The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audix D4 vs. D6, which is the most versatile?
View Poll Results: D4 vs D6, which one is the most versatile?
D4
17 Votes - 89.47%
D6
2 Votes - 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

audix D4 vs. D6, which is the most versatile?

I´ve read a lot of threads about audix mics at GS and now I´m about to buy some. I´ve been listening to several shootouts and I was thinking D2 for rack toms and D4/D6 for floor but I want to be able to use them for other instruments as well, so my question is which one of the D4 and D6 is the best "multi purpose" mic?
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

D6 is a one trick pony...but it's pretty good at it.

however, having them both I must say that D4 is the versatile one.
Old 18th May 2006
TML
Lives for gear

The d6 has that scooped metal/punk thing for kik...have used it on floor...seemed to dump too much meat of the drum...then again some like that wet slappy tom thing
tim
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Since I already have a kick mic that I like (N/D868), should I go for the D4?
I´ve heard the D6 on different kicks and can imagine how it would sound on fl. tom.
Could anyone mention a few things that the D2/D4´s are good for, apart from toms?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

oookay.. you'll probably all think this opinion is too harsh.. but anyway..

D6.. reasonable for one sound of kick.. completely useless on anything else..

D4.. not great on kick.. pretty reasonable on toms (quite good on floor) and okay on bass..

so.. my answer is.. the D4 is more versatile.. but buy something else (atm25)
Old 18th May 2006
Deleted User
The d3 is great on guitar amps, snare top, horns... anything loud.

One of the best for guitar amps...
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the sound of the D6 on kick, I can get what I want from almost ANY kick I've tried it on( ok, that IS limited to: traditional/straight ahead jazz, funk, progressive jazz, rock, metal, & punk) I feel it is better than a D112 or beta 52. Sometimes if its not right immediately, go to the killer: an RE20 or M88 and get what I want. In general, its my first choice for kick.

The D4 can do kick like a beta 52 and can do floor, bass cab, or anything kind of like an RE20 but WITH the proximity effect. That makes it more flexible/versatile IMHO. I would not use the D6 on a bass cab because I don't want the middle octave scooped!

Hope this thoughts help- remember, my opinion anf five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks- if you wait in line.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if you want something fairly versatile, look into a AT ATM25. Rocks on Toms, pretty nice on Kick, sounds good on bass amps too.

D6...GREAT kick mic tho
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

I have a couple of D2's and a D4. I've used the D4 on kick and liked it quite a lot, but generally prefer the D112 for my work. D2's are my favourite tom mic, but I use the D4 on floor tom often and it works great. My favourite use for my D4 is micing the 15" speaker in my 70's Ampeg B15N bass amp - it's FANTASTIC for this. I've also really liked it on clean, jazzy guitar tones (like a hollow body through a Twin or something like that). The D2's I use regularly on 4X12 cabinets for more distorted tones, and also to mic my Leslie cabinet. YMMV Hope this helps. Brent
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I had the D6 and sold it. It's one trick wasn't for me. I preferred the sound I got with the D4 (with alot of EQ'ing) but sold it to get the D6. Lately I have been really happy with an AT4047 outside in front on the kick. I'll put a 421, RE20, or Beta52 inside just in case but in mixes they are barely used if at all.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like a lot of ppl prefer the D4 (not a big surprise though). I´d like to hear a few samples of the ATM25, I´ve only heard one shootout with it and it wasn´t very convincing. So if anyone has some samples of toms (and other instruments as well) recorded with atm25 and would like to share them, I wouldn´t say no

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search