The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Rosetta 800 superseded soon ?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
I can warmly suggest (after having all of them) to forget Rosettas and buy 16X series and if you need smaller number of great quality converter channels go with Lavry Blue, Lynx or Mytek.
How would you personally describe the sound of the Mytek compared to the Rosetta and the Lavry? I have the Rosetta; it sounds good to me, and seems to translate rock/pop music well. I have listened to the Lavry and to me it sounded more accurate or perhaps "cleaner" than the Rosetta. I have never heard a Mytek. What are your feelings on these three when used on acoustical (piano and vocal strictly) music? I know it can be hard to "describe" the "sound" of converters, but I thought I would ask if you could at least compare these. Oh, and have you ever demoed the Lavry Golds??

Thanks,

J.D.
Old 23rd May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is weird Apogee logic.

Rosetta 200 and Rosetta 800 are both inferior products to 16X series.

1 ch of Rosetta 800 AD-DA costs ~ 350 $
1 ch of 16X AD-DA costs ~360 $

2ch and 8 ch converters do not match 16 ch sonical quality.
Big Ben improves them, still not same.

I can warmly suggest (after having all of them) to forget Rosettas and buy 16X series and if you need smaller number of great quality converter channels go with Lavry Blue, Lynx or Mytek.
Not sure how you figured the math, but based on U.S. retail the cost per channel on a Rosetta 800 192K is $187.19. The cost per channel on an AD-16X is $218.44. Remember, the Rosetta 800 has both A/D and D/A....
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

"Check out Iams dog food. If you buy 40 pounds, it's about .70/pound. If you only buy 8 pounds it's over 1.10/pound."

But if you have a small dog, like me, you only want to buy a small bag to keep it fresh. My little dog only eats about 4 lbs. a month, so 40 lbs would be like 10 months old before she'd eat it all. I'd rather buy her fresh dog food once a month. She won't eat Iams at all, she has to have Kibbles and Bits.

She's very picky for a yappy little dog.

The moral to the story, just buy what you need.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Max:

I realize you weren't quoting me, but here's what I figure (street prices)

I think you have to figure the price for each channel of AD and DA since you can't separate the AD from the DA in the Rosetta 800.

I actually ran these figures when I was looking to buy converters.

AD 16x = DA 16x:

3250 + 3250 = 6500 / 16 channels = $406.25 per channel of 16x AD/DA

Rosetta 800:

2700 / 8 channels = $337.50 per channel of R800 AD/DA

Anyway, it's a silly point. It's like saying that since there's a better unit than the Rosetta 800, the Rosetta 800 is bad .

It's the same kind of logic that guys use when they buy gear and then the mfgr improves said gear after they bought it. Like they shouldn't make it better.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Not sure how you figured the math, but based on U.S. retail the cost per channel on a Rosetta 800 192K is $187.19. The cost per channel on an AD-16X is $218.44. Remember, the Rosetta 800 has both A/D and D/A....
I didn't compare list prices.
Well, seems I got better deal than usual street price on 16X, so difference per channel BOTH WAYS (means AD + DA) was rather marginal compared to Rosetta 800.
Still, 2 ch converter that is inferior to 16 ch is SHAME

In relation to sound, I prefer Apogee (16X) for rock and pop to Lavry, Mytek and Lynx, but Lynx Aurora 8 is closer to truth than Rosetta 800, same as 2 ch Lavry Blue compared to Rosetta 200.
As it was discussed zillion times on Gearslutz, Big Ben adds some pleasant nuances to both Rosettas, but it costs money and we never came to final truth wheteher Apogee just cleverly exploited effects of BB clocking to (additionally) supecharge sales of Big Ben (probably the most successful Apogee product so far) instead to elevate Rosetta's clocking and analogue input stage to 16X's level.

