The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative to PT HD
Old 17th March 2012
Here for the gear

Alternative to PT HD

Hi there,

I have an old mac with PCI slots (G4) and I'm using a Yamaha01V for digital conversion into Digi002 for the moment. Now I'm thinking to upgrade the sonic quality by using better A/D conversion. I was wondering if it is possible to go for Lynx Aurora 8 and use the Digi002 for editing. How good would such a system be compared to the PTHD?

Would be grateful for any advice!

Best,
Will
Old 18th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamthesecond View Post
Hi there,

I have an old mac with PCI slots (G4) and I'm using a Yamaha01V for digital conversion into Digi002 for the moment. Now I'm thinking to upgrade the sonic quality by using better A/D conversion. I was wondering if it is possible to go for Lynx Aurora 8 and use the Digi002 for editing. How good would such a system be compared to the PTHD?

Would be grateful for any advice!

Best,
Will
Sonically? Identical to using an hd rig with the aurora conversion.

Workflow? Significantly worse, assuming you stay on pt8 or earlier with the g4. Upgrade to a newer computer, and pt9 or 10, and you get lots of software improvements. You still won't have the reliability, close to zero latency monitoring, or dsp powered plugins of hd though.
Old 18th March 2012
Here for the gear

First, thanks for the reply, Psycho.

The Workflow story would have been my second question. Thanks for the hint on that one. I'm running PT9 at the moment on my iMac. My plan is to run everything through the Yamahao1V and record via the LT-ADAT. So I'd monitor directly from the desk with no latency. The story with the G4 seems to be a bad idea then.

Talking about DSP Plugins and HD processing. Are those algorithms really much more powerful? Anyone made a comparison between two projects using RTAS and HD software?

Any further comments are very welcome.
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

I went PC for Pro Tools 9 and haven't looked back.

I can finally use the converters I want to use (RME), keep the computer side of things cheap and easier and I gained processing power to be honest.

I'm more of a PC guy though...as much I would love a new Mac tower it's better for me to save money for Analog equipment, mics and occasionally paying actual bills.

I've used TDM and HD systems extensively over the years and could never afford to go there personally, so...since it's an investment I would talk to Sweetwater and Avid directly about a trade in program to see about getting something what you have.

But ultimately I think PT9 and PT10 have kind of put the kibosh on most of the older HD systems, I would only remain where you are if you are ultimately incredibly comfortable with your sound. (I have friends who haven't upgraded running early HD machines still who make a nice living that I can think of right off the bat...I mean we're talking 7 or 8 year old systems or older, they don't touch a thing and just press record)

It's all about what you really need to do, functionality and cost.

I get great conversion for a lot less money using RME equipment that to my ear has been superior or equal to HD converters by Digi.

And I haven't had to spend nearly the money most people seem to be throwing out the window on more expensive units. My clients never seem bother asking me about "conversion" anyway, since they care about pro tools, "new-man" mics and making songs.

I run tons of plugs and I hardly ever make a dent in my system usage. Sound quality is amazing and getting better all the time. And now I'm putting money together for a small frame discrete analog console. (Which should make a bigger different than upgrading pro tools again) So...no complaints.
Old 18th March 2012
Here for the gear

Hi Man,

your reply is very helpful and goes straight into the direction of my stream of thought. I was working with HD and RTAS sometime and it never made a huge difference in those cases where the raw material is right, the arrangements good and the songwriting spot on. Therefore, I believe that I'll go for a good Converter and stick to the PT Software on the computer that just lies around (like the iMac for instance).

I'll check your converter suggestion. Did you ever compare it to the Lynx Series? I'm now thinking about upgrading the O1V with a MY16TD Card. This would offer a 8Track 96kHz recording opportunity (or 32Track 48kHz). Just in need of a suitable interface then.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks to both of you for the inputs so far!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search