The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neotek Elan users ? Quick question ?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neotek Elan users ? Quick question ?

Took delivery of a new 32ch Elan II some time ago. Only started install today as

I was waiting for local tech to finish cabling. Not many 120pin EDAC's used in

Europe apparantly...quite hard to source.

Anywho, I have a couple of questions for people used to these consoles...

I may well be missing something obvious, but I'm tired, and the manual is little

vague on these issues.

The EDAC's were done by hand, not with a crimping tool... so I want to check all

input channels to make sure none are duplicated by pins touching ( i.e. Mic input 1

showing up in another channel as well ).

It would be handy then, if I could get the meterbridge to meter channel inputs

or multitrack outputs for 24 channels, rather than just multitrack returns.

Surely the 24 meters aren't hardwired to meter only multitrack returns/line

inputs ? Again, might be missing something obvious, but manual didn't help.

Also, does anybody find the control room trim doesn't have quite enough gain

to drive monitor amps ?

Thanks,

Nathan
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Guru

I think the meters will read mic level in the channel is set for mic and not line, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

The monitor out is plenty hot to drive an amp or active monitors. I rarely get mine above 1/4 of the way. I do wish the steps were a little finer though.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I did try that, but thanks, I really just needed to know it was possible, obviously overlooking something.

Interesting also about your experience with monitor section, obviously a problem in my wiring or gain structure here too.

Will attack with fresh head today.

Cheers mate !!thumbsup thumbsup

Nathan
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Please be in touch with Mike Stoica at NeoTek/Sytek in Chicago.
He can sort out your questions.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

My monitor output knob never goes beyond 4. Its way hot ! I actually had to turn the input trim down 3db on my Adams because the signal was so hot going to them. I wish the detents on the knob were smaller also.
You say that you did not crimp the pins on your elco connectors ? how did you connect them to the wire ? Solder ? I had a problem with a few of my pin connections when I tested mine , I didnt peel the sleeve back far enough on the wire to make a solid connection with the pin. I just redid them and they work fine. I recommend investing in a crimp tool and an extaction tool tho , I couldnt imagine trying to do it without.
Give Mike a call and he can answer all your questions. If he cant , then call John , he is probably the one that wired your console and he is a great resource of information. He's a real nice guy too.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys... emailed Mike at the same time as I posted this. I expect he will get back to me later today.

Got everything more or less sorted out, although I did waste some troubleshooting time on a quick mix through the console...couldn't resist.

Really liking the EQ, and I can see the way the desk is laid out suiting my workflow alot.

I actually suggested that I buy the crimping tool to my tech, but, he's German and wanted to solder them extremely efficiently. So he did. Probably faster than I could've crimped it. And tidier. You should have seen him tear through soldering those TT bantams...I burned a hole in my thumbnail attempting one of them.

Finer indents on the monitor level would be nice alright, but feeling good at the moment with the dramatic difference I'm hearing in preamp and eq quality.

Thanks for the replies,

Nathan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search