The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
removing digital distortion
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

removing digital distortion

I recorded a band in the studio the other day and when I brought the Pro Tools session home and soloed the Kick drum I noticed that the signal going into the board was a bit too hot, and in turn, giving off some peak distortion when the kick hits. What is the easiest way to remove slight peak distortion? I've tried low pass filters of all kinds and have had no such luck. Thanks.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

yup... thats about it...

Or...

Press Delete, then re-track it.
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

I can't retrack it because the drummer is pretty much unavailable to do another session. I'll try your suggestion.
Old 19th May 2006

Nobody makes a plug-in soft limiter for this? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to code. As long as the overs weren't too bad.......

-tINY

Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

Nobody makes a plug-in soft limiter for this? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to code. As long as the overs weren't too bad.......

-tINY

Not unless you rewrite the laws of physics. A soft limiter can only prevent a signal from clipping in the first place. Once it is clipped and flat on the top & bottom, yer screwed. You can't un-clip it. You have turned a complex waveform into a simple square wave and you no longer have the information in the waveform that would tell you what the wave should be doing if it had not been clipped.

DP
Old 19th May 2006

But a limited waveform looks a lot like that already, just that the corners are a little more rounded (so they have less high frequency content).

For a kick drum, you could probably do this - you'd be screwed on most other insturments, though.

The trigger idea is probably the most expedient (or a side-chain opening a gate on a n oscilator).

-tINY

Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Maybe little tape distortion (like am track in Samplitude/Sequoia) can help to "redraw" clipping into something more musical. Let's try...
Old 19th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf
I recorded a band in the studio the other day and when I brought the Pro Tools session home and soloed the Kick drum I noticed that the signal going into the board was a bit too hot, and in turn, giving off some peak distortion when the kick hits. What is the easiest way to remove slight peak distortion? I've tried low pass filters of all kinds and have had no such luck. Thanks.

I'm afraid there is no "easy" way, unless it's a few stray hits, then you may try to redraw it with the pencil tool (which I'm not good at). The tools which mastering engineers have around, like the Cedar Declipper, or the Algorithmix descratcher, or the Cedar Retouch and Algorithmix Renovator, come closest to "fixing" clips without artifacts. Your mileage may vary. These tools are extremely expensive.

That said, a client who was mixing discovered some distortion in a bass track and ftp'ed me the bass track. I cleaned it up in about 15 minutes with Retouch and ftped it back. It's a lot better to try to fix these problems at mix time than at mastering time. Given that it's a kick drum in your case, there's probably a tool that will fix it without much artifact. If it's a lot of hits and not occasional distortion, the fix can get labor-intensive. I'm in Washington, DC this minute, and discovered that the original conservationists of the Star Spangled Banner made over one million hand stitches to try to preserve that flag! Now, in 2006, they have better conservation methods, and they've been meticulously removing every single repair stitch with a set of very sharp Fiskars scissors and tweezers. That's the way it can get if you have to repair Bass drum "clips" by hand. The Cedar declipper can do this automatically with amazing results, but it is expensive. We do not own one, but I can point you to someone who does and who can (probably) fix your bass track for a fee.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

If'n all else fails....and since there is a thread about the Flaming Lips right now....add distortion to the kick and make it a production decision.
Old 19th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Cedar Tools

There is a "de-clipper" plug in as part of the new Cedar for Pro Tools. It is awesome!
I did a fair amount of work cleaning up audio for an arts stylee tv show, where the camera man thought that seeing red meant seeing signal. This tool would have been worth getting an mbox/PT dongle for.

The only(huge) downside is that it only works with Pro Tools for Windows. The Cedar software is quite costly, although totally a case of "you get what you paid for"
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Adobe Audition has pro quality tools for these types of things. The UI is kind of sucky, but the audio quality is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg
e is a "de click" plug in as part of the new Cedar for Pro Tools suite. It is awesome!
I did a fair amount of work cleaning up audio for an arts stylee tv show, where the camera man thought that seeing red meant seeing signal. This tool would have been worth getting an mbox/PT dongle for.

The only(huge) downside is that it only works with Pro Tools for Windows. The Cedar software is quite costly, although totally a case of "you get what you paid for"
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13
use your distorted waveform to trigger a new drum. Use a level below peak to trigger from. Mute the original track.
or instead of triggering a new drum, find the one kick hit that didn't clip, sample it, and trigger this one if you wanna keep the original kick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search