IMO it's time to replace Rosettas with better design, no matter what sales results show.
Old 23rd May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
we never came to final truth wheteher Apogee just cleverly exploited effects of BB clocking to (additionally) supecharge sales of Big Ben (probably the most successful Apogee product so far)
It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that we somehow manipulated the clock circuitry in the Rosetta to the benefit of Big Ben sales. Big Ben is successful because it is the most advanced clocking technology on the market and has proven itself over and over and over again. What's up G..... why the conspiracy theories?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Max, while your answering some questions, can you please tell me, since the free trade agreement between Australia and the USA why Apogee gear is twice the price here in Australia?? I mean our dollar is only 25% less, Apogee are losing alot of sales in Australia because of this extreme pricing. A Rosetta 800 192k can be bought at Sweetwater for $2695 while in Sydney Australia they want $5245 for a 96k version and still want to charge for the upgrade to 192k! Can we Australians buy direct from Apogee? Also still have our warranties and other support guaranteed if we do?
Although I doubt it would work this way I think something needs to be done about the pricing here as alot more people would buy better converters if the price came down a bit, Apogee could lead the way. This is'nt outer Mongolia in Australia we have a thriving music industry and more people would buy better gear if prices came in line with other countries. Our free trade agreement means crap all if Aussies are going to get ripped off like this, Apogee prices have not fallen since the free trade agreement. I'm just enquiring thats all, not flaming anyone, just interested.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still, 2 ch converter that is inferior to 16 ch is SHAME
OK, now I'm lost. Toyota makes several grades of trucks, and some are one thing and some are another thing. So f-ing what?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The Rosetta series sound great, also there is not much point clocking externally if the clock is excellent anyway, better off on internal so Bob Katz says, unless you need to clock alot of different pieces of gear to the one source. The 777 clock is just a little better than the others, no big deal. Either converter will do a superb job.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

sounds like the Australian importer is gouging , the Rosetta 800 is WAY cheaper

than that in New Zealand ... might be time to send these people a message ...

Apogee , do you guys have any swing with this kind of thing ? RRP etc ... ?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have 3 Rosetta 800's, 2 of which I brought second hand clocked to a Big Ben and I couldn't be happier. Maybe the 16x is better I haven't tried them but the Rosettas are still superb. I paid about $7000 for 24 channels of AD/DA and clocking at $290/channel with Big Ben factored in. Incidentyl I use thew Big Ben to clock a KSP8 and my MOTU 424 PCI card and 2x 2408 MkIII so it doesn't just service the Rosettas.

Out of interest what exactly are the improvements on the analogue side of the 16x compared to the Rosetta's? Can the Rosetta's be modified? As I said I'm totally happy with the Rosetta's, just curious!
Old 26th May 2006
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
Hi Max, while your answering some questions, can you please tell me, since the free trade agreement between Australia and the USA why Apogee gear is twice the price here in Australia?? I mean our dollar is only 25% less, Apogee are losing alot of sales in Australia because of this extreme pricing. A Rosetta 800 192k can be bought at Sweetwater for $2695 while in Sydney Australia they want $5245 for a 96k version and still want to charge for the upgrade to 192k! Can we Australians buy direct from Apogee? Also still have our warranties and other support guaranteed if we do?
Although I doubt it would work this way I think something needs to be done about the pricing here as alot more people would buy better converters if the price came down a bit, Apogee could lead the way. This is'nt outer Mongolia in Australia we have a thriving music industry and more people would buy better gear if prices came in line with other countries. Our free trade agreement means crap all if Aussies are going to get ripped off like this, Apogee prices have not fallen since the free trade agreement. I'm just enquiring thats all, not flaming anyone, just interested.
Hi Heathen,

I checked with Michael Horn of Sound Devices, Apogee's distributor in Austrailia. For starters, there are no 96K units left in stock, all of Sound Devices Rosettas have been upgraded to 192K by Apogee. According to Michael, Sound Devices has never charged or even quoted a Rosetta 192K upgrade. All of Sound Devices' stock is of the Rosetta 800 192K, at the previous 96K pricing.

If we compare prices using the list price, we find that US list is $2995.00 and the List or RRP of a Rosetta 800 192K in AUS is $4799.00 This breaks down as follows:

US List $2995
Exchange @ 75cents = AUS $3993
Add freight $200 = AUS $4193
Add local GST 10% = AUS $4612

A Savvy customer is just as capable of working a deal with a local Australian dealer similar to that of an American dealer or even better potentially. So based on all of this, the US & AUS pricing is very close – I know that Michael really tries to run a fair business and does a great job for his customers.

The free trade agreement between USA & Australia was enacted to remove any import duty on items imported into Australia from USA. GST of 10% still applies. As items like the Rosetta 800 did not have any duty imposed by the Australian Customs Agency, the free trade agreement made no difference on the price of Apogee products.

The key factor that changes the price on Apogee products is the US to AUS exchange rate .

