The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing ITB - 1 project per album, or 1 project per song?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Mixing ITB - 1 project per album, or 1 project per song?

What do you guys prefer and why?
1 project for all songs, or each song on a separate project?
Cheers
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

using nuendo 1 project for each song,
otherwise the list of (for ex. snbtmsm57b) goes from 001 to sometimes 300 or more
(30takes/number/10numbers)

grtz,

www.tinpanalley.be
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Unless it was recorded live, where the tracks will be consistent, definitely one session per song.
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

1 Session per song unless its recorded live.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

So those of you who use 1 project per song, how do you go about mixing(eqing/compressors etc)?
Do you mix one song, then adapt your settings/plugin chains to the rest? If so, how?
Cheers
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
1 Session per song unless its recorded live.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use one session per song. If I'm on a tight schedule I mix the most 'typical' song and then save the channel settings individually and then load them onto the next song as a starting point. It always gets heavily tweaked from there but it's handy for repeating stuff like rolling off the bass on the overheads etc
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Depends on how many songs and how similar they are in instrumentation. A 3 song demo, no problem, I'd probably do all 3 in the same session. provided the instruments were all the same and tracked the same.

Most of the time though, separate sessions.

Dante
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
Unless it was recorded live, where the tracks will be consistent, definitely one session per song.
ditto - often there's extra players/instruments with singer/songwriters and certain ad-hoc groups, and things get complicated quickly with too many misc. tracks

File/track management is alot easier with 1 session/song!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I start with a master project-- a largely untouched file I add the word RAW to- meaning unmixed, unedited, etc.

I then mix one song, save that named as the song, version & date. I copy that project, rename it the next song, and continue working. If I create a radicallty different plug-in, I save it and recall the plug, or begin mixing from whatever song I think matches the song I am working on.

Once songs (and their many, many versions) are completed, the projects and 2-mix bounces get stored in folders that relate to their dates so I can pull back a file easily.

It works for me, and several other engineers I am close to have similar strategies- but hey, do whatever works for you.

Jim
Old 19th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Yeah, if this is one of those "album's worth of drums in an afternoon" sessions it's all in one project (Nuendo 2 here). During mixing though I'll typically copy and paste the songs out into their own project just to have a neater, cleaner project window.

War
Old 19th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

every song from scratch in it's own folder / session whatever you call it
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digamma
So those of you who use 1 project per song, how do you go about mixing(eqing/compressors etc)?
Do you mix one song, then adapt your settings/plugin chains to the rest? If so, how?
Cheers
One word....templates
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Depends on the kind of album.
If it's rather live-ish, or intended to sound live-ish, it's all one session, same w/ real live recordings.
If it's more different songs, instrumentations, etc, it's rather one session per song.
Or one session per style - have a project coming up w/ singer that is once accompanied by piano and once by string quartet, which will probably be two session files and the singer's channel settings copied&tweaked.

ALWAYS work on a COPY of the recorded session. So there's always the raw material on the HD as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search