The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Plus vs. and or 002?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mix Plus vs. and or 002?

Is there any reason why I should want a Mix TDM system with an 888 & a couple of Farms over an 002?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Considering how powerful native systems are these days, I'd say no.

I've worked on a MIX3 system on a G4 before, and it was buggy as hell...pretty much unusable. A complete OS reinstall/system overhaul probably would have solved the problem. I know there are plenty of people with stable MIX systems that love them. But consider the cost, then consider, say, a quad opteron system for $1500 that has more processing power than an HD6 rig...

Doesn't Mix only support up through a certain version of Pro Tools?
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

I seem to remember a recent thread here discussing this issue - do a search, there were some good opinions expressed. And here's mine, for free!

I think the decision between the two boils down to what you are going to use it for. Basically, if you are tracking live bands, or any situation where you need multiple inputs and outputs, latency-free monitoring (for headphone feeds), big track counts (32+) and in especially if you are charging people on the clock and need to deliver without a lot of hassle, a TDM system is for you.

On the other hand, if you are primarily a "bedroom" studio, solo artist working mainly by overdubbing, or only interested in mixing/editing/post-production/etc., an 002 and a high-powered computer will probably serve you very well.

As far as stability goes (AlexLakis) a properly installed Mix system will be extremely stable. If it's not, it is not ProTools that is the culprit - more likely the problem is caused by version mismatches, cracked plug-ins, or some third-party software on the system.

And yes, Mix systems are version-limited - you can run up to ProTools 6.4.1. You are also limited as far as Mac OS - officially 3.5 (I think) although I am currently running 3.9 with no trouble.

And there, for free (which is about what it's worth) is my very own opinion.

best of luck,
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
Considering how powerful native systems are these days, I'd say no.

I've worked on a MIX3 system on a G4 before, and it was buggy as hell...pretty much unusable. A complete OS reinstall/system overhaul probably would have solved the problem. I know there are plenty of people with stable MIX systems that love them. But consider the cost, then consider, say, a quad opteron system for $1500 that has more processing power than an HD6 rig...

Doesn't Mix only support up through a certain version of Pro Tools?
i agree with is, i used a simillar system although i'm not sure what it was exactly it was a legacy TDM system of some sort using 888&882i/o running on a G4. As we were having to mix ITB anyways we ended up mixing the project on an G5 using an mbox 2 because we could run more plugs without it giving up on us.

Although we did have to bounce down some tracks to one (e.g. bass di & mic, kick in and kick out, guitar mics etc) to fit in with the 32tracks restriction on LE although I believe if you pay extra for the production toolkit it gets you 48 tracks. The TDM system gave us 64 tracks.

Although I found the audio engine in Protools gave up way before Logic does with regards to track count and processing.

Oh and yes i believe MIX won't run version 7 and up.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd take a Mix Plus in a SECOND over an 002. No contest.

Latency-free monitoring & realtime FX...

002's are so cheap -- get an 002 and an ADAT Bridge/24 ($200) and plug the 002 into the Mix rig for synths, etc. Or get a GIGASAMPLER into the ADAT Bridge. Then you're HAPPENING!

While you're at it, buy a legacy AD-8000SE -- man, this stuff was absoulte STATE OF THE ART 3 years ago. Do records really sound any better now?

Or do synths on Logic & export to PT.

I think a Mix rig on OS 9 is faster than anything, anyway (drum edits, etc.). No stupid pinwheels...
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replys. See I'm finding a couple of different engineers in town whom I respect that are on different sides of the fence.

I have Nuendo with a Lynx Two card & am real fond of it and perhaps my PC is not up to spec but I really like the idea of non-native.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'll take an 002 over a mix system.No fuss with latencey on the bussing network and ADC on most plugs, not to mention you can stay current with software.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search