and Heath.

You might get one from Allen and Heath as a part.?

Because I was unthinking at the time.. I simply covered my GSR24M with a cloth however that cloth shed particles supposedly and my desk had all faders removed disassembled and cleaned of microscopic stuff.
Sure it fixed it but the repair guy ripped me off big time.

Hope some of this helps.
And I still have my desk.
Here for the gear

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the GSR24 club. Very happy so far but I'm in the troubleshooting phase.

I've mostly sorted out all my issues and am extremely happy with this board. One nagging thing I'm kicking myself over is that the AUX Sends do not follow the channel mute buttons. I would like my effect sends to "ring out" after I mute a channel, not just to continue playing audio if you know what I mean. If you're familiar with how sends operate in Ableton, that is what I'm looking to achieve through the console.

I think this setting for the AUXs is adjustable via the internal jumpers, but how exactly do I get to those jumpers? Is there any way to reach them from the top-down of the board, or would this be something I'd have to take the entire console apart to reach?

Last edited by nbb333; 2 weeks ago at 07:27 PM.. Reason: My question was dumb.
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hi, the "analog card" for the GSR24 from A&H states a maximum headroom of +21dBu. When you say that at +4dBu = -18dBFS it can be assumed that +21dBu is the maximum I/O level of this card. Because of the fact that the Ferrofish units can generate and receive a maximum level of +20dBu (exception: Pulse16 models can be ordered with a +24dBu factory option) you'll have to make sure to lower the output levels of the GSR24 by 1dB that you don't clip the ADCs. This also means that you'll also "lose" 1dB when you set your Ferrofish converters to the maximum GAINS and LEVELS values of "20" to match the gain range of the GSR24. This is because the GSR24 can generate and receive a maximum level of +21dBu, while the FF units only can receive and generate +20dBu. But I doubt that this will be audible.

I hope this helps.
📝 Reply