The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ZenPro Modded HS80M???
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ummm how are the highs in the Zen Pro mods????? Because the highs in the stock he are absolutely unbareable. No one seemed to mention this at all seeing that some ppl result to tissue paper
Old 21st December 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
HS80M limiter mod

I did this mod to my HS80m's this morning. First impressions are that the dynamic range is wider, the highs seem smoother, and the lows I can feel more of. This definitely alleviated any thoughts I might have had of adding a sub. I guess to me though, the smoother sounding highs are what struck me most as I did not expect that after reading the other posts in this thread. In conclusion, if you mess with electronics at all, there should be no reason that you cannot or should not do this mod to your Yammies. You will be glad you did.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good, which caps did you use?

Sent from my U20i
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone dare switch to these coming from Adams?
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yammies, that sounds like something I had for dinner. Seriously, I want to puke every time I read this word. Sorry, moan zone, I know. I also seriously hate the HS80M, for real, and would recommend anyone to buy something better. I don't think they are professional quality speakers. I would rather monitor on cheap stereo speakers. Yes, I owned them. Sorry caveat emptor "buyer beware"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
Yammies, that sounds like something I had for dinner. Seriously, I want to puke every time I read this word. Sorry, moan zone, I know. I also seriously hate the HS80M, for real, and would recommend anyone to buy something better. I don't think they are professional quality speakers. I would rather monitor on cheap stereo speakers. Yes, I owned them. Sorry caveat emptor "buyer beware"
Have you heard the Zen Pro modded units?
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Have you heard the Zen Pro modded units?
Sorry, no I haven't, only the stock ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody have any new or more recent thoughts? I have A7's. Image seems to be ok, but I've heard from many that these modded guys are just beasts and worth way more.

All in all, as I understand it, they seem to sit right there(after the mod) with monitors in the $2k-$3k range, completely hanging with things like Dynaudio BM15's. I was looking into monitors in this range, so if these modded HS80's seem to fall into this level after the mod, this might just be my ticket.

Anyone?
Old 13th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Anybody have any new or more recent thoughts? I have A7's. Image seems to be ok, but I've heard from many that these modded guys are just beasts and worth way more.

All in all, as I understand it, they seem to sit right there(after the mod) with monitors in the $2k-$3k range, completely hanging with things like Dynaudio BM15's. I was looking into monitors in this range, so if these modded HS80's seem to fall into this level after the mod, this might just be my ticket.

Anyone?
I have the HS50s modded fron Zen pro and i love em. Im in a small space so 8s were not practical. My mixes are translating much better. There is no fatigue when i listen for long periods of time and they give a great stero image. Because they are smaller they dont produce that much bass, which is ok with me.
Old 24th March 2014
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Good day all!
Trying to locate HS8 bass limiter jumper on the board as I did in the past years with my HS80's. Very easy snip and very welcome difference. Anyone know off hand what number or location of said jumper? it is a different board on the HS8...well, the White edition anyway. Would greatly appreciate.
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Star Music ➑️
Good day all!
Trying to locate HS8 bass limiter jumper on the board as I did in the past years with my HS80's. Very easy snip and very welcome difference. Anyone know off hand what number or location of said jumper? it is a different board on the HS8...well, the White edition anyway. Would greatly appreciate.

hello, this is limiter removal on HS8 2014yr model.
http://i58.tinypic.com/x0phkl.jpg
red or just blue circle remove from pcb
expect darker, warmer sound, no more mids that are agresive, no liquid (cold and like with wide stereo effect)sound,bass is realy heavy now and more natural for me its ok... stereo imaging was a little fo the bad side now. but i believe after replacing caps and opams HS8 will sound amazing
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm interested in modding the Focal Alpha 80, looks like this monitor would benefit even more from a similar mod!!! More power and better components.
Old 6th December 2014
rjx
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I read the entire thread and didn't see anyone that has compared the stock HS80 / HS8 to the Zen pro Modded HS80 / HS8. I've read of people performing their own mods. And I've read of people using the Zen Pro mod, w/o comparing it to the stock version.