Finally, the real benefit of buying locally is the support that Sound Devices is able to provide. They are also responsible for all warranty & service issues on any Apogee products purchased in Australia. For products purchased out of Australia , the unit must shipped it back to the USA for repair, and the freight bill alone would be $400.00 or more.

With pricing parody and local warranty service, it makes logical sense to purchase Apogee products from your local retailer.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, may I suggest emailing Michael Horn directly at: [email protected]. Also, For those in other countries, if you ever have a question about pricing at a specific dealer, you are encouraged to contact your local distributor for clarification. Of course, you can always email me as well, as I am happy to look into any issues for you.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

They best update thier website info then. When I see optional written before or after a sentence I will always assume the "option" will cost me something.
I worked the price out at $4319 with currency exchange freight and gst. The way I see it is thier advertised price of $5245 is nearly $1000 above the so called "haggled price". Obviously you can see that a price of $2700 from Sweetwater is a lot more attractive.
I have always bought locally and have bought from sound devices regularly, though an advertised price of a firm $4500 will appear more attractive than say a starting point for haggling at $5245. Usually you have to travel in there just to get a price as they wont say on the phone, paranoia or what? Im not trying to be a $#it stirrer I'm just looking for ways to save cash. Thanks for your reply Max, now I know if I pay more than $4500 I'm being burned.
I think apogee make great converters, I own a Rosetta 200 and will be buying an 800 soon if Mike H does me a reasonable price, now knowing 192k is standard makes it a better deal.
Originally I did think the upgrade to 192k would be expensive, as you can see $5000 plus purchasing an upgrade as well would have looked a small fortune to the average person just looking for new converters, I mean who would even bother asking really. Standard 192k at say $4500 is'nt too bad a price, I admit, still not great though.

Thanks for your time Max.

Check thier info if you care to.
http://www.etechgroup.com.au/soundde...cts.asp?ID=650
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I didn't compare list prices.

In relation to sound, I prefer Apogee (16X) for rock and pop to Lavry, Mytek and Lynx, but Lynx Aurora 8 is closer to truth than Rosetta 800, same as 2 ch Lavry Blue compared to Rosetta 200.

I have a 2 A/D D/A Lavry Blue and I love it.
Its inserted into my Lynx B two card who is clocked to the Lavry.

I like some more D/A's but $ 900 for just two extra D/A's (Lavry)is out of the question right now.
I was thinking to get me a Rosetta 800 (96k) and clock it to the Lavry.
Is this gonna give me a sort of Rosetta/Big Ben quality combination or even better?

Someone said to me clocking things next to each other gives each piece after that a slightely lesser clocking.
So, I'm wandering if I make the wrong approche here... .
Maybe three different brant A/D's clocking to the Lavry is not going to work fine?

gr. Tom
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Nut

Just for the record i was recently given a quote for a Rosetta 800 of $3500 AUD ... Brand new.. Not too bad at all i thought! ....And that wasn't from evil sound devices...their best was $4k
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

So, as of a year ago.. nothing planned to replace the rosetta 800. How about now???
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 View Post
So, as of a year ago.. nothing planned to replace the rosetta 800. How about now???
Don't see it happening..the current rosetta reaches 192k.. I don't see a demand for them to change yet
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Do you think the Apogee Rosetta 800 will be superseded soon ?

Perhaps with a new model with a better clock ....

Or will this model be around for a while longer ?
Check out the new Prism Orpheus interface. Get a big ben to improve sound quality if you already have a Rosetta 800. Prism is really great. Alot of people are raving a bout Lynx Aurora and Mytek Converters.

As long as you're not using a Digi 192 I/O you're okay.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi. Does delay compensation work with PT HD and the R800?
Thanks...Joaquin.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
Don't see it happening..the current rosetta reaches 192k.. I don't see a demand for them to change yet
I don't see a need for 192k at all, however there's no doubt that if Apogee wanted to revamp the Rosetta 800 it would be a significant update. they could put the C777 clock in it and update the analog stage to be on par or even better than the 16X series, put a cool new faceplate on it and they'd sell thousands of them. I'm wondering if they're planning to do this at any point as I want to buy a Rosetta but dont want the bigger and better version to come out a week later. I think Apogee have their hands tied with all this ensemble/symphony/mac/logic stuff at this point though. They only have (I believe) 33 employees...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search