The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seriously, SM7, SM7a, Sm7b - Is there a Difference?
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Seriously, SM7, SM7a, Sm7b - Is there a Difference?

I've noticed people on eBay are paying about 25% more for those old, bashed up SM7's than they'd pay for a brand new, warrantied SM7b. What gives? Are the original SM7's better mics than the a' and b's?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sure - the extra sludge layer of dust, nicotine and phlegm provides a warmth and ambience you won't get out of the modern version.

As I understand it, the eq switches were added to the SM7a, and the SM7b has a better cradle mount and a better foam pop filter.

I have an SM7b. I've never seen anyone who actually has compared the new with the old say that the old is better.

It's very likely that if you A/B a bunch of them, some would be better than others. But not necessary old or new.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Sure - the extra sludge layer of dust, nicotine and phlegm provides a warmth and ambience you won't get out of the modern version.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've used both the original SM7 and the SM7B. The only difference I noticed was that the grill on the original SM7 was all dented up.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

You can do a search, it has been covered many times. I've A/B them once and liked the new one better. Might have to do with the condition of the old mic...
Old 19th May 2006
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gooch
I've noticed people on eBay are paying about 25% more for those old, bashed up SM7's than they'd pay for a brand new, warrantied SM7b. What gives? Are the original SM7's better mics than the a' and b's?
I thought I had read once that the original one wasn't shielded as well so it could be noisyer in certain situations. Anyone recall?
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

I've compared the american and mexican versions. I don't know if they were a or b but they both had eq switches. I prefered the american. I don't think it's a 25% price difference though.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

IME, dunno about anyone else that posted cause, well, dunno but...

The SM-7B has less noise, and slightly less output. I went for the SM-7B over the others and have been very happy with it the last couple years.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

bump....very interested to here more real life experience comments!
Old 20th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe
bump....very interested to here more real life experience comments!
I would just buy the SM7b...
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

i've got both SM7 and 7B right in front of me now.

physically, the SM7 is a bit lighter shade. also, the grill holes are square shaped on 7, whereas round shaped on 7B.

it's weird cuz i read around here about the difference in volume. when i compared mine, they were about the same loudness. perhaps my SM7 (not B) is a later model; i did notice that there are 2 versions of SM7... one with the old Shure Bros. logo and the other with the same new styling as SM7B (but label do say SM7).

the 7B to me has a certain frequency in high mids that's really pronounced, like a really sharp Q around 2-3kHz, compared to SM7. on some ppl's voice (like mine), it can get a bit annoying. thank god i don't use this mic for my vox recording heh . but the bottom is much bigger and controlled on the 7B.

i do like 7 for its smooth/roundness, and it has a certain "pillow-yness" that i can't get on the 7B.

sometimes you need the smoove of SM7, sometimes you need the grit of SM7B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search