The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cubase, delay comp, pinging outboard
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

cubase, delay comp, pinging outboard

alrighty,

when using multiple outboard processors as inserts with cubase sx3 would i have to "ping" each new (ie different) series of units for delay compensation to function properly?

eg: DA> EQ A > COMP A > EQB > COMP B > AD, etc.

regards,

richie.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yes. Different gear can pass signal at different speeds.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, i thought so.

pain in the ass. but isn't it really just pinging the soundcard / converters / buffers / etc.?

i mean, taking all that digital stuff out of the equation and replacing the AD/DA in and outputs with an analog desk insert point and the amount of time it takes to get through the inserted analog equipment is NOT taken into account by delay compensation. and it works. and has worked for years!

so what's up with that?

regards,

richie.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Not sure I totally get your question, but;

From what I understand, what we call "latency" (i.e. some kind of time delay) exists in all signal transmission regardless of converters and whatnot to some degree.

You might be able to get away with it in most analog cases but it never hurts to be careful... As an experiment see if the delay time varies from piece to piece, or as you add gear to the signal path. I've never inserted any outboard in Cubase so I'm not sure where this gets displayed, I could go RTFM but I usually act on a need-to-know basis with this kind of thing.

That's all I can say, maybe someone else can really give you the real low down...
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

no worries man,

i'll have to go check this out now or it'll bug me.

regards,

richie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search