The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Rosetta 800 superseded soon ?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Apogee Rosetta 800 superseded soon ?

Do you think the Apogee Rosetta 800 will be superseded soon ?

Perhaps with a new model with a better clock ....

Or will this model be around for a while longer ?
Old 18th May 2006
It still seems pretty fresh to me.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
They *really* oughtta put an expiration date on these kinda pieces, you know, to avoid this very predicament.

I hate buying gear that looses value so quickly. Just feels wrong. But we all gotta do it.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

A friend mentioned to me that they were marked for discontinuation at the retailer he works for. He said that from that though, it could mean the store was going to stop carrying them in addition to the manufacturer ceasing production. So I've been wondering the same thing. Seems like it hasn't been around very long, and is still pretty darned well regarded...
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbox
A friend mentioned to me that they were marked for discontinuation at the retailer he works for. He said that from that though, it could mean the store was going to stop carrying them in addition to the manufacturer ceasing production. So I've been wondering the same thing. Seems like it hasn't been around very long, and is still pretty darned well regarded...
Hi-It seems that he was most likely talking about the rosetta80096 version. They are all out now as 192 versions for the same price. This is probably where the confusion lies
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Even the older stuff is still good like the Ad 8000 and psx 100, great converters, but I think the new rosetta series sound better, just my taste. I was going to buy a rosetta 800 soon. Though I may wait a little while yet after reading this.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ah jhknicks is probably right about that, screw it, I'm going to buy 1 soon.
Old 19th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

The Rosetta 800 192 is one of Apogees best selling products and is in no danger of being discontinued or replaced any time soon.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
The Rosetta 800 192 is one of Apogees best selling products and is in no danger of being discontinued or replaced any time soon.
Hey, Max, hows it going? I own a Rosetta 800 96kHz and I heard some talk about an upgrade path to make that unit a 192 for a nominal fee. Any truth to this viscious rumour? If there were, I'd take you up on it.

Old 19th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Hey, Max, hows it going? I own a Rosetta 800 96kHz and I heard some talk about an upgrade path to make that unit a 192 for a nominal fee. Any truth to this viscious rumour? If there were, I'd take you up on it.

Hey Max,

The 192K upgrade is $195.00 + shipping (for those that are not local). Give tech support a call at 310-584-9394 and they will get you an RMA# for the upgrade, or just email me and I can step it through for you if you would prefer that.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting -- is the difference between the Rosetta 96 and 192 merely the sampling rate? Is there no difference in signal path quality? Since I only ever record at 96 max, that would be good news for me and the used market.

So is there *any* difference in the sound quality of a Rosetta 96 as a pose to a 192?

Thanks Max.
Old 19th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Interesting -- is the difference between the Rosetta 96 and 192 merely the sampling rate? Is there no difference in signal path quality? Since I only ever record at 96 max, that would be good news for me and the used market.

So is there *any* difference in the sound quality of a Rosetta 96 as a pose to a 192?

Thanks Max.
None whatsoever.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhknicks
Hi-It seems that he was most likely talking about the rosetta80096 version. They are all out now as 192 versions for the same price. This is probably where the confusion lies
that makes total sense to me. I was having a really hard time believing that converter was going to be replaced already.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi, I bought my 2x Rosetta 800's used. Does the exchange rate still apply?
Old 19th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
Hi, I bought my 2x Rosetta 800's used. Does the exchange rate still apply?
Yes, as long as you register the units, you can upgrade them to 192K for the same price.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi!
I'm planning on getting a Rosetta 800 as soon as posible, and I'm confused as to the sample rate max in the new units...is it 192KHz or...96 with the option to upgrade? It's not clear in the apogee website nor in some dealers either!?
http://www.apogeedigital.com/product...?show=features

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rosetta800192/

Quote:
Sample rates up to 192kHz upgrade standard

Quote:
Sample rates up to 96k with optional 192k upgrade

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Hey Max,

The 192K upgrade is $195.00 + shipping (for those that are not local). Give tech support a call at 310-584-9394 and they will get you an RMA# for the upgrade, or just email me and I can step it through for you if you would prefer that.
Thanks, Max.

It seems like this is almost a no-brainer. I don't know that I'm going to be doing any recording at 192kHz anytime soon, but it seems like for $195.00 it would be smart to have the capability.

This thing has been absolutely trouble-free ever since it's been in my rack. Great unit. I'd buy it again, no question. Sounds great. I haven't given converters a thought since I got it.

Max
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been looking at the Rosetta 800 for double duty between my main PT HD setup and my 002 when doing remotes. The only downside when using it with the 002 is the inability to record 8 channels through lightpipe at 96K. That's not an Apogee thing that's just the ADAT lightpipe limitation.

