The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Had to share this
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut
Had to share this

I've been trying to tell some computer based "musicians" that a good soundcard matters. Especially the DA par if you're making electronic music. And then this pops up. Don't comment. I just needed to post in a sane world.

You, my friend, are delusional. You have came here and made a huge claim yet fail to prove your point. The most important part of a soundcard is the DA converters. However, if you are not recording into the soundcard, it doesn't matter. You claim my statements as ignorant and stupid, yet you have no clue what you are talking about.

Show me where the DA converters come into play. You record into them. And if you are going out to a sound board for mixing(which you couldn't do on a SB), you go through them. But for your headphones and computer speakers, SB cards just have a standard jack. No different then what is on many higher end cards. You HEAR the music just fine. The converters are for transferring digital signal to analog, or vice versa. But the signals from synths are ALREADY DIGITAL. They don't need converting, and so they don't go through the converters. Simple.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Macaroni and Cheese!!
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

thats quite funny and actually quite a good guage of the level of understanding of basic engineering principles many people have.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why bother correcting the n00b? If you want to damage him the most then let him stay ignorant. His problem, not yours.

That's what I do these days when I meet know-it-alls. I just don't want to waste the time and energy arguing, I have better things I want to do and there are better uses for my time.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
If you want to damage him the most then let him stay ignorant.
LOL
Old 19th May 2006

But I thought that the speakers were "digital reference".....

-tINY

Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Holy Sheet! LOL!

I'm surprised he didn't mention the high-quality phase-cancelled signal-free outputs.

Old 19th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

But I thought that the speakers were "digital reference".....

-tINY

They are, but if you use spdif it doesn't matter... Because of compression.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm sort of with the delusional guy ... sorry.

If he is making typical electronic music, the soundcard isn't going to be part of the signal chain at any point.

Samples and loop CD's, Virtual instruments and external modules with s/pdif - all of these get audio into his DAW without using A/D converters.

I guess this is why you labour the D/A part? Because D/A affects his monitoring?

The D/A certainly won't be part of the signal chain either - because he will export a wavefile from the DAW.

No part of his sound will go through any converter - A/D or D/A. None.

In real terms, I don't believe a cheap soundcard affects the mixing of electronic music much at all. Seriously. I would be far more worried about his monitors and acoustics - far more worried.

A cheap soundcard D/A usually has too much noise and jitter to get audio out of the box - which is why he would stay ITB all the way. But it won't affect his mixing nearly as much as his monitors and acoustics.

Noisefloor is hardly an issue with virtual instruments - so a bit of noise from his D/A while monitoring won't be an issue. Jitter won't be an issue, because the rendered audio file won't depend on a quality clock - it's just data.

So sorry, but I think you have a communication issue, and you need to understand your clients a bit better.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Also, assume that most people making 'tarnce' music are dyslexic. So I overlooked that part about recording into the D/A converters ...
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut
Kiwi: Are you saying that electronic musicians don't need to monitor? I suspected that they just used presets and prefabricated samples and loops, but still... I was just trying to tell these people (there were a few more that ment that a SB or onboard soundcard was as good as a RME or similar) that the DA matters when you're listening.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

this guy may be talking about just doing everything ITB (gay) most of the serious heads are making the tunes on software but running them out into mixers and outboard gear

ie dom and roland uses a old studer desk
Adam F runs all his tunes through a ssl

Adam Jay is also on here he is a very wll known techno porducer and you have probly seen his Rack

any way i am not defending this guy at all i myself have ran into several idiots saying that " mp3s are fine there is no need to make it a regualr cd "

and on and on and on idiots make our lives interesting it becomes something for us to talk about around our peers and besides most idiots work at starbucks
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

@ kiwiburger

But look at what the guy says:

"Show me where the DA converters come into play. You record into them." ---- nope

"But for your headphones and computer speakers, SB cards just have a standard jack. No different then what is on many higher end cards. You HEAR the music just fine" --- What so we have digital jack sockets, headphones and ears nowadays?

He's clearly barking up the wrong converter
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

Of course he's right. And anyway, good cables will compensate for weaknesses further up the signal chain. I mean don't you remember a good meal when the dessert's fantastic?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search