Would be interested in a side by side comparison.
Old 8th December 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx ➑️
I read the entire thread and didn't see anyone that has compared the stock HS80 / HS8 to the Zen pro Modded HS80 / HS8. I've read of people performing their own mods. And I've read of people using the Zen Pro mod, w/o comparing it to the stock version.

Would be interested in a side by side comparison.
me too
i have HS8, did just limiter off mod. but diference is very pleasant
now ordering opamps,.and electrolytic capacitors elna silmic (all of them )
film caps need replacement ?? laso some better capacitors after power suplly diodes...
Old 10th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Seems like the best thing for curious people would be to buy a second hand pair (cheap) and then send then off to Zen who only charge you USA guys $460 dollars which, at less than 300 of my British pounds, sounds like a pretty hot deal to find out if those rave reviews are right.

You'll almost certainly get back what you paid if you sell them on to anyone who can't be bothered to go through that same process.

If I was in the USA then that's what I'd be doing.
Old 12th December 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel dave ➑️
Seems like the best thing for curious people would be to buy a second hand pair (cheap) and then send then off to Zen who only charge you USA guys $460 dollars which, at less than 300 of my British pounds, sounds like a pretty hot deal to find out if those rave reviews are right.

You'll almost certainly get back what you paid if you sell them on to anyone who can't be bothered to go through that same process.

If I was in the USA then that's what I'd be doing.
If my mods will be good sounding i can do that in europe, for cheper price.
btw im professional in pcb solderings,and electronic repairs. so all jobs will be best posible quality.
Old 12th December 2014 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
There are a couple of reviews up on our mail in mod, guys who used the speakers before and sent them in, then heard them after.

Yamaha HS80M ZENPRO Mod Service | ZenPro Audio

Those were HS80M mail ins, we have done a bunch of these but normal for reviews, only a small % bother to come back and report what they think.

We know the differences here for sure and it is not subtle.

The HS8 is an improved speaker, but experiences the same changes with our full mod.

War
Old 15th December 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideris ➑️
i

If my mods will be good sounding i can do that in europe, for cheper price.
btw im professional in pcb solderings,and electronic repairs. so all jobs will be best posible quality.
UPDATE : nichicon 10000uF caps, all silmic II caps ,opamps BB 2134 are ready to be instaled and omg!!! :D Silver internal wires for speakers;D so soon my personal review coming....
UPDATE 2 : one speaker upgradet.. what a diference... !!!! even without silver wiring it was realy expensive sounding speaker... but woofer +silver 0.51mm wire, it sounds more HiFi , like my home very expensive system... with silver wire sound is more fluid, smoother, no harshnes.. so relaxed and sweet, but not slow or something in bad side... now my yahamas are perfect for mixes and even for casual listening...
speaker now reminds me like im in bar drinking beer ant listening real singer with live acoustics
UPDATE 3 : Video of diferences in sound :

almost stock(no limiter): http://youtu.be/iVqhdd_hcp8
fully moded : http://youtu.be/J6HRfwpIUO8
sorry for sound quality but diferences are huge, video made with sony z2 played trought usb - Audiolab M-DAC
Old 22nd September 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideris ➑️
UPDATE : nichicon 10000uF caps, all silmic II caps ,opamps BB 2134 are ready to be instaled and omg!!! :D Silver internal wires for speakers;D so soon my personal review coming....
UPDATE 2 : one speaker upgradet.. what a diference... !!!! even without silver wiring it was realy expensive sounding speaker... but woofer +silver 0.51mm wire, it sounds more HiFi , like my home very expensive system... with silver wire sound is more fluid, smoother, no harshnes.. so relaxed and sweet, but not slow or something in bad side... now my yahamas are perfect for mixes and even for casual listening...
speaker now reminds me like im in bar drinking beer ant listening real singer with live acoustics
UPDATE 3 : Video of diferences in sound :

almost stock(no limiter): YouTube
fully moded : YouTube
sorry for sound quality but diferences are huge, video made with sony z2 played trought usb - Audiolab M-DAC
I can't find the videos !.
If I replace with OPA2134 do I need to also add some bypass against fast oscillation ?
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Can any one please explain to the not so professional soldering and electronics public

Is the limiter snip a simple method to do or complicated ?

Maybe a simple.explenation ?
πŸ“ Reply