If any Rosetta/PT (TDM or LE) users care to share how they're interfacing the two I'd appreciate it. I have the 192 and a 96 interface as well as the 002.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Jim.
I do not have the unit yet, but, I plan to use it up to 48KHz with my 002 thru lightpipe, higher sample rates if needed with a different software and the firewire connectivity option, and to PT HD with the HD connectivity option ... I realy doubt that I'll ever use it's 192KHz capability if not just for some stereo recordings that may benefit from it.
I'd really appreciate if someone could share some light as to the standard max. sample rate in the new units!
Thanks........................Joaquin.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Joaquin
I'm starting to think along similar lines. As far as accessing different software does anyone know if the Rosetta is compatible with Digital Performer?
Also, how significant is the clock difference between the AD16x and the Rossetta 192?
Old 19th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
Hi!
I'm planning on getting a Rosetta 800 as soon as posible, and I'm confused as to the sample rate max in the new units...is it 192KHz or...96 with the option to upgrade? It's not clear in the apogee website nor in some dealers either!?
The Rosetta 800 192K is the only version now available. The 96K version was discontinued in January.

Quote:
As far as accessing different software does anyone know if the Rosetta is compatible with Digital Performer? Also, how significant is the clock difference between the AD16x and the Rossetta 192?
The Rosetta 800 is compatible with DP, using the X-Firewire card or attaching the unit to a MOTU hardware device via lightpipe, etc. As for clocking, Apogee's C777 in the AD-16X DA-16X and Big Ben is the most advanced clock technology available. The Intelliclock in the Rosetta 800 is a very capable low jitter clock comparable to any other clock on the market, save for the C777.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thank you Max!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
I've been looking at the Rosetta 800 for double duty between my main PT HD setup and my 002 when doing remotes. The only downside when using it with the 002 is the inability to record 8 channels through lightpipe at 96K. That's not an Apogee thing that's just the ADAT lightpipe limitation.

If any Rosetta/PT (TDM or LE) users care to share how they're interfacing the two I'd appreciate it. I have the 192 and a 96 interface as well as the 002.

i want the 002r to have 8 channels of AES (but still cost less than 2k)

now that would be nice
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
The Rosetta 800 192K is the only version now available. The 96K version was discontinued in January.

The Rosetta 800 is compatible with DP, using the X-Firewire card or attaching the unit to a MOTU hardware device via lightpipe, etc. As for clocking, Apogee's C777 in the AD-16X DA-16X and Big Ben is the most advanced clock technology available. The Intelliclock in the Rosetta 800 is a very capable low jitter clock comparable to any other clock on the market, save for the C777.
Max, how easy is the software setup in DP and how reliable is the connection between the powerbook/DP and the Rosetta 192 when using the X-Firewire card. Will the software always see the rosetta and retain io settings?

Are the converters any different between the AD16x and the Rosetta 192?
Old 22nd May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
Max, how easy is the software setup in DP and how reliable is the connection between the powerbook/DP and the Rosetta 192 when using the X-Firewire card.
Works great. Setup is the same as any other Core Audio application. No drivers to install.

Quote:
Will the software always see the rosetta and retain io settings?
Same as any other I/O.

Quote:
Are the converters any different between the AD16x and the Rosetta 192?
AD16X is better. Better converter, analog section and PSU, plus the AD-16X has the C777 clock.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks max. thumbsup
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

hey max,

this is probably a no brainer and sorry if it is:

but you just said that the ad16x was better than the rosetta 800 yeah? when i checked out the prices it's roughly $6k (aus) for the ad16x and $5.2K (aus) for the rosetta 800. why is there only $800 (aus) between the two - when as far as i can see the only difference is that the ad16x is better and has 16 i/o
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

ad 16x adc and dac are separate units, so thats $12,000 here in Aus. Nothing wrong with the rosetta's except the price (great units I own a rosetta 200) , here in Australia anyway. Rosetta 800 is 8 channels of ad/da.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Works great. Setup is the same as any other Core Audio application. No drivers to install.

Same as any other I/O.

AD16X is better. Better converter, analog section and PSU, plus the AD-16X has the C777 clock.
This is weird Apogee logic.

Rosetta 200 and Rosetta 800 are both inferior products to 16X series.

1 ch of Rosetta 800 AD-DA costs ~ 350 $
1 ch of 16X AD-DA costs ~360 $

2ch and 8 ch converters do not match 16 ch sonical quality.
Big Ben improves them, still not same.

I can warmly suggest (after having all of them) to forget Rosettas and buy 16X series and if you need smaller number of great quality converter channels go with Lavry Blue, Lynx or Mytek.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang

1 ch of Rosetta 800 AD-DA costs ~ 350 $
1 ch of 16X AD-DA costs ~360 $
At $2700 I paid about $337 for each AD/DA channel. At the time, a channel of 16x AD/DA was 406.25.

But with the 16x you gotta buy sixteen at a time, or about $6500 street.

That's a lot different than the $2700 I dropped. If I had needed sixteen AD/DA, the $5500 vs $6500 woulda still probably made a difference.

See, I'm used to getting a better deal when I buy more of something. Check out Iams dog food. If you buy 40 pounds, it's about .70/pound. If you only buy 8 pounds it's over 1.10/pound.

Yeah, it's a conspiracy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search