The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hiring:
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hiring:

Hey Slutz,

I thought i'd post a thread as i realised there are alot of aussies on gearslutz now

Anywho, i'm just wondering if there are any studios hiring runners/assistant engineers
preferably brisbane/gold coast area but if there something going down sydney/melbourne way that wouldn't be an issue.

I've done the usual emailing and talking to some owners up here, but theres no going. I'm at this stage where i'm considering moving to the UK (family there also) for six months and see how things pan out etc.

any help / tips are much appreicated.

Best regards,
Beck.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Good hunting man
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Beck,

Hows things?
I do think that you will really struggle to find a paying job in a studio although good luck. With the amount of course around there are so so many engineers with certifcates around now. A lot of studios are self run or a 2-3 person partnership. A lot are struggling.

I say this to the 1-2 emails/calls I get weekly. Network get to know bands/artists, then call me when you have work and we can talk about freelancer rates. If you bring a bit of work in then I will do you cheaper rates. So you make money charging on top of the cheap day rate and I make money from charging you.
Otherwise your saying to the studio I want you to pay me money for work the studio could often do themselves.
Most say well so what I have to find the work to bring in? I say yes......
You have to add value to the studio. There are not that many big studios around anymore. As said most have 1-3 owners trying to make a living from it.
Its a tough climate, I am not normally booked 7 days a week every week. If someone wants to freelance at my place I am cool about it and cut deals. Although I will not look at getting someone in on a wage anytime in the near future.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemc
Hey Beck,

Hows things?
I do think that you will really struggle to find a paying job in a studio although good luck. With the amount of course around there are so so many engineers with certifcates around now. A lot of studios are self run or a 2-3 person partnership. A lot are struggling.

I say this to the 1-2 emails/calls I get weekly. Network get to know bands/artists, then call me when you have work and we can talk about freelancer rates. If you bring a bit of work in then I will do you cheaper rates. So you make money charging on top of the cheap day rate and I make money from charging you.
Otherwise your saying to the studio I want you to pay me money for work the studio could often do themselves.
Most say well so what I have to find the work to bring in? I say yes......
You have to add value to the studio. There are not that many big studios around anymore. As said most have 1-3 owners trying to make a living from it.
Its a tough climate, I am not normally booked 7 days a week every week. If someone wants to freelance at my place I am cool about it and cut deals. Although I will not look at getting someone in on a wage anytime in the near future.
Yes that is exactly what i was thinking about, heading to the more freelance route,
and have a couple of studios in different price ranges for various budgets, and either
mix at the studio or have my own little mix suite (with proper acoustics of course).

But i was looking at a runner/assistant position to start off with and learn and watch the other engineers and get a familiararity of the studio etc. Where most "engineers" straight from SAE/Courses end up starting medicore studios because of the lack of options and jobs.

And thank you for comments dave, must appreciated. heh
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah the old can I come in and watch. If I help out by rolling up a lead or getting coffe can you teach me. Really as I say I really do not need a assistant. A freelancer to book time off me cool. A mini me who can get in the way no.. I have had some real idiots so I do not do it much anymore. The other thing is most only want to come in like one day here and there every few months. I have told a few people I would love a more permanant freelancer in the studio. I have like 5-6 guys use teh palce, but some only a day every month or so. I have a guy thinking of buying a day a week off me for his own project, so of course he will get a good rate as its more permanant.

Its a hard thing you come out of courses not fully ready to go as prac work is not really real world stuff. Some have done very little practical recording under a clock or at all. So yeah to go from there to paid gigs what do you do.
As said I get a lot of people who want me to finish off their education. Although unless I think they are going to put the time and effort in to looking for work when they are able. Really there is nothing in it for me. As I said I have had some real idiots come in for work experiance before and I rarely do it anymore. Although mid year is coming and I expect 10+ calls a week soon............
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Dave,

Yeah i kow what you mean. I think the only way is to start recording some local bands,
and when the money is avaliable upgrade or buy new mics/pres ect and build up.
Instead of outlaying $50K for the studio to find you only get a couple of projects a year.

Thanks mate,
Beck.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Beck,

If I did not have a studio. Personally I would look at what you had around that you can freealnce in.
Yeah a couple of nice pres, compressors,eqs and mics in your own kit helps.
Although if you look at $'s if your getting $200 a gig and the mic cost you $5k. Thats 25 bands to pay it off..........
So why not find two studios. One that you make less but has better gear for some bands